3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
April 8, 2024, 5:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Remember that final well. Another refereeing disision that went against us at 0-0 ,when Parkinson was sent sprawling in the area. Clear penalty to everyone in the stadium and those watching on TV but the ref didn't give it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
jimgtfc
April 8, 2024, 7:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

That's an almost cinematically sad anecdote, assuming it's true.

It’s very true, wasn’t quite the response I was expecting.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
toontown
April 8, 2024, 7:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
Unfortunately, Reddy was screwed by the time the end of the season came about. I seem to recall some sort of mention of him having his hip shaved or something that summer, to try and treat his injury problems? No surprise that he never really came back after that and had to retire so early.

A real shame as that pace was a fearsome weapon and he could have gone on to have a really good career if he had been fit. I was at the Darlington game where I seem to think he made his debut off the bench? I remember a ball being played through but massively overhit and thinking he couldn't get anywhere near it, but he reached the ball about the same time as their keeper. The only time I recall being startled by the sheer pace of one of our players. Quick Mick Boulding was fast with the ball at his feet but I've never seen anything like the acceleration of Reddy before or since.

Cohen was interviewed on that dn35 podcast and said he was a shade quicker than Reddy, but Reddy was definitely quicker running with the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
LocalLadGTFC
April 8, 2024, 7:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
I think I remember something about Gary Cohen having the choice between athletics and football and he chose football?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 24
mariner91
April 8, 2024, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
It’s amazing how far you can get in L2 if you some genuine pace and power in the side which is something Hurst never added in any of his transfer windows with us. Even in the NL he never signed an actually quick player did he?

Loved Reddy, what a player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
LocalLadGTFC
April 8, 2024, 8:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from mariner91
It’s amazing how far you can get in L2 if you some genuine pace and power in the side which is something Hurst never added in any of his transfer windows with us. Even in the NL he never signed an actually quick player did he?

Loved Reddy, what a player.

I'd of said Sousa was pretty quick
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 24
Poojah
April 8, 2024, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,657
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I'd of said Sousa was pretty quick

Jack Mackreth, too.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
mariner91
April 8, 2024, 8:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Mackreth definitely was quick because we’d seen it playing against us. When playing for us though my overriding memory is him turning back and playing it safe, don’t really recall him ever really going at the opposition. Sousa was nippy but not the out and out sheer pace that Reddy and Cohen had.

Even then, Hurst was here for 9 pre-season transfer windows. And it’s a struggle to name more than two quick players he signed. Always seemed strange to me that it was something he obviously didn’t value.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Meza
April 8, 2024, 9:53pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
Peter Till was pretty quick.  Agree about Mackreth was chuffed we signed him, and likewise never saw him take anyone on, maybe it was playing in front of a bigger attendance than Barrow.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
RichMariner
April 8, 2024, 10:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,146
Gold Stars: 209
To dispel the myth that 'all you need to flourish at this level is sheer pace' I give you Serge Makofo.

He was rapid, but also totally clueless. No football intelligence whatsoever. Three year deal. Peak Fenty.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2006 play-off final

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.