4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
CatchOfTheDay
July 27, 2011, 9:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
sounds like a great game looking forward to seeing the highlights on mariners player!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Super Clive
July 27, 2011, 9:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
doubt it.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Stew0_0
July 27, 2011, 9:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,197
Gold Stars: 35
2 goals each for artus and elding (1 pen) and goal each for duffy and mulready
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
acko338
July 27, 2011, 9:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
I look forward to the Lincoln fans having their post match viewpoints after THAT result - Town must have failed somehow in their eyes!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
cleeimp
July 27, 2011, 10:03pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0

I have a good feeling for this coming season after this seasons display because its such a long time that we have had so many player who can find the old onion bag and also  a team of different player  who can last 90 mins and turn on the style I know they are some teams who we have played who are below us but our lads did a job they were ask to do unlike so many times last season.
cleefish.UTMM!!!

cleefish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
BigDez
July 27, 2011, 10:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -1
Clean sheet too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
Noo
July 27, 2011, 10:12pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from acko338
I look forward to the Lincoln fans having their post match viewpoints after THAT result - Town must have failed somehow in their eyes!

Lincoln played Barton last week, they won 2-0 and it looked like an easy match for them.  I thought Barton tried more tonight...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
AndyGTFC
July 27, 2011, 10:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +807
Gold Stars: 5
Just back and we played very well tonight, let our superiority shine through. Played some good football and scored some nice goals.

Artus looked very good in midfield and was probably our best player, he's very creative. Scored two goals and set up another with a great ball.  Duffy and Mulready linked up well in attack too. Was also nice to see Elding get his first couple of goals when he came on. Two good finishes and if he can do that for us this season then there will be no complaint from me.

All in all, a great workout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
Harry Haddock
July 27, 2011, 10:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Thanks Andy. Looks promising  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
BruceytheFish
July 27, 2011, 10:57pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 1
I agree very promising, i have to say i've loved everything Scott & Hurst have done with the club since the day they joined.

Under these two good times i am sure are on the way.

Like Mr Fenty i am Massively Optimistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
zorro_is_a_Mariner
July 27, 2011, 11:02pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from BigDez
Clean sheet too.

Yes good peno save.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:07pm
Guest User
Just back.

Funny old game - felt strangely underwhelmed until the 2nd half when the chances and goals started flowing.

To me, Barton looked to have some fair attacking players (without too much imagination or cutting edge) and caused us 1 or 2 problems(especially 1st half) but looked pretty damn poor at the back.

Obvioiusly you don't read too much into these things - we fielded an under strength side but despite the scoreline had a few small concerns
Despite the clean sheet the defence didn't look completely solid tonight - lots of players blew hot and cold.
Headless chickens also spings to mind at times, but hey it's just a workout and pleased to hear Scott said on RH they haven't really started the footballing side of things yet.

Several positives to take but think maybe 4-1 would have been a fairer result.

Startng team

.......................Arthur
Silk........Marshall.....Pearson.....LB trialist ?
Southwell.....Thanoj....Artus.......Eagle
,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mulready........Duffy

Arthur 7.5 - Vocal. Little to do but made a good penalty save and tipped it away after Pearson gave the ball away.
Freeman 6.5 - Looked alright in the air, but didn't really impress me very much. If he's on trial think we can do a lot lot better.
Marshall 7 - Made some good headers but also lost out in the air a lot too. Don't think he's up to being 1st team centre back.
Pearson 8 - Only made 1 mistake when he lost ball in defence otherwise safe as houses. Obvious threat at set pieces again.
Silk 6.5 - Blew hot and cold I thought. Plays some good passes but lost out in the air more than I thought he would and looked a tab vulnerable when being taken on.
Eagle 8.5(MOM) - Made a few errors but looked the quality player to me tonight down the left with his penetrating passes. Good right footed cross to set Mulready up for the first goal. Corners were a lot better tonight.
Artus 7.5  - Set up Duffy for the 2nd goal with a little dink pass behind the defence(suprised it wasn't offside). Hit a cracking freekick which Coulson headed onto the bar from the goalies save. His last goal was a cross(did ok again with those) that evaded everyone and dropped in. Despite his goals and assists was more impressed with his Barnsley performance but maybe that's the sign of a good creative player.
Thanoj 7.5 - Wasn't setting the world on fire until some good passing play 2nd half.
Southwell 6.5 - Good in the air again but a shade disappointed - when he got the ball in space I thought he could have made more use with his runs and seemed to want to run down the wing when there were opportunities to hurt the defence in the centre.
Duffy 7.5 - What you'd expect, some very assured hold up play and a mixed bag of passes.
Mulready 7.5 - Unmarked when scored with a glancing header. Passing and oldup play was variable but pulled a good ball back for Artus's goal and think he has some potential even if he never looks assured in possession. Good movement and had a couple of good chances + hit the target but maybe should have scored 1 of them.

Subs:
Bradbury 8 - Looked pacy and very dangerous running with the ball. This lad was looks a hot prospect to me !   Not afraid to get stuck in too.
Elding 7.5 - Like last night his touch looked rusty but he scored the penalty and an assured finish. Sure he'll be an asset of sorts with his size and experience when he gets 100% fit and sharp.
Coulson 7 - Came on up front but hardly involved. One poor touch I saw. Probably needs space to run with ball and woudl like to see him play behind a front two.
Wood - 6.5 - Hardly involved but got done by the attacker down his left side again !  

Grant(CB) + Central Midfielders - hardly saw anything of them tbh.

Thanks to the OS for telling me who all these missing players were.
Reply: 11 - 33
bax
July 27, 2011, 11:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Thought Pearson was immense, won every single header in both boxes and nearly scored at end of 1st half. Also thought young Bradbury did very well. Not big enough yet but looked much better than Southwell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:12pm
Guest User
Totally agree bax, who is this Bradbury ? He looks a decent prospect to me.
Reply: 13 - 33
upthestripes
July 27, 2011, 11:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

Yes good peno save.

Justice was done tbf. I was behind the dugouts and the Barton bench were laughing their arses off at the ref for giving that peno. The lad tangled himself in a knot and tripped over his own feet.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
upthestripes
July 27, 2011, 11:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Do you know who the really young-looking lad was who came on about 20 mins from the end? Had long-ish hair. Am sure RS kept calling him Jack

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
bax
July 27, 2011, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
The right winger, number 17? He's a YT called Jack Bradbury. Was brought down for Town's pen. He looked good running at defenders but barely tracked back and looked a little lost positionally. He had a good turn of pace though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:21pm
Guest User
That's him !  
Reply: 17 - 33
foreverloyal72
July 27, 2011, 11:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from 1600

jack bradbury is a 2nd year yt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
upthestripes
July 27, 2011, 11:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from bax
The right winger, number 17? He's a YT called Jack Bradbury. Was brought down for Town's pen. He looked good running at defenders but barely tracked back and looked a little lost positionally. He had a good turn of pace though.

Yeah that was him cheers. I thought he looked quite decent tbh. Played a nice through ball that was a lovely idea but jsut a little bit too hard and went out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:24pm
Guest User
I'd give him a contract right now, might even stick him on the bench.
Reply: 20 - 33
foreverloyal72
July 27, 2011, 11:25pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from 1600
Just back.

Funny old game - felt strangely underwhelmed until the 2nd half when the chances and goals started flowing.

To me, Barton looked to have some fair attacking players (without too much imagination or cutting edge) and caused us 1 or 2 problems(especially 1st half) but looked pretty damn poor at the back.

Obvioiusly you don't read too much into these things - we fielded an under strength side but despite the scoreline had a few small concerns
Despite the clean sheet the defence didn't look completely solid tonight - lots of players blew hot and cold.
Headless chickens also spings to mind at times, but hey it's just a workout and pleased to hear Scott said on RH they haven't really started the footballing side of things yet.

Several positives to take but think maybe 4-1 would have been a fairer result.

Startng team

.......................Arthur
Silk........Marshall.....Pearson.....LB trialist ?
Southwell.....Thanoj....Artus.......Eagle
,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mulready........Duffy

Arthur 7.5 - Vocal. Little to do but made a good penalty save and tipped it away after Pearson gave the ball away.
Freeman 6.5 - Looked alright in the air, but didn't really impress me very much. If he's on trial think we can do a lot lot better.
Marshall 7 - Made some good headers but also lost out in the air a lot too. Don't think he's up to being 1st team centre back.
Pearson 8 - Only made 1 mistake when he lost ball in defence otherwise safe as houses. Obvious threat at set pieces again.
Silk 6.5 - Blew hot and cold I thought. Plays some good passes but lost out in the air more than I thought he would and looked a tab vulnerable when being taken on.
Eagle 8.5(MOM) - Made a few errors but looked the quality player to me tonight down the left with his penetrating passes. Good right footed cross to set Mulready up for the first goal. Corners were a lot better tonight.
Artus 7.5  - Set up Duffy for the 2nd goal with a little dink pass behind the defence(suprised it wasn't offside). Hit a cracking freekick which Coulson headed onto the bar from the goalies save. His last goal was a cross(did ok again with those) that evaded everyone and dropped in. Despite his goals and assists was more impressed with his Barnsley performance but maybe that's the sign of a good creative player.
Thanoj 7.5 - Wasn't setting the world on fire until some good passing play 2nd half.
Southwell 6.5 - Good in the air again but a shade disappointed - when he got the ball in space I thought he could have made more use with his runs and seemed to want to run down the wing when there were opportunities to hurt the defence in the centre.
Duffy 7.5 - What you'd expect, some very assured hold up play and a mixed bag of passes.
Mulready 7.5 - Unmarked when scored with a glancing header. Passing and oldup play was variable but pulled a good ball back for Artus's goal and think he has some potential even if he never looks assured in possession. Good movement and had a couple of good chances + hit the target but maybe should have scored 1 of them.

Subs:
Bradbury 8 - Looked pacy and very dangerous running with the ball. This lad was looks a hot prospect to me !   Not afraid to get stuck in too.
Elding 7.5 - Like last night his touch looked rusty but he scored the penalty and an assured finish. Sure he'll be an asset of sorts with his size and experience when he gets 100% fit and sharp.
Coulson 7 - Came on up front but hardly involved. One poor touch I saw. Probably needs space to run with ball and woudl like to see him play behind a front two.
Wood - 6.5 - Hardly involved but got done by the attacker down his left side again !  

Grant(CB) + Central Midfielders - hardly saw anything of them tbh.

Thanks to the OS for telling me who all these missing players were.

danny grant never came on neither did brodie blankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
bax
July 27, 2011, 11:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Two young kids came on and played last 5 mins. One played centre half with Marshall. Don't know who he was though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:29pm
Guest User
A CD and CM defintely came on just before the end.

The OS said
"Danny Grant replaced Pearson at the centre of the Town defence, before Thanoj was also replaced as the final whistle approached."

Was Brodie Blankly the CM or are you taking the mickey ?
Reply: 23 - 33
I believe in Cod
July 27, 2011, 11:38pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Quoted from 1600
I'd give him a contract right now, might even stick him on the bench.

I do hope this is sarcasm. He's a long way off being anywhere near ready for first team action, that's if he ever is good enough to play first team. Far too small (at the moment) Doesn't have a good understanding of his position (struggled with positioning when tracking back). I'm not sleighting the lad btw, I hope he progresses well, just underlining parts of his game which would stop him getting a spot in the first team.
yes, fair play he has a good burst of pace, and he did try to get stuck in and take players on (only did that successfully once btw) He's very lightweight, and we didn't see any form of good passing or intelligence to even think about offering him a contract, and S+H will have no intention what so ever of offering him a contract at this stage, literally just a run out for the lad, as there is no reserve team this year.

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from I believe in Cod

I do hope this is sarcasm. He's a long way off being anywhere near ready for first team action, that's if he ever is good enough to play first team. Far too small (at the moment) Doesn't have a good understanding of his position (struggled with positioning when tracking back). I'm not sleighting the lad btw, I hope he progresses well, just underlining parts of his game which would stop him getting a spot in the first team.
yes, fair play he has a good burst of pace, and he did try to get stuck in and take players on (only did that successfully once btw) He's very lightweight, and we didn't see any form of good passing or intelligence to even think about offering him a contract, and S+H will have no intention what so ever of offering him a contract at this stage, literally just a run out for the lad, as there is no reserve team this year.

Ok not saying we should necessarily offer him a pro contract right now but 10 minutes to go and we're 1-0 down, I don't see the problem personally. Pace and trickery will always cause problems.

Coulsons lightweight too - if they can either take players on or score goals then I don't really give a toss.

If we don't at least look to include talented young players like this in our future plans we're shoooting ourselves in the foot IMO.

Sure I'd like to see him again but also noticed Tommy made a comment about him and that gives me massive encouragement that others think the same.
Reply: 25 - 33
upthestripes
July 27, 2011, 11:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Who are we talking about?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:59pm
Guest User
Bradbury.
Reply: 27 - 33
upthestripes
July 28, 2011, 12:02am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Bradbury.

Thought so. I do feel he's worth looking at in some way. Course he didn't get very long but everyone at the game Iinc. me) seems ipmressed by him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
oldun
July 28, 2011, 8:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Lets keep a sense of perspective it was a run out for some of the young players who came on and I am sure they benefitted. Not much flowing football as Barton made it hard. A good workout though. Unlike another earlier post I thought Connor Marshall did very well in centre of defence alongside Pearson. As I was near the Town bench, I can tell you Rob Scott was complimentary to him throughout the game. Pearson is an awsome player both in defence and in attack and was Captain last night. I few intresting points from the bench, Kempson seems confident of returning to some sort of action in the next few games. Spencer is still struggling to shake off his injury and get fit and also Coulson's ankle is still a problem and spoke about injections. The team spirit amongst the players seems to be good, lots of banter between those not involved in the game, although they were encouraging those who were playing. Also impressivee was the amount of coaching RS did throughout the game, not only to the young players but seniors too,(straight onto Elding a couple of times for casual sloppy play). He even took a couple those not involved to one side to point out various techniques and tactics. Very professional.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
upthestripes
July 28, 2011, 9:02am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from oldun
As I was near the Town bench

Did you hear the blokes singing "who's the scouser on the bench" (near the woman with mummy 7 on her shirt)? Was pssing myself, they made me laugh.

Quoted Text
Also impressivee was the amount of coaching RS did throughout the game,

Yeah I agree with that. Spoke to nearly all of them. Some good dance moves too on occasion !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
BIGChris
July 28, 2011, 10:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Bradbury is a decent youth team player but in reserve games last season looked a little lost, out of his depth.

That doesnt mean he can't improve. That is precisely what a two year YT contract is about. Developing and improving.

Certainly no need to throw around pro contracts at this stage.

Southwell has been the one who has caught the eye throughout his time in the youth set up BUT that means nothing if his development has peaked. He too has the rest of this season before any decisions will be made. Plenty of youth team football and no doubt a few reserve games as and when they are arranged
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
NorfolkImp
July 28, 2011, 11:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from acko338

Damned if we do, damned if we don't ..... good result btw, we only managed 2-0, but lets see how we get on v Florest!

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
oldun
July 28, 2011, 3:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from upthestripes

Did you hear the blokes singing "who's the scouser on the bench" (near the woman with mummy 7 on her shirt)? Was pssing myself, they made me laugh.

Yeah I agree with that. Spoke to nearly all of them. Some good dance moves too on occasion !

Heard the singing, was very good humoured on the bench.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FT:Barton town 0-6 Grimsby town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.