Teesknees
July 28, 2009, 7:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
[quote=762]

Therein lies the problem.Some want to preserve it,some don't so it sits there rotting away.

Well, I see it is Listed so the local authority have a responsibility as well as the current owners to look after it. The LA should have a Buildings at Risk register and I would have thought this should be on it.. it's then the owners responsibility to take care of it!!
But Local authorities seldom do anything about it as going to court takes too much time and costs too much!

To see other Listed Buildings in and around town go on Images of England.com and have a butchers!

I'm boring myself now so best go!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
kingofthekippers
July 28, 2009, 8:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from Teesknees
[quote=762]

Therein lies the problem.Some want to preserve it,some don't so it sits there rotting away.

Well, I see it is Listed so the local authority have a responsibility as well as the current owners to look after it. The LA should have a Buildings at Risk register and I would have thought this should be on it.. it's then the owners responsibility to take care of it!!
But Local authorities seldom do anything about it as going to court takes too much time and costs too much!

To see other Listed Buildings in and around town go on Images of England.com and have a butchers!

The problem is that the Ice Factory has been allowed to crumble for so long that any expenditure on it would effectively be a complete waste of cash. If the council did pursue putting it on a buildings at risk register the owners could use that defence to successfully argue against it.

I love local history and have photographed the docks many times but I think the ice factory should be levelled and replaced with new facilities for present-day businesses because we need to do something to reduce local unemployment.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
James77
July 28, 2009, 8:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
I've had a search of that site - not much more about GY...but you can bet people will be snooping around Tioxide once everyone's off site. All highly illegal of course etc etc.

There's plenty of stuff from Hull - here's a few good'uns:

J Marr trawlers: [url]http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=31698[/url]
Lord Line (what a great building): [url]http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21235[/url]
Boothferry Park: [url]http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9038[/url]
Floodlights: [url]http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=38889[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
theicenian
July 28, 2009, 9:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from Teesknees
[quote=762]

It will therefore belong to ABP. The Great Grimsby Ice co. would only have a lease on it. If the agreement is similar to the other buildings on Fish Dock rd it will be leased out by the Great Central Rly Co. and then the LNER and subsequently ABP.But the original will be the GCR.  Icenian senior reckons the machinery inside was imported from Norway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
tomb
August 3, 2009, 1:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -7
Awesome photos.  

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ice Factory

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.