Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:07pm
Guest User
Just back.

Funny old game - felt strangely underwhelmed until the 2nd half when the chances and goals started flowing.

To me, Barton looked to have some fair attacking players (without too much imagination or cutting edge) and caused us 1 or 2 problems(especially 1st half) but looked pretty damn poor at the back.

Obvioiusly you don't read too much into these things - we fielded an under strength side but despite the scoreline had a few small concerns
Despite the clean sheet the defence didn't look completely solid tonight - lots of players blew hot and cold.
Headless chickens also spings to mind at times, but hey it's just a workout and pleased to hear Scott said on RH they haven't really started the footballing side of things yet.

Several positives to take but think maybe 4-1 would have been a fairer result.

Startng team

.......................Arthur
Silk........Marshall.....Pearson.....LB trialist ?
Southwell.....Thanoj....Artus.......Eagle
,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mulready........Duffy

Arthur 7.5 - Vocal. Little to do but made a good penalty save and tipped it away after Pearson gave the ball away.
Freeman 6.5 - Looked alright in the air, but didn't really impress me very much. If he's on trial think we can do a lot lot better.
Marshall 7 - Made some good headers but also lost out in the air a lot too. Don't think he's up to being 1st team centre back.
Pearson 8 - Only made 1 mistake when he lost ball in defence otherwise safe as houses. Obvious threat at set pieces again.
Silk 6.5 - Blew hot and cold I thought. Plays some good passes but lost out in the air more than I thought he would and looked a tab vulnerable when being taken on.
Eagle 8.5(MOM) - Made a few errors but looked the quality player to me tonight down the left with his penetrating passes. Good right footed cross to set Mulready up for the first goal. Corners were a lot better tonight.
Artus 7.5  - Set up Duffy for the 2nd goal with a little dink pass behind the defence(suprised it wasn't offside). Hit a cracking freekick which Coulson headed onto the bar from the goalies save. His last goal was a cross(did ok again with those) that evaded everyone and dropped in. Despite his goals and assists was more impressed with his Barnsley performance but maybe that's the sign of a good creative player.
Thanoj 7.5 - Wasn't setting the world on fire until some good passing play 2nd half.
Southwell 6.5 - Good in the air again but a shade disappointed - when he got the ball in space I thought he could have made more use with his runs and seemed to want to run down the wing when there were opportunities to hurt the defence in the centre.
Duffy 7.5 - What you'd expect, some very assured hold up play and a mixed bag of passes.
Mulready 7.5 - Unmarked when scored with a glancing header. Passing and oldup play was variable but pulled a good ball back for Artus's goal and think he has some potential even if he never looks assured in possession. Good movement and had a couple of good chances + hit the target but maybe should have scored 1 of them.

Subs:
Bradbury 8 - Looked pacy and very dangerous running with the ball. This lad was looks a hot prospect to me !   Not afraid to get stuck in too.
Elding 7.5 - Like last night his touch looked rusty but he scored the penalty and an assured finish. Sure he'll be an asset of sorts with his size and experience when he gets 100% fit and sharp.
Coulson 7 - Came on up front but hardly involved. One poor touch I saw. Probably needs space to run with ball and woudl like to see him play behind a front two.
Wood - 6.5 - Hardly involved but got done by the attacker down his left side again !  

Grant(CB) + Central Midfielders - hardly saw anything of them tbh.

Thanks to the OS for telling me who all these missing players were.
Reply: 11 - 33
bax
July 27, 2011, 11:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Thought Pearson was immense, won every single header in both boxes and nearly scored at end of 1st half. Also thought young Bradbury did very well. Not big enough yet but looked much better than Southwell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:12pm
Guest User
Totally agree bax, who is this Bradbury ? He looks a decent prospect to me.
Reply: 13 - 33
upthestripes
July 27, 2011, 11:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

Yes good peno save.

Justice was done tbf. I was behind the dugouts and the Barton bench were laughing their arses off at the ref for giving that peno. The lad tangled himself in a knot and tripped over his own feet.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
upthestripes
July 27, 2011, 11:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Do you know who the really young-looking lad was who came on about 20 mins from the end? Had long-ish hair. Am sure RS kept calling him Jack

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
bax
July 27, 2011, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
The right winger, number 17? He's a YT called Jack Bradbury. Was brought down for Town's pen. He looked good running at defenders but barely tracked back and looked a little lost positionally. He had a good turn of pace though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
80sglory
July 27, 2011, 11:21pm
Guest User
That's him !  
Reply: 17 - 33
foreverloyal72
July 27, 2011, 11:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from 1600

jack bradbury is a 2nd year yt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
upthestripes
July 27, 2011, 11:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from bax
The right winger, number 17? He's a YT called Jack Bradbury. Was brought down for Town's pen. He looked good running at defenders but barely tracked back and looked a little lost positionally. He had a good turn of pace though.

Yeah that was him cheers. I thought he looked quite decent tbh. Played a nice through ball that was a lovely idea but jsut a little bit too hard and went out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FT:Barton town 0-6 Grimsby town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.