2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Chris Kelly
April 10, 2024, 6:36pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +39
Gold Stars: 3
Starting this man at wing-back for Town's final four games is a gamble worth taking......

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/grimsby-town-charles-vernam-a-great-denver-hume-alternative/
Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
April 10, 2024, 6:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,248
Gold Stars: 266
It’s about not losing games now .
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
jamesgtfc
April 10, 2024, 6:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,029
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Chris Kelly
Starting this man at wing-back for Town's final four games is a gamble worth taking......

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/grimsby-town-charles-vernam-a-great-denver-hume-alternative/

I sometimes think that these options are so random when they first happen that it surprises the opposition and that is why it's effective. Over a run of games, his weaknesses in that position would probably be exploited much more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
Poojah
April 10, 2024, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,649
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I sometimes think that these options are so random when they first happen that it surprises the opposition and that is why it's effective. Over a run of games, his weaknesses in that position would probably be exploited much more.

Also known as the Bignot Paradox.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Chris Kelly
April 10, 2024, 7:05pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +39
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Absolutely, bud. There could be some truth in that. My feelings are that we are so lacking in creativity and pace, that having one X factor player involved in an otherwise pragmatic system is a gamble worth taking when 1 win would probably be enough for safety.

Understand the arguments against it, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
cannylad65
April 11, 2024, 7:33am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 7
I think Charles could be very effective in a John McAtee role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
grimps
April 11, 2024, 8:04am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
We need to not lose at least two games or win one , if deffo go for it in a game we was losing but I’m not sure if we’d just end up getting walloped
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Grimal
April 11, 2024, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah

And I well remember witnessing the Bignot Paradox when he was in charge of us at Crewe. 🫣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2024, 1:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Poojah

I think I’ve got their first album - the production is amazing.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
TonySmith
April 11, 2024, 3:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
Vernam adds an attacking threat. Setting up not to lose ends in a narrow defeat over and over again. The best way not to lose and (dare I say it?) to actually win, is to score goals. More than one, ideally!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
acko338
April 11, 2024, 7:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Vernam needs to be used as a left side attacking option, as Rose has to get someone else mobile alongside him, or as an attacking midfielder to supplement Obikwu in the 2nd forward role.

Clean sheets are vital, but there has to be a better quality of passing, movement and 2nd half fitness to keep the team safe.

Set pieces have all been seen to be wasteful, and that is something that training sessions have to tighten up. You adapt, not just blame pitch or wind conditions, it's the same for both teams !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
diehardmariner
April 12, 2024, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
I don't want to see Vernam inside personally.  I don't think he's a cute type footballer who will work in pockets, either picking up loose bits or feeding others.  His game is about running at people, twisting them inside and out and going past them.  

If we're going with two central attackers, it has to be Wilson and Rose for me.  Wilson as the target and Rose as the one who drops a bit deeper.  I think there's a natural reluctance to do that because it will mean reduced numbers in midfield, which is where Rose dropping and using his tenacity can help out a bit in there.

In an absolute ideal world, I'd love to see Vernam, Rose and Ainley working off Wilson.   That won't happen.

Be it going with attacking width or two central strikers, I think one will have to give way to counter our frailties elsewhere.  Newport was the exception with Vernam starting at wingback but other than Swindon at home, I don't think Artell will be brave enough to do that again.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
toontown
April 12, 2024, 2:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner
I don't want to see Vernam inside personally.  I don't think he's a cute type footballer who will work in pockets, either picking up loose bits or feeding others.  His game is about running at people, twisting them inside and out and going past them.  

If we're going with two central attackers, it has to be Wilson and Rose for me.  Wilson as the target and Rose as the one who drops a bit deeper.  I think there's a natural reluctance to do that because it will mean reduced numbers in midfield, which is where Rose dropping and using his tenacity can help out a bit in there.

In an absolute ideal world, I'd love to see Vernam, Rose and Ainley working off Wilson.   That won't happen.

Be it going with attacking width or two central strikers, I think one will have to give way to counter our frailties elsewhere.  Newport was the exception with Vernam starting at wingback but other than Swindon at home, I don't think Artell will be brave enough to do that again.

I see it the same way. Or it may happen if we are mathematically safe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Zmariner
April 12, 2024, 3:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from diehardmariner

Artell’s career as a football manager hangs on these next four games and so I would not expect a lot of risks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
IowaMariner
April 12, 2024, 3:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +79
Gold Stars: 7
Denver Hume doesn’t seem like a great option at LWB right now, especially based on the last two games. And his performance levels seem to have dropped off consistently since a decent start. He had a shocker when he came on at Harrogate, summed up by getting nutmegged and then well beaten in the play that led to him getting yellow carded - a challenge that prompted JT to suggest that a red card might be in the offing. He gave the ball,away the few times he had it and was a general liability. I wonder if his showing was directly related to committing the foul and getting sent off against Bradford as Town conceded the equalizer in injury time? And then getting left out of the starting line up as Harry got the nod. Throw in his regular lack of quality on set pieces - I lost count of the number of free kicks and corners that offered great opportunities against Bradford that he overhit, underhit, offered no pace, whip or even basic accuracy that one wonders how he managed to keep the role that day.

It’s a shame that the three-at the-back option didn’t get introduced earlier, I can’t help feeling that this could have been something that might have been a good fit for Anthony Glennon. What’s happening with him and Niall Maher btw? But with Hume out of sorts, I’d definitely be in favour of giving Charles another run at LHB. It could help Town get on the front foot and given recent events I’m not even sure that we lose much defensively. Just a thought…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Attacking impetus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.