Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › From positive to negative....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 93 Guests

From positive to negative....

This thread currently has 5,169 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
marinette
July 17, 2011, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from CarlitoBrigante
now I feel completely deflated.  I also feel a little bit stupid; I went in the club shop a few weeks ago, and some guy was buying a new Town shirt.  He was asked if he wanted a name and number, and he asked "which number will Connell be this season?".  The woman in the club shop said "well, it hasn't been decided if he's staying yet".  Why not?  He was under contract and we'd had no official approach for him from a FL club, so we were told.  With hindsight, all the fans who said Hearn was signed as a replacement for Connell were absolutely spot-on.  The club obviously knew Alan was leaving, and Career Underdogs deserves some credit for saying this many weeks ago, he clearly got it right.

The thing that gets me is, I've turned from an optimist into a pessimist within the space of reading the news of Connell's departure.  
Worried, of Grimsby.........

I've just been reading some of these threads back and it's quite funny to see the derision that Career Underdogs received for predicting that Connell would go to Swindon for a six-figure sum.  Who would have thought?

I'm sure I never used to be this cynical, but how very coincidental that a rumour about Connell going to Swindon for a six-figure sum started circulating in June.  And now we are told that the club shop have been dubious about selling people shirts with his name on?   Ooh, and then just one day before the deadline for discounted season tickets (by which time most people would have bought their STs if they were going to) ... only then do things kick into action and the Connell deal is announced by the club.

Well it doesn't really bother me, because I think I'd have bought my ST anyway, but I'm curious to know whether some people might not have splashed out on STs if they had known Connell was definitely leaving?

I think it's very good business to get a six-figure sum for Connell when, after all, Woodsy signed him on a free, but the timing of it, when people have bought season tickets, makes me ever so slightly suspicious.

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
mariner2000
July 17, 2011, 1:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +175
Gold Stars: 5
hence what i was saying about the sudden press articles a couple of days before with no apparent reason, sounds like its been on the cards for a while....
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 31 - 50
bradzmilne
July 17, 2011, 2:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Clearly its not ideal to sell a 29 goals a year striker, but i think we have got a brilliant deal. By the end of last year AC was doubled up with marking and struggled to make as big as a impact as he did at the begining of the season. If the rumours/estimations are correct and we got 150k for AC in my eyes that is good business off a striker that cost us £0 and age is not on his side, hopefully now we can replace him well.Good luck alan thanks for last year man.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
ginnywings
July 17, 2011, 2:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from marinette

I've just been reading some of these threads back and it's quite funny to see the derision that Career Underdogs received for predicting that Connell would go to Swindon for a six-figure sum.  Who would have thought?

I'm sure I never used to be this cynical, but how very coincidental that a rumour about Connell going to Swindon for a six-figure sum started circulating in June.  And now we are told that the club shop have been dubious about selling people shirts with his name on?   Ooh, and then just one day before the deadline for discounted season tickets (by which time most people would have bought their STs if they were going to) ... only then do things kick into action and the Connell deal is announced by the club.

Well it doesn't really bother me, because I think I'd have bought my ST anyway, but I'm curious to know whether some people might not have splashed out on STs if they had known Connell was definitely leaving?

I think it's very good business to get a six-figure sum for Connell when, after all, Woodsy signed him on a free, but the timing of it, when people have bought season tickets, makes me ever so slightly suspicious.

I don't buy a season ticket but if i did,the news that Connell was leaving/had left would make no difference to my decision.He would have left at the seasons end anyway,so getting the deal we did was the right thing in my eyes.

Players come and go,but i support GTFC,not individual players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 17, 2011, 2:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Perkins
Quote from Alan Alger writing in todays "The Non League Paper" regarding Connells' transfer:

"The undisclosed six figure fee will help the club who are still having trouble balancing the books at this level.
One thing i would say is that if Connell could have been persuaded to put his league ambitions on hold for one season, a partnership with Liam Hearn could have been worth more than the transfer fee in the form of promotion back to the Football League"

That's simply not true is it? If Connell had stayed and if Connell had made a decent partnership with Hearn and if the club had got promoted and if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

Suppose it had all worked out like that - what money would Connell have wanted to make him stay? He would still have wanted to get back "darn sowf" and he would have been able to go for free. The club would certainly gain money from promotion but would also have to spend money in advance of receiving it to consolidate a league spot. So Alger's argument really doesn't hold water.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
Perkins
July 17, 2011, 2:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7

That's simply not true is it? If Connell had stayed and if Connell had made a decent partnership with Hearn and if the club had got promoted and if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

Suppose it had all worked out like that - what money would Connell have wanted to make him stay? He would still have wanted to get back "darn sowf" and he would have been able to go for free. The club would certainly gain money from promotion but would also have to spend money in advance of receiving it to consolidate a league spot. So Alger's argument really doesn't hold water.

No, i don't feel it's a valid argument either. I posted Algers comments just to guage reaction.It's all hyperthetical now anyway. I still believe the Connell deal to be good business.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
BruceytheFish
July 17, 2011, 2:19pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 1
Good and sensible business.  He wanted to play league football so let him go, he deserves the opportunity.
We need the cash and if reinvested in 2 to 3 more players (i'm sure it will) then everyone wins.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 17, 2011, 2:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Perkins
No, i don't feel it's a valid argument either. I posted Algers comments just to guage reaction.It's all hyperthetical now anyway. I still believe the Connell deal to be good business.

Yes, I undertand that Mr P, I was having a go at Alger's opinion not yours!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
Perkins
July 17, 2011, 2:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7

Yes, I undertand that Mr P, I was having a go at Alger's opinion not yours!

No thats ok, i didn't think you were. Apologies if my comment read as if i thought that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
80sglory
July 17, 2011, 3:04pm
Guest User

So you're writing us off for promotion then ?

Suppose it had all worked out like that - what money would Connell have wanted to make him stay?

Do we even care if we're back in the Football League ?

The club would certainly gain money from promotion but would also have to spend money in advance of receiving it to consolidate a league spot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your whole argument seems to be there's no point in promotion because we MIGHT be paying higher wages ? Sorry but who is forcing us to pay these higher wages ? The fans ?

If Scott and Hurst are good enough to take us up, then they're arguably good enough to survive relegation from League 2 even with a young squad of players on lower L2 wages.

And even if they don't we'll still be £500K a year better off for the year whilst we're there - it's a no brainer in my view.

Are you seriously suggesting promotion is a bad thing ?
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › From positive to negative....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.