Reply: 30 - 40
forza ivano
April 2, 2024, 7:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,266
Gold Stars: 266
I think we are going to be relegated. the only straw I am clinging to is that we get Ainley, Khouri & Vernham in the starting 11 - all are creative and actually able to pass the ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
CSLM
April 2, 2024, 7:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Very worrying and then if we do stay up we will need a massive turnaround for next season, that is a possibility I suppose, other teams have done it and barring a few there isn't that much difference between most of the teams in the league.

As I said on another thread we are still in a good position to stay up and our fixtures are better than the others. Obviously a terrible position overall but here we are, lessons to be learnt.

Even though we have been shite if we go down from this point we will deserve it. We "should" be ok. We still have some decent opportunities including the Colchester game. I can see why people may be worried about that one though. That could be a nightmare when it comes round.

Saturday is important but not crucial, well could be almost crucial if it goes well. A lot depends on how Sutton do but they're running out of games fast, fair play to them though. It's a good job FGR and Sutton have shared their decent form and it wasn't one going on an even longer run.

Let's just win Saturday and we can be much more confident, I agree with others that we need to be more adventurous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
barralad
April 2, 2024, 8:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Teestogreen

I can remember watching Town beat Swindon 3-2 in the last game of a season in the late 60’s early 70’s - Stuart Housley scored a cracker  - however, to no avail as other results went against us, and Town were relegated to Division 4.

Hopefully, the management team will use that game in their motivational team talk - win and our luck changes and we stay up.

Those were tye days of league position being decided on goal average though rather than the current goal difference.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
RonMariner
April 2, 2024, 8:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,774
Gold Stars: 226
I think we need 46 points to stay up.  

I am not confident that we will beat Newport. I think a draw is a likely result, but we should beat Swindon. So we will need another two points from the other four games, all of which are away. Colchester perhaps? Not sure where else though. So I am tending towards a 45 point total for us. Which means we are sailing very close to the wind.

I think Colchester will grind out enough points from their 5 home games to stay up.

If we do stay up it will probably be thanks to FGR and Sutton having bad ends to the season. If either of them finish strongly we are going down.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
TownSNAFU5
April 2, 2024, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,893
Gold Stars: 42
Another shocking issue is that we want and need a big clear out of players at the end of the season.  Whatever league that we are in.  Our survival this season depends on these players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
April 2, 2024, 9:50pm
Guest User
And right on cue Wrexham lose to Donny.
Reply: 36 - 40
SouthLakesMariner
April 2, 2024, 11:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +938
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner

That Cardwell assisted run at the end of the 17/18 season saw us pick up 13 points from our final 5 games.  That was off the back of a 20-game winless streak, picking up just 6 points in the process.  Going into that Chesterfield game (42nd of the season) I had absolutely no hope we would  turn it around.  Yet we survived and in the end quite comfortably.  We discovered that Mitch Rose had both a long throw and was an absolute dead-eye on penalties, as you pointed out we figured out Cardwell was great at falling over, we found out that Martyn Woolford couldn't cut it on the wing but as part of a midfield three he still had something to offer, that the energy of Harry Clifton on the right of a front three was perfect for what we needed, that bloody hell JJ Hooper on the left offered far more than he ever did down the middle.

Loads happens in the final few weeks of the season.  This season is far from over, nor is it done with twists and turns.  Someone will emerge as an unexpected hero.

Eastwood & Glennon maybe ? Both with a point to prove and both will benefit massively from the change in system since they were last regulars in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
RonMariner
April 2, 2024, 11:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,774
Gold Stars: 226
We really need our best players to deliver now, and Vernam is clearly one of them so he needs to be given more game time on Saturday. Either start or come on early in the second half. I think Wilson should be given a chance early on too.

If we could just manage to win, it would transform our prospects. If we are on 43 points on Saturday night we are half way to safety I think, with a win against Swindon probably sealing the deal whatever our other results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
Norseman
April 2, 2024, 11:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +287
Gold Stars: 48
Our best chance of 3 pts in this run in was lost when we never went for it against a very poor Bradford side .I can't believe Newport or Swindon could be as bad .So feel we will be lucky to get a couple of draws in the final 6 games .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sutton United & Forest Green Rovers

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.