Mappers
April 25, 2024, 3:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'd say it could be even less than a direction.  It could be an end point.  

A strategy states where you're going to get to.  The implementation is the direction you take to get there.

I think it'll be a bit of in between.  The Grimsby Way has now become the Game Model.  It sounds great if things are going well and it sounds horrific when things aren't, also becomes a massive stick to hit them with.  I imagine their on-field strategy is entertaining football that's relatively successful and with a constant eye on improving.  The concept of improving will be regards league position, profit of players, increased gates/demand, a whole load of things. Within that will be the tool (data).  

How Artell and the staff use that is down to them.  That's the implementation plan.

I would be interested in what their exit strategy is - we are 3 years in now and those boys have done more good than bad and I like them a lot but I can't imagine they will/want to stick around for the length of tenure Dear John did .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
Teestogreen
April 25, 2024, 3:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -161
Gold Stars: 23
The good news is that in a national newspaper, the directors have accepted that allowing the previous management team to recruit was a mistake.
So - the solution to that mistake must now be in process - whatever that is.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
forza ivano
April 25, 2024, 8:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,280
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Teestogreen
The good news is that in a national newspaper, the directors have accepted that allowing the previous management team to recruit was a mistake.
So - the solution to that mistake must now be in process - whatever that is.

He's explained exactly what the process is. 1878 lay out the overall strategy, and the management team carry out that strategy ,but they do it with the freedom to interpret and carry out the strategy as they see best. i.e. 1878 aren't going to micro manage , that's up up the football experts
The basic problem was this; Hurst did his own thing, and wasn't fully on board with 1878's approach. that was fine in NL , but as another couple of posters have pointed out, EFL recruitment and success at EFL level with Gy, was a step too far for Hurst.
they have now reiterated their approach and have recruited a manager and CEO who are fully behind this plan. The next 6 -8 months will be pivotal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
Teestogreen
April 25, 2024, 8:42pm

Champagne Drinker
So - is it a plan or is it a strategy - and what is it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
ska face
April 25, 2024, 8:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,766
Gold Stars: 851
I think Stockwood saying (in effect) they want to move away from having a team set up to stop the opposition - whatever that means in terms of style, formation, personnel - is a big plus and shows a real divergence with Hurst’s mindset and, ultimately, how he used to recruit.

It’s what fans have been asking for for years. Doesn’t have to be rolling it across the 6-yard line but we play our way and either win or lose on our own terms. Sign players to play a certain, positive, way rather than a bunch of stoppers who might be able to nick a couple.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 85
Teestogreen
April 25, 2024, 8:58pm

Champagne Drinker
The ethos sounds great - but who is it who is going to sign these players to play the Grimsby Way - the owners obviously do not trust the club management team to do this, after last seasons experience.
looking forward to next season already

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 85
Mikey_345
April 25, 2024, 9:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Teestogreen
The ethos sounds great - but who is it who is going to sign these players to play the Grimsby Way - the owners obviously do not trust the club management team to do this, after last seasons experience.

Can you could explain how that’s obvious, because it certainly isn’t to me..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
ska face
April 25, 2024, 9:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,766
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Teestogreen

Well they sacked the bloke who didn’t do what they asked, and appointed a bloke who will. So…maybe him?
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 85
forza ivano
April 25, 2024, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,280
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ska face
I think Stockwood saying (in effect) they want to move away from having a team set up to stop the opposition - whatever that means in terms of style, formation, personnel - is a big plus and shows a real divergence with Hurst’s mindset and, ultimately, how he used to recruit.

It’s what fans have been asking for for years. Doesn’t have to be rolling it across the 6-yard line but we play our way and either win or lose on our own terms. Sign players to play a certain, positive, way rather than a bunch of stoppers who might be able to nick a couple.

strategy/plan - that's just semantics.
it's what Ska says - Hurst's approach is perfect for being in the top echelon of  NL or EFL survival , this season has proved his inability to take the next step forward.
i suspect that they allowed Hurst to have his head, given his previous success and their lack of football experience (this ties in with a couple of things I was told about Hurst/Doig running rings, football wise, round Debbie) , something they wouldn't necessarily do in their other businesses. Having experienced 23-24 they are not going to allow that to happen again, so Artell has been recruited (& presumably the new CEO) beacuse they share , and will carry oit, the general 1878 approach
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
Teestogreen
April 25, 2024, 10:10pm

Champagne Drinker
So the owners are now in control of which players they are asking Dave Artell and the new CEO to sign?
Or it wil be as last season.
2 hours and 34 minutes down the M62 probably gets you to Manchester / Liverpool.
Quite a catchment area for potential better players - could follow the Barrow model - and have the training facilities around Manchester?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Main stand

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.