8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
It Bites
April 14, 2024, 8:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,248
Gold Stars: 266
My thoughts on the Gk’s . Cartwright no where near good enough for lg 2 and should be sent back , hopefully Croudson doesn’t get him back . Eastwood is a very competent keeper who needs a good solid defence in front of him as proved since his return. He reads the game and is extremely alert and sharp . Yes he’s got a mistake in him but so have most lg2 keepers .

We need to sign an experienced gK in his early 30’s and let Eastwood and him fight it out
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 75
toontown
April 14, 2024, 8:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ska face
Please have a word with yourself. Eastwood was rightly dropped after a spell of poor form including throwing one in his own net against Colchester, nothing to do with the defence. He’s done well enough in the last 3 games to maybe not get his contract cancelled but no more than that.

Cartwright, and all the other loan players, can go back. They’re someone else’s problem.

Totally agree. Eastwoods improvement to a level acceptable for a backup keeper means we don't have to spend money on paying him not to play for us, that's about it. Next season he should be playing in the trophy and on the bench in case of emergencies, so we're better off in that situation than when we had no back up keeper last season. Hes probably costing more money than we'd want to be spending on a backup so not an ideal use of resources but at least better than having to pay him to leave us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 75
Zmariner
April 14, 2024, 11:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Maybe I am easily pleased, but I am still buzzing with this result. We will have a football league team next season. Looking forward to getting the new season ticket and we go again. For the last couple of weeks, I have been kidding myself, that it doesn’t matter and making calculations as to how we can survive. Brilliant just brilliant, simple as that utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 75
Marinerdeano
April 14, 2024, 3:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
I don't remember a league match away from home that I have been to where we were so dominant. Thought we would revert to type 2nd half and sit back but we took the game to them and it felt like between 45 and 70 or so minutes my head was constantly facing to the left. Superb display.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 75
AncientExiledMariner
April 14, 2024, 4:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.49
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
I think we're rewriting history on Eastwood a bit. He was good at the start. The ropey spell referred to is when virtually every shot on goal went in. Some games you had 3 shots on goal, 3 goals. Or we had more shots on goals, and they'd have 2, both went in and we lost. The loss of form was horrific. Hurst's last game, he dropped Eastwood for Cartwright. That form may have cost him his job.

I'm glad Eastwood is finding form, and is capable of more, but I don't think we can rely on him as a first choice. We'd need competent competition for him. I think Cartwright for another year battling it out with him would give options to rest either and give chance to recover. One thing we need to be aware of is, Eastwood hasn't proven he can do this over an extended period of games and we need to see if his resilience has improved, because there is still a bit question mark I don't think has been answered.

I will make clear though, he's a town player and I'd love him to demonstrate it and have some solid form. Time, and more games, will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 75
davmariner
April 14, 2024, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,957
Gold Stars: 79
I think we're rewriting history on Eastwood a bit. He was good at the start. The ropey spell referred to is when virtually every shot on goal went in. Some games you had 3 shots on goal, 3 goals. Or we had more shots on goals, and they'd have 2, both went in and we lost. The loss of form was horrific. Hurst's last game, he dropped Eastwood for Cartwright. That form may have cost him his job.

I'm glad Eastwood is finding form, and is capable of more, but I don't think we can rely on him as a first choice. We'd need competent competition for him. I think Cartwright for another year battling it out with him would give options to rest either and give chance to recover. One thing we need to be aware of is, Eastwood hasn't proven he can do this over an extended period of games and we need to see if his resilience has improved, because there is still a bit question mark I don't think has been answered.

I will make clear though, he's a town player and I'd love him to demonstrate it and have some solid form. Time, and more games, will tell.

Sorry but I don’t want Cartwright back. He’s not good enough for the EFL and can’t imagine any other team taking a punt on him at this stage. We need better - a solid, experienced number 1.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 75
RonMariner
April 14, 2024, 5:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,778
Gold Stars: 226
Regarding Eastwood, he had basically played the last four games and conceded only one goal from open play. That is pretty good going in my book.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 75
Mayaman
April 14, 2024, 5:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 74
credit where credit is due I suppose for Eastwood.  He's done well since his return.  Of course, he's had a much better defensive line in front of him but something is very different.  Take the two instances yesterday.  He got down to a close shot, which was a good save.  During his spell when he suffered low confidence, he would have still been on the deck.  Yesterday, he was up in the air like a jack-in-a-box.  The other was his mistake, which nearly led to the goal.  Again, he reacted sharply to prevent Crewe getting back into it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 75
dapperz fun pub
April 14, 2024, 6:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from davmariner

Sorry but I don’t want Cartwright back. He’s not good enough for the EFL and can’t imagine any other team taking a punt on him at this stage. We need better - a solid, experienced number 1.

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 75
mimma
April 14, 2024, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
It's not form we have suddenly come into, it's confidence. Our form has improved because of our confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.