8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner Timsky
April 3, 2024, 8:23am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Wrexham play Colchester this Saturday and FGR the following Saturday - both games they will be looking to win - but we know better than that eh fellow Mariners

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
conscorner
April 3, 2024, 9:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Experienced ref this Saturday against Newport - Bobby Madley.

He spotted that last minute handball by Chesterfield in 2017/18 that resulted in Mitch Rose converting a penalty for a 1-0 win.

Proved to be a catalyst for Jolley's remarkable run in to avoid relegation.

A good omen perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
Lost in Lincoln
April 3, 2024, 11:25am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from GrimPol

I'm afraid Sutton has found form, and won 10 points from 15 (we have 5 from 15) and won 3 games with teams all above them, on the trot. When we played them on their "beach pitch" they just looked better than us and they were miles away in points below us then, so I had assumed they were down, and just going through the motions. Now look at them.
DA has brought on board some better players, but they are not enough. As a team, we still play like strangers, cannot pass, cannot trap, cannot throw in, cannot kick corners and in our final third we just stand back and watch whilst the opposition have all the time in the world to do something.. Barrow had our players bunched together in a corner whilst they passed the ball into the net with nobody near them. It was school boys v men sometimes. No matter how you look at it, its bad.

To add context, when you're bottom, *every* team is above you

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 70
April 3, 2024, 11:43am
Guest User
Quoted from conscorner
Experienced ref this Saturday against Newport - Bobby Madley.

He spotted that last minute handball by Chesterfield in 2017/18 that resulted in Mitch Rose converting a penalty for a 1-0 win.

Proved to be a catalyst for Jolley's remarkable run in to avoid relegation.

A good omen perhaps?

I hope he doesn’t make me eat my words, but he’s an excellent ref and it’ll make a change.
Reply: 63 - 70
Mikey_345
April 3, 2024, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,522
Gold Stars: 107
Think we stay up, but we’re certainly in more of a fight than we’d like.

Sutton’s form has picked up recently, that’s true. However I’m not sure a team bottom of the league a few weeks ago will maintain promotion form against the teams they have left, if they do - good luck to them but I’m not convinced.

Look, I get the negativity from some, I really do. We shouldn’t be here again and it’s a disaster that we are - personally think a big postmortem is needed but the time for that’s when the seasons over.

However we ourselves have lost two games (to top sides) in almost two months. We can understand we’re in trouble without overestimating the teams below and underestimating ourselves. 2 wins easily achievable imo and that for me is enough to be safe.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
jimgtfc
April 3, 2024, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 45
On Monday evening, I had us down, relegated and finished. I think the manner of the equaliser, coupled with the other strugglers getting good results led most to fear the worst and quite understandably.

On reflection however, I still wouldn’t swap our position with any of the other teams. Yes we’re struggling to win games, but we were only an unfortunate penalty away from getting just that, and we played “alright” as well, with plenty of work rate and determination on show as well, certainly a far cry from the listless, abject performances a few weeks/months back.

It’s still in our hands, and although as others have said, that’s worrying in itself, it shouldn’t really matter about the others form or fixtures, unless they go on some ridiculous run of wins of course. Saturday is winnable, drawable at worst, then 3 away games where I think we can stop Colchester beating us and maybe nick a point at either Crewe or Harrogate. Then our ‘easiest’ fixture of the run in against an abysmal Swindon where maximum points is a must, followed by a tricky trip to Crawley who could already be either in or out of the play offs by that point, again a point is achievable in my opinion. That’s a minimum of 6/7 points which I’m praying is enough.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Maringer
April 3, 2024, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 140381

I hope he doesn’t make me eat my words, but he’s an excellent ref and it’ll make a change.

(Though it would be helpful if he was biased in our favour on the day  )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
April 3, 2024, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mikey_345
Think we stay up, but we’re certainly in more of a fight than we’d like.

Sutton’s form has picked up recently, that’s true. However I’m not sure a team bottom of the league a few weeks ago will maintain promotion form against the teams they have left, if they do - good luck to them but I’m not convinced.

Look, I get the negativity from some, I really do. We shouldn’t be here again and it’s a disaster that we are - personally think a big postmortem is needed but the time for that’s when the seasons over.

However we ourselves have lost two games (to top sides) in almost two months. We can understand we’re in trouble without overestimating the teams below and underestimating ourselves. 2 wins easily achievable imo and that for me is enough to be safe.

It's not negative though, it's just realistic. We've seen enough relegations to know what they look like.

We are just so poor but like everyone else I am just praying we can somehow manage to survive, but there is very little we can do about it whatever we think on social media - the players and coaching staff just have to get us over the line.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
Mikey_345
April 3, 2024, 12:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,522
Gold Stars: 107

It's not negative though, it's just realistic. We've seen enough relegations to know what they look like.

We are just so poor but like everyone else I am just praying we can somehow manage to survive, but there is very little we can do about it whatever we think on social media - the players and coaching staff just have to get us over the line.

I’m sort of talking about the people that say we’re down already. As I say though, I get it - we’ve seen this too many times before and I really don’t blame people for fearing/thinking the worst.

I just think (within the current context) there’s scope to be a little more optimistic. That doesn’t mean this is an acceptable position to be in, just recognises we are but we’ve been ok since Doncaster and lost only twice since then, have more games and Sutton/FGR have some unbelievably tough games.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
chelseacity
April 3, 2024, 12:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I was at a meeting in New York & it was being run by a sports agent called Mark McCormack, he had some employees he didn't think that they were working as hard as the remuneration that he was paying them, so we all sat around the table & he asked those who had been struggling how they did the job, then asked those that really were successful, at the end of the meeting it was agreed that what brought the successful guys to the top was 'They really wanted to do it' & the least successful guys never gave an answer any where near that. So if you want GTFC to stay in the EFL the actual players have 'Really got to want to do it'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Staying UP

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.