April 17, 2024, 10:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mappers

I said a while back and my thinking hasn't changed

Either Artell will be a massive success or it will end in disaster with nothing much it between , I guess we will find out next season with a summer to shape his own squad .

We could find out in the next 10 days or so if we lose by 2 goals in both our games & Sutton win by 2 in theirs.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 320 - 330
HertsGTFC
April 17, 2024, 10:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mappers

I said a while back and my thinking hasn't changed

Either Artell will be a massive success or it will end in disaster with nothing much it between , I guess we will find out next season with a summer to shape his own squad .

We could find out in the next 10 days or so if we lose by 2 goals in both our games & Sutton win by 2 in theirs.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 321 - 330
lew chaterleys lover
April 17, 2024, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91

I think he's exceptionally limited tactically by the fact we're just so short of quality and pace throughout the side. What can you do to change things up? Most of our central midfielders aren't good enough and are much of a muchness. The wide players we have are Vernam who has been injured a lot, Eisa who's one of the laziest and least contributing players we've ever had barring his worldies and Gnahoua who although tidy and hard working has really not delivered an end product at all.  Our strikers are Rose who is excellent, Wilson who is inconsistent as his career stats show, Pyke who's shite up front and Obikwu who's a young lad who often looks uninterested. We've not really got any defenders capable of playing in a back four, certainly not in a back four behind our inept midfield. So what can you do? He's shored things up for sure on the mess we were in at the start of this year but you can't go more direct as we have no height or pace, we can't not have five at the back cause we'd start conceding loads again and our strikers are generally a bit shite. He showed against MK Dons that he can get it tactically spot on in the right circumstances and although some of his substitutions and starting line ups have baffled me, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he has a squad that isn't fooking terrible.

Like I said he is keeping his powder dry till next season because he hasn't got a lot to work with, but I wouldn't have gone to Colchester last night with us only needing a point and be as wide open as we were in the early stages. Surely the right thing to do was keep it tight and get them nervy.

All easy in hindsight I admit but I still can't see what he likes about Obikwu and an extra midfielder might have been better.
Private Message
Reply: 322 - 330
acko338
April 17, 2024, 11:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
The main problems are poor passing, slow play, ongoing injuries and several players who have lost form or had weaknesses sussed by opponents.

We are a smaller in height squad so we get bullied by the Akindes up front of this league and by dominant centre halves when attacking.

The signings in January have helped but there were too many square pegs to fill at once.

For Clifton and Holohan both not be fully firing has severely weakened midfield and puts far more pressure on defence and attack to take up the slack.

Artell cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but January showed that he can see better players.

Budget obviously plays a big part in not just decimating a full squad in one go, so he just has to try to make the best of what he has.

However, the 1st sentence will be what he sees in matches, and why we cannot consistently
play like the Crewe game and he must be so frustrated at how different games pan out.

6000 plus stadium and armchair critics who all could do a better job??

Who would be a manager in lower divisions, certainly not me !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 323 - 330
Maringer
April 17, 2024, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,628
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from acko338
The main problems are poor passing, slow play, ongoing injuries and several players who have lost form or had weaknesses sussed by opponents.

We are a smaller in height squad so we get bullied by the Akindes up front of this league and by dominant centre halves when attacking.

But apart from that, we're brilliant!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 324 - 330
RonMariner
April 17, 2024, 3:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,778
Gold Stars: 226
If Sutton do win their last two, which is certainly possible given that MK will be resting players ahead of the playoffs, then will have won 6 of their final 8 games, which is pretty spectacular. That’s more than we have won in a about 30 I think.

I bloody hope we manage a point next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 325 - 330
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 17, 2024, 4:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,756
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from RonMariner
If Sutton do win their last two, which is certainly possible given that MK will be resting players ahead of the playoffs, then will have won 6 of their final 8 games, which is pretty spectacular. That’s more than we have won in a about 30 I think.

I bloody hope we manage a point next week.

Funnily enough both Sutton and us have Crawley to play and depending on how other results go they probably will need to win both games but I’m pretty sure they must win v Sutton otherwise things are taken out of their hands. So they will be well up for it on as will Sutton and I expect the game to involve a few goals and hope most of them go in Sutton’s net. Just concerned that Crawley can be iffy at the back as they clearly demonstrated at BP in the first half where another injury time goal cost us what would have proven an invaluable point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 326 - 330
Abdul19
April 17, 2024, 4:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Demonstrated that by conceding 3 to Colchester the other day too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 327 - 330
Rodley Mariner
April 17, 2024, 4:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,247
Gold Stars: 178
Bet365 have us at 1000/1 to be relegated so if anyone is really worried then get a tenner on it. You'll.be able to get yourself a conference season ticket with your winnings and still have £9600 left over to donate towards the cost of the new bogs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 328 - 330
Limerick Mariner
April 17, 2024, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,716
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Abdul19
Demonstrated that by conceding 3 to Colchester the other day too.

If you watch those goals they make some of our defending look solid. They were certainly in Notts County mode in that game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 329 - 330
34 Pages Prev ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Colchester A

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.