grimps
April 8, 2024, 3:31am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Well it looks like we have a good chance of staying in the league now so I had a Quick Look at who will be joining us next season.
Carlisle are already relegated and looking at the other contenders hopefully Burton , Port Vale and Fleetwood join us as they’re a lot nearer than Cheltenham .

With Chesterfield already promoted I really hope Halifax manage to join them in the Play Offs , they’re both good away days plus they might bring a few to Blundell Park.

I’m also hoping Mansfield blow it as that’ll be another game that’s not too far away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Heisenberg
April 8, 2024, 7:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from grimps
Well it looks like we have a good chance of staying in the league now so I had a Quick Look at who will be joining us next season.
Carlisle are already relegated and looking at the other contenders hopefully Burton , Port Vale and Fleetwood join us as they’re a lot nearer than Cheltenham .

With Chesterfield already promoted I really hope Halifax manage to join them in the Play Offs , they’re both good away days plus they might bring a few to Blundell Park.

I’m also hoping Mansfield blow it as that’ll be another game that’s not too far away

The NL playoffs will be interesting as there’s not really a single club who you’d consider to be a traditional ex-league club (unless you’re really old!).

It could well be Bromley or Altrincham, either of which would be real eye catchers. Alty for me, preferably, as I know someone who supports them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
toontown
April 8, 2024, 7:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from grimps

Could do with Mansfield getting promoted to clear out some financially backed teams and make the division more even. Chesterfield replace them for a close-ish game.

Likewise why FG would be a bonus if they get relegated. Colchester are financially backed too bizarrely even though they are constantly circling the drain.

None of the teams coming down seem like they would distort the division financially from what little I know of them. Fleetwood's backer is in jail at the minute which presumably means they are no longer getting propped up hence the likely relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Mappers
April 8, 2024, 7:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Approval: +4,396
Gold Stars: 119
It's early in the piece but I think Doncaster will do well next season. That win against us set them off on a long decent run .

Hopefully as you say Mansfield go along with MK , Wrexham & Stockport and it should be a more balanced league .

All teams with less resource coming down and at least 1 from the league below will be a small hitter in financial terms . I doubt Crewe will fare so well if they stay down and it will be interesting to see if Barrow retain Wild if they don't make it through .

Two of the more well supported clubs Bradford and Swindon have troubles behind the scenes so might not be competitive , possibly even strugglers ?

I guess we have to get ourselves sorted out to see if we can have any sort of meaningful impact on league 2 next time out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
LocalLadGTFC
April 8, 2024, 10:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mappers
It's early in the piece but I think Doncaster will do well next season. That win against us set them off on a long decent run .

Hopefully as you say Mansfield go along with MK , Wrexham & Stockport and it should be a more balanced league .

All teams with less resource coming down and at least 1 from the league below will be a small hitter in financial terms . I doubt Crewe will fare so well if they stay down and it will be interesting to see if Barrow retain Wild if they don't make it through .

Two of the more well supported clubs Bradford and Swindon have troubles behind the scenes so might not be competitive , possibly even strugglers ?

I guess we have to get ourselves sorted out to see if we can have any sort of meaningful impact on league 2 next time out.

Problem with Doncaster is, the stand out players have been loans. They have Matty Craig, Adelakun and Lo-Tutala. I don't see any way they keep any of them. Adelakun is far far too good for this level and it's only injuries that have held him back, I imagine if Lincoln don't go up they'll have him in the squad or he'll at least be at L1 level so replacing that quality of player will be tough. Lo Tutala has been outstanding for them and Hull will want him to move up a level. Matthew Craig signed a new deal at Tottenham last year so they obviously rate him highly and I expect he'll be in L1 next season also.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 30
pontoonlew
April 8, 2024, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,087
Gold Stars: 178
If Wrexham, Stockport, Mk and Mansfield go up, replaced by Carlisle, Fleetwood, Burton & Cheltenham then this league looks considerably easier than this year.

This season has been the toughest I can remember, Chesterfield coming up will be a challenge but the play-offs in the NL don’t look all that much either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Mappers
April 8, 2024, 11:28am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
If Wrexham, Stockport, Mk and Mansfield go up, replaced by Carlisle, Fleetwood, Burton & Cheltenham then this league looks considerably easier than this year.

This season has been the toughest I can remember, Chesterfield coming up will be a challenge but the play-offs in the NL don’t look all that much either.

Add in Morecambe & Accrington who seem to be cost cutting to the extreme somewhat . It should make for a much more interesting league you would have thought .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
Poojah
April 8, 2024, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,659
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from pontoonlew

Fleetwood, presumably, are beginning their descent back to their natural level with their sugardaddy locked-up for the foreseeable. I'd personally like to see Burton survive the drop on account of Max Crocombe and Martin Paterson being there, but either way the four coming down look to be outfits who have played a lot of football at this level (or below) this century.

This season's unquestionable unprecedented difficulty level shouldn't excuse our own glaring errors and deficiencies, but it does look like there'll be much less of a head wind in League Two next season. I'd personally prefer to see a Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield top three this season as I can't bring myself to wish any form of success on MK Dons, but as long as three of those four go up it doesn't greatly matter all that much.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
Mappers
April 8, 2024, 11:34am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Fleetwood, presumably, are beginning their descent back to their natural level with their sugardaddy locked-up for the foreseeable. I'd personally like to see Burton survive the drop on account of Max Crocombe and Martin Paterson being there, but either way the four coming down look to be outfits who have played a lot of football at this level (or below) this century.

This season's unquestionable unprecedented difficulty level shouldn't excuse our own glaring errors and deficiencies, but it does look like there'll be much less of a head wind in League Two next season. I'd personally prefer to see a Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield top three this season as I can't bring myself to wish any form of success on MK Dons, but as long as three of those four go up it doesn't greatly matter all that much.

I just want MK Dons & Colchester gone for the actual matchday experience  ,two away days I have enjoyed  far less off the pitch in recent memory tbh . I just find them both souless experiences and the beer isn't particularly good.  

A re-visit to Burton would bring back bad memories but would be fun to take over their own patch again , in better circumstances for us : a last day win to get us promoted and relegate them to their rightful place  would be some sort of karma .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
livosnose
April 8, 2024, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Got to stay up first before looking !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
Mariner_09
April 8, 2024, 11:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from pontoonlew

It would be 15 years since I've been to Burton if they come down. Not sure how I'd feel about reliving that afternoon, maybe I'd want to vanquish the demons.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Spidey
April 8, 2024, 12:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Mariner_09

It would be 15 years since I've been to Burton if they come down. Not sure how I'd feel about reliving that afternoon, maybe I'd want to vanquish the demons.

Yep, sad day that. I as many Town fans was seated with the home fans. Remember picking the tickets up with my lad that day from their club shop and reciting in my head all the local schools, just in case they asked my son what school he went to, in case they sussed us out!!  Took my hoodie off at half time to show off my Town top, as most home fans knew we were amongst them, but politely told by a steward to put it back on. The Burton stewards were great that day. Broke down in tears though later that night, after the result. Didn’t realise it’d hit me as hard as it did!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Poojah
April 8, 2024, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,659
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Spidey

Yep, sad day that. I as many Town fans was seated with the home fans. Remember picking the tickets up with my lad that day from their club shop and reciting in my head all the local schools, just in case they asked my son what school he went to, in case they sussed us out!!  Took my hoodie off at half time to show off my Town top, as most home fans knew we were amongst them, but politely told by a steward to put it back on. The Burton stewards were great that day. Broke down in tears though later that night, after the result. Didn’t realise it’d hit me as hard as it did!!

Burton makes 2nd spot on my list of Town heartaches. It hurt like fúck, no question, but the hours and days after the Bristol Rovers shootout defeat at Wembley remains the worst I have felt as a Town fan. Possibly in part due to the heat stroke, but the sense of injustice - both at the magnitude by which we’d been the better side and the disgraceful decision not to send Puddy off, left me absolutely rocked.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
RonMariner
April 8, 2024, 12:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,784
Gold Stars: 226
It looks like the division will be a little weaker next season, and we will also see far more Town games televised and get more tv revenue. So it’s very important to stay up this season. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
RonMariner
April 8, 2024, 12:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,784
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah

Burton makes 2nd spot on my list of Town heartaches. It hurt like fúck, no question, but the hours and days after the Bristol Rovers shootout defeat at Wembley remains the worst I have felt as a Town fan. Possibly in part due to the heat stroke, but the sense of injustice - both at the magnitude by which we’d been the better side and the disgraceful decision not to send Puddy off, left me absolutely rocked.

The most dreadful act of refereeing cowardice I have ever seen. Deliberately ignoring the laws of the game so as not to ‘ruin the spectacle’. He should never have been allowed to referee another game after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Mayaman
April 8, 2024, 1:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

Why did you have to bring that up Poojah?  I was  uncharacteristically on British soil for that one.  It seemed a hell of a long way back to Gy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Mappers
April 8, 2024, 1:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
It looks like the division will be a little weaker next season, and we will also see far more Town games televised and get more tv revenue. So it’s very important to stay up this season. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.

Does anybody know how much the TV deal is worth per season 'extra' for league 2 clubs providing we stay up ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 8, 2024, 5:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Spare a thought for the Southern exiles...if FGR and Sutton go as well as the teams who may well be coming down from League 1 this league has a big number of Northern clubs and it makes it difficult to get to nearly as many games as previous seasons (remember last season Orient, Stevenage and Northampton all got promoted).

I get that the vast majority of Town fans benefit but a small number of us get to see our team even less.

But I'll live with it if we avoid relegation. UTM.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
grimps
April 8, 2024, 6:35pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Spare a thought for the Southern exiles...if FGR and Sutton go as well as the teams who may well be coming down from League 1 this league has a big number of Northern clubs and it makes it difficult to get to nearly as many games as previous seasons (remember last season Orient, Stevenage and Northampton all got promoted).

I get that the vast majority of Town fans benefit but a small number of us get to see our team even less.

You might get Barnet and that’s always been a decent away day for all of us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Meza
April 8, 2024, 8:49pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
Definately not Halifax, fans always seems to be at their worse whenever we play there lol.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
Mappers
April 8, 2024, 9:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Meza
Definately not Halifax, fans always seems to be at their worse whenever we play there lol.

+ Maxi would be certain to bag at least 1
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Meza
April 8, 2024, 9:51pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Quoted from Mappers

+ Maxi would be certain to bag at least 1

Yeah he got a brace on Saturday i think.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
RichMariner
April 8, 2024, 9:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,146
Gold Stars: 209
Yeah, I think we need to see the back of Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield. They've had the cash this season, so let's get them gone.

MK in the play-offs but, like others have said, it's hard to want them to achieve any kind of success.

I think Chesterfield will be competitive next season, no matter what. Always thought that Cook is a good manager and went below his status to manage them again.

I re-watched ATAW recently and it still hurts how we didn't make more of an effort to keep that squad together. They had a team spirit and momentum that money couldn't buy.

If I were to pass advice onto Chesterfield, which I wouldn't want to really, it'd be to push the boat out on keeping a winning squad together. Every bit of it. It would've been fascinating to know just how far that momentum could've taken us in L2 if we'd signed Mani, kept Fox, etc.

I don't know how much money we 'saved' by letting Fox go to Northampton, but I reckon we've spent more on midfielders since to patch up the hole he left.

Appreciate he got injured straight away at Northampton, but we've been crying out for a Mani-type player ever since we relied wholly on a crocked Taylor.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
lukeo
April 9, 2024, 4:04am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,390
Gold Stars: 149

This. Not so long ago I had 6-7+ games within 2hrs. Next season that could go down to only 1 or 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
lukeo
April 9, 2024, 4:04am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,390
Gold Stars: 149
Oh and Tranmere away for me was my worst ever moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
Madeleymariner
April 9, 2024, 8:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Need Port Fale to drop down, just up the road for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 9, 2024, 8:25am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimps

You might get Barnet and that’s always been a decent away day for all of us

I’m not sure that Barnet will make it but they have a real feel good factor after announcing they plan to move back to Underhill.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
jamesgtfc
April 9, 2024, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,037
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
Yeah, I think we need to see the back of Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield. They've had the cash this season, so let's get them gone.

MK in the play-offs but, like others have said, it's hard to want them to achieve any kind of success.

I think Chesterfield will be competitive next season, no matter what. Always thought that Cook is a good manager and went below his status to manage them again.

I re-watched ATAW recently and it still hurts how we didn't make more of an effort to keep that squad together. They had a team spirit and momentum that money couldn't buy.

If I were to pass advice onto Chesterfield, which I wouldn't want to really, it'd be to push the boat out on keeping a winning squad together. Every bit of it. It would've been fascinating to know just how far that momentum could've taken us in L2 if we'd signed Mani, kept Fox, etc.

I don't know how much money we 'saved' by letting Fox go to Northampton, but I reckon we've spent more on midfielders since to patch up the hole he left.

Appreciate he got injured straight away at Northampton, but we've been crying out for a Mani-type player ever since we relied wholly on a crocked Taylor.

Fox may not have got injured if he stayed as all the variables would have been totally different, but it was rumoured that Northampton completely blew our offer out of the water so I'm not sure that was a fight we could have realistically won.

We finished 6th on 77 points, 17 points behind Stockport. We didn't offer Mani a deal because Hurst couldn't guarantee him games, but Taylor then got injured and it proved to be a season too far for him. In hindsight, Mani would have had plenty of opportunities last season.

The biggest criticism isn't our transfer business that summer, which had the mitigating circumstances of us being back in pre-season training 3 weeks after getting promoted, it's our transfer business last summer that we need to learn from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 9, 2024, 9:16am
Champagne Drinker
We also have to remember that Fox came to us off the back of missing a lot of games due to injury and he was effectively 'using us' to prove his fitness and that he could play at a higher level again. The fact that he did that in spades and got a move that benefitted everyone seems like a smart move by Town, financially.

As well as not keeping Mani I was a bit surprised Abrahams was allowed to go - he and Mani looked like a potentially useful combination that, while not technically gifted, were a handful for defenders.

I fully accept though that his record since leaving us would suggest that Hurst knew what he was doing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 9, 2024, 9:18am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
Oh and Tranmere away for me was my worst ever moment.

You must be very young if that is your worst ever experience of supporting Town...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
The Yard Dog
April 9, 2024, 9:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from grimps

Mansfield to blow it, but not tonight, Mansfield win tonight and a town win, will mean that Forest Green cannot catch us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who’s coming down from League one

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.