6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 6, 2024, 10:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Thoroughly deserved win against a very limited Newport, and I can't remember Eastwood being overly exerted all afternoon.

Again, we could and should have put the game to bed, but the second goal just wouldn't come, and I never got the sense that Newport had it in them to score a goal and spoil the day.

Today was a huge lift with all the results going exactly how we would have wanted, so even more so now, it's completely in our hands.

We look so much more organised now, and Thompson is showing what a good footballer he is. It's almost jarring watching a player who can control and pass a football, calmly and accurately, such has been the paucity of decent players in our team this season until he came along. Head and shoulders our best player again, though there were others who performed to a good standard, Tharme in particular, and I thought Mullarkey had a very steady game too.

Not completely out of the woods yet, but today felt like a massive step toward league football next season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
April 6, 2024, 10:47pm
Guest User
I don’t think Wilson missed. Their goalkeeper just had a brilliant game. Can’t knock him.
Reply: 41 - 54
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2024, 10:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
Thoroughly deserved win against a very limited Newport, and I can't remember Eastwood being overly exerted all afternoon.

Again, we could and should have put the game to bed, but the second goal just wouldn't come, and I never got the sense that Newport had it in them to score a goal and spoil the day.

Today was a huge lift with all the results going exactly how we would have wanted, so even more so now, it's completely in our hands.

We look so much more organised now, and Thompson is showing what a good footballer he is. It's almost jarring watching a player who can control and pass a football, calmly and accurately, such has been the paucity of decent players in our team this season until he came along. Head and shoulders our best player again, though there were others who performed to a good standard, Tharme in particular, and I thought Mullarkey had a very steady game too.

Not completely out of the woods yet, but today felt like a massive step toward league football next season.

I can’t remember the last time we had a player like Thompson in the middle of the park.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
The Caterham Mariner
April 7, 2024, 7:38am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Got my ticket for last game v Swindon.
Will it be a celebration of relegation avoided before we start or a nervy 90 minutes getting us across the line……..or heavens forbid, still needing something at Crawley……

Forever the optimist…..surely neither Sutton or FGR will catch us….

Indeed coming up for the Swindon game share the same vibes as yourself "expensive fish & chips" my wife says,but after all i feel will be worth the drive.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
GibMariner
April 7, 2024, 7:52am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -963
Gold Stars: 21
Travelling so missed the game but pleased we are as far as I am concerned safe UTMM

Seen some of the worst football this season but seems the lads gave their all, which is all we ask.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
quebec38
April 7, 2024, 8:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Fantastic day all round yesterday. We don’t play the most attractive stuff right now but when we can’t sprinkle any magic, we at least now make sure it’s nigh on impossible for the opposition to get through us. Every single player puffed their chest out again and worked their balls off right to the final whistle.

It was a forced change but they probably didn’t anticipate Vernam playing quite as advanced as he did yesterday and he was another standout performer. Crunching tackles early on but from there on he barely had to defend and ran their defence ragged in some difficult to defend areas.

Thompson again absolutely rock solid; he is so important to us. He does all the dirty work plus he is so calm on the ball and good with it as well. Not shy to drop a shoulder or let the ball run across his body and play his way out of danger. Rose will end player of the season and rightly so, but Thompson won’t be far behind for many which is some story seeing as he signed only in January.

Not sure why but I was surprised when Artell said it was our third 1-0 home victory in our last five so I had a look at what we have done since the Doncaster shambles.

Home
P 5
W 3
D 1 (stoppage time equaliser)
L 1 (money bags FC)

Away
P 5
W 0
D 4 (had the lead in three games)
L 1 (promotion chasers)

Not a lot of goals scored but who would care after what we witnessed against Doncaster. It was all about picking up points from there on and we have found an effective way to do so.

Everyone should be so proud of themselves this morning. Buzzing now for Tuesday night.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
friskneymariner
April 7, 2024, 9:36am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
All 3 of Wilson chances were as a result of balls over the top,perhaps playing out from the back is not everything

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Maringer
April 7, 2024, 9:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,628
Gold Stars: 185
No, but if the opposition defence know you're likely to play it over the top most of the time, they can often deal with it much better. We're not likely to be good enough at playing it out from the back all the time, but if there is doubt in the minds of the opposition, it creates space elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
DaleH
April 7, 2024, 10:14am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
A pleasing and very important three points.

Newport put in what looked to be a season already over performance. They looked like their holiday suitcases were already packed.

We played okay I thought, given the poor quality of our squad this season and where we are. We did what we needed to do to control the game and get the points, so we can’t ask for anymore than that with the season we’ve had.

I was frustrated by Dom Wilson’s performance. People keep bigging up their keeper, but for me Wilson has to put some of those chances away. I think he had a real bad day at the office.

Obikwu is perhaps the most frustrating player we’ve got. For a big strong and athletic lad, he looks lazy, unwilling to run, and doesn’t hold the ball up for long enough when he can be bothered to win it. A young kid like him is never the answer to our problems, and the sooner he goes back to his parent club the better.

Rose his usual industrious self today. What Rose lacks in football finesse, he certainly makes up for with work rate and endeavour. His goals this season have been vital, and it’s great to see him back. He now needs some quality company alongside him up top.

Thompson has got better and better as the weeks have gone on, and as his fitness has improved. It wasn’t very long ago that he looked totally unfit. He’s now running the shop in there and is looking good.

It’s a step in the right direction towards survival. But boy are we gonna need a big rebuild this season, because this collective just aren’t up to it

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
Zmariner
April 7, 2024, 11:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Decent performance against weak opposition. Bottom line we just needed to win. It was the difference between a great afternoon and a crap afternoon. It was a great afternoon

Thomson fantastic, Tharme and Rose excellent , Vernam not far behind. 2 more points will leave FG needing to win 3 draw one and Sutton needing 2 wins and a draw. 3 points and they will need to win them all. A point at Harrogate will be fine, win and the season is over utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.