Dispatches  how to buy a football club

This thread currently has 1,750 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner_mikey
July 18, 2011, 11:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Anyone watch the programme on how to buy a football club would like to no what people think on the matter and how would you feel if it was our own club that was being brought in some back street club in Thailand views please
Logged Offline
Private Message
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 11:40pm
Guest User
Sadly missed the programme but how would I feel ?
Tricky one, some may just want success and you could fully understand it but there's something re-assuring about having a local owner even with an arguably poor track record.
I know what I don't want - someone who doesn't give a toss about the club or the fans and is using it for their own commercial interests.
Whatever you think of Fenty and his decisions, he continues to subsidise the club, has kept us afloat and deserves much credit for it.
Thank you John. (and Mike too)
Reply: 1 - 11
Dan
July 18, 2011, 11:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Available on the nations favourite independant online video service if you missed it: http://www.seesaw.com/TV/Factual/p-43108-How-to-Buy-a-Football-Club

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
80sglory
July 18, 2011, 11:54pm
Guest User
Cheers, forgive me for asking but is it safe ?  
Reply: 3 - 11
FishOutOfWater
July 19, 2011, 12:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,588
Gold Stars: 37
I saw the last half of it....didn't show things in a very good light really

I can't recall all the clubs up for grabs but two Sheffield clubs (not the one we'll be playing on Wednesday), Cardiff, Leicester, Oxford and maybe Leeds were all being touted by the Thai "businessman" who is big buddies with Fergie (or so he'd have you believe)

There seemed to be a common Man Ure thread running through the part I saw with Bryan Robson featuring as a go-between too....all seemed a bit too loose for me but then again, no smoke without fire maybe?

At least we more or less know who owns our club but for something like 15/20 Prem clubs and 15/24 (could even be more) Championship clubs, it's a lot murkier...the basic finding was that since the big money arrived so have the vultures who want to feed off it. No surprise to anyone really is it?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 11
Dan
July 19, 2011, 12:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Quoted from 1600
Cheers, forgive me for asking but is it safe ?  

Yeah, shameless plug, because they employ me. But it was a joint venture between ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, that was blocked by BskyB. All legal and above board, just different owners now. I do wish our owners would invest their money in town, they've just brought a club in Israel

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
grimps
July 19, 2011, 6:48am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,178
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Dan

Yeah, shameless plug, because they employ me. But it was a joint venture between ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, that was blocked by BskyB. All legal and above board, just different owners now. I do wish our owners would invest their money in town, they've just brought a club in Israel

ITV should never be allwoed near football ever again ,no wonder they got blocked .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
aldi_01
July 19, 2011, 8:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
What is happening here happened in Italy many moons ago, where money is, so are vultures waiting to take what they can get and they don't care how they get it...one problem we seem to have though is our clubs seem even more greedier and will do anything to get large amounts of money.

There was a big manure thread running throughout but then we shoudl have all expected that, the so called biggest club and all that bollox, easy to namedrop for some dodgy arab, i know fergie etc.

Would i want an unknown in charge of my club? who knows, success would be nice just once as opposed to total dross that we have had served up under the current ownership and press conferences which make sense blah blah but then again, least we know where our money has come from etc...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
ticker_1610
July 19, 2011, 9:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Didn't the bit on how to get the fans on your side concern anyone, it just highlighted the fact they are aware that part of the process is nullifying fans concerns by announcing a token figure of investment in players. To be honest tho if they did invest what they promised and delivered a new ground, doubled attendances and promotion to the championship then sold us at a profit I think most fans wouldn't care that the owners made millions off their investment! That is business!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
mariner marc
July 19, 2011, 11:24am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Quoted from mariner_mikey
Anyone watch the programme on how to buy a football club would like to no what people think on the matter and how would you feel if it was our own club that was being brought in some back street club in Thailand views please
missed this last night but will be watching it at some point this week via the internet.For anyone interested there is a book that deals with the financial irregularity's that go in football and is a decent read        

Broken Dreams Tom Bower

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2003/mar/02/sportandleisure.sport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dispatches  how to buy a football club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.