Mappers
April 12, 2024, 8:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,369
Gold Stars: 119
https://www.skysports.com/foot.....ND,2T46,8G4Y5,C3I1,1

Not really much more info but a reminder it's drawing closer .

Will the first and last games be at weird kick off times ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimps
April 12, 2024, 8:09pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,133
Gold Stars: 46
I just hope it’ll still concern us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
GrimRob
April 12, 2024, 11:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,431
Gold Stars: 113
Yes. The TV matches will all kick off outside the window so the latest it can be is 1pm, and the earliest is 5:30pm, assuming they are on Saturdays. That includes the opening weekend. There are 5 matches a week in L1/L2 so I guess it's reasonable that 2 L2 matches every weekend will be moved. I am guessing they might have an early one and a late one maybe, Or it may be that L1/L2 are moved to Sunday and they play the Championship on Saturday. They'll probably be spread over the whole weekend one way or the other. The Championship is going to be terrible if you want to watch games with half the games being moved!

Attachment: ko_1174.png
Size: 25.14 KB

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 25
GollyGTFC
April 13, 2024, 8:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,032
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from GrimRob
Yes. The TV matches will all kick off outside the window so the latest it can be is 1pm, and the earliest is 5:30pm, assuming they are on Saturdays. That includes the opening weekend. There are 5 matches a week in L1/L2 so I guess it's reasonable that 2 L2 matches every weekend will be moved. I am guessing they might have an early one and a late one maybe, Or it may be that L1/L2 are moved to Sunday and they play the Championship on Saturday. They'll probably be spread over the whole weekend one way or the other. The Championship is going to be terrible if you want to watch games with half the games being moved!

There will be 2 games each from L1 and L2 at 12:30 every standard Saturday. An additional game from either division will also be shown at a different time- rumoured to be Sunday lunchtime.

On International weekends it’s fairly safe to assume the games will be spread across Saturday and Sunday at 12:30 and 15:00 before the international matches start later in the day.

Don’t be surprised if up to 30 of our league matches are on Sky Sports next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 25
chelseacity
April 13, 2024, 9:00am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
It's all about the money & financial survival of the fittest & the most well run management team of football clubs, this is where Grimsby Town will do well as they have local & very good owners with the football club at their heart, preservation of league status is an absolute must to be part of the future in the EFL. Relegation to oblivion ( National League) is not an option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
marinerjase
April 13, 2024, 9:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,664
Gold Stars: 147
The way of the world..everything dictated by money. Decisions based on money. Lower league clubs haven’t a choice in accepting any deal from media - be it a good one or bad. This one has many question marks but the marketing re more opportunities to see your side on the box swayed many. The added finances another bribe, I mean convincing argument - but again no proportion to the top level. Can’t help but be a tad cynical ..it’s a never ending circle..more money via tv deals to the top, more money to spend - rest of the footballing world have to spend merely to compete, putting themselves in jeopardy long term. Some teams will break rules, lose points, pfft..so what. Other, more genuine teams, will actually struggle to survive..long term. Will anyone in governance/power/football top brasses care?? No..they’ll bang on about what a great deal they got, and how much more money they were given etc etc.

The other cynical part for me is this a deal designed in trying to stop the ‘watch on dodgy box’ sections..ever growing I might add. Why? Because they’re being priced out of watching the National game. I’ve no idea how some do it..week in..week out..up and down the country..if you’ve a family it’s ridiculous the costs, never mind going on your own.

Anyway..sigh….

I’d be interested/having a keen eye on season ticket take ups here and elsewhere..of course some clubs have already started selling, but for clubs like us who have to wait..will they announce the different kick off times at same time as release fixture list? Or in advance? I doubt it.. so it’ll be nigh on impossible to plan travelling to away games for fans. Who’ll end up buying tickets, and no doubt rearranging work Rota’s, arranging travel etc and it have to be altered. No thought for the supporters at all.

But as said..money dictates.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
April 13, 2024, 11:17am
Guest User
This aspect of relegation is the one which worried me the most. Miss out on this (which after 20 years of financial struggle would be the most Town thing in the world to happen) and it effectively consigns us to non league for years and years, if not for good.

I don’t agree with the changes, but it isn’t going away.
Reply: 6 - 25
TownSNAFU5
April 13, 2024, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,889
Gold Stars: 42
These changes do not help supporters, especially away fans with unsocial KO times.

More money for clubs sounds good but every team benefits.  Therefore, no real relative changes.

Clubs do not go bust with a lack of money.  It is down to very poor management, bad decisions, and spending money that they do not have.  How you use the money that you have is key.  Look at Chelsea and Man United.

(ITV Digital money allowed to pay a Chinese international an obscene amount of money in wages).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
DB
April 13, 2024, 2:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 390
I don't know if I missed it, but how much are we getting from Sky?, is it on a televised match by match or a lump sum split between all clubs?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Mappers
April 13, 2024, 4:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,369
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from 140381
This aspect of relegation is the one which worried me the most. Miss out on this (which after 20 years of financial struggle would be the most Town thing in the world to happen) and it effectively consigns us to non league for years and years, if not for good.

I don’t agree with the changes, but it isn’t going away.

Originally I sort of agreed but seeing it's only 300k a season the main question for me is how much will it affect matchday revenue ?

We don't know , but say if we lose 15k fans  over the season it would almost wipe out the financial benefit or if it's a lesser number it will at least wipe out part of the gain ; I suppose the other thing is I'm not sure what the current deal provides in terms of revenue with the ifollow on top?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New TV Deal

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.