ska face
March 29, 2024, 10:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,750
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from arryarryarry

He has a point though, I very much doubt the thousands of people that visit Cleethorpes do so to go paddling in the Humber.

You should be building attractions for the majority not a very small minority.

“Substantial commercial, office and light industrial spaces are proposed in new premises at the dock edge. The southern portion of the historic Fish Dock 2 will be reinstated. Significant public realm improvements will transform the approach to Grimsby Docks.

Overall, a wide range of uses for the 300,000 sq ft are planned, and are primarily designed to suit the green maritime and renewables sector.

Site owner and developer Tom Shutes, said: "My aim has always been to keep the history and the docks alive by physically reminding visitors of the functions of the Ice Factory, which served as a beating heart of the Kasbah region. In bringing the regeneration of the Ice Factory and Fish Dock 2 forward, we hope that the area will become the UK Capital of a new beating heart for the modern engineering businesses and innovators who today work in the offshore wind, renewables and green maritime sector."

Yes, sounds very small scale and for niche interests.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
diehardmariner
March 29, 2024, 10:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from arryarryarry

He has a point though, I very much doubt the thousands of people that visit Cleethorpes do so to go paddling in the Humber.

You should be building attractions for the majority not a very small minority.

Open water swimming is doubling and even trebling in popularity every single year and has done for the last five or six years.  That's a statement of fact. So there's a market for it, somewhere.

There's also a huge lack of facility to host it.  Swimming in the docks, like me and Stadium do, isn't particularly formalised. It's a bit rough and ready, but it's fine for me. There also isn't the scope for it to be done for the masses. I'm comfortable with how it is now, not everyone though and a lot of people prefer to have the benefit of OWS but with the set up, security and privacy you would in a pool.

The nearest facility for that to here is Activities Away which is a lake the other side of Lincoln. Personally I don't like lake swimming, to me it's a duck toilet but fair enough to those who do. The facility is quite basic yet the last time I looked it was about a tenner a visit. It's always busy.  Beyond that it's Holme Pierrepont at Nottingham.

Just because OWS might be a minority sport in Grimsby, it doesn't mean there isn't a demand for it. The facilities just aren't there.

If a really good OWS facility was built in Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Doncaster....wherever, people would travel and pay for it.  Just like how people go to Castleford to indoor ski.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
Norseman
March 29, 2024, 11:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +287
Gold Stars: 48
I think we are all just sceptics as all the plans and suggested projects never seem to happen .It would be great to see one as ambitious as this come to fruition.But won't hold my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
male private Nale
March 30, 2024, 5:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -923
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from diehardmariner

No, you're absolutely right. Let's just do nothing and watch the town rot into obscurity. Those plans that are a bit different are for other towns.

Feel free to tell us your grand plan for regeneration and rejuvenation of Grimsby. Genuinely curious to see if it extends to anything beyond bringing back Mad Harry's and Norris The Rubber man.

Erm, what's your grand plan? this isn't yours it belongs to someone else.

As for mine, I do not have one but then I am not being paid an extortionate amount of money to come up with these white elephants. An open water swimming pool is so niche its a total non starter and I would put my last quid on this never seeing the light of day, thankfully.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
GollyGTFC
March 30, 2024, 7:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Yes, how weird that Town fans on a GTFC board point out that the stadium has suddenly gone missing from the plans. Not the sort of thing any of us should be bothered about really I suppose.

How exactly has a new stadium gone missing from the plans.

The stadium project was part of his plans to buy the club. He didn’t buy the club. Why would he plough on with a stadium project when the current owners won’t entertain even a discussion on the need for a new stadium and trot out BS like “we’re not filling BP” when we all know every half decent seat is sold to a STH and casual fans have to put up with heavily restricted views.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 70
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 30, 2024, 10:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,888
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from GollyGTFC

How exactly has a new stadium gone missing from the plans.

The stadium project was part of his plans to buy the club. He didn’t buy the club. Why would he plough on with a stadium project when the current owners won’t entertain even a discussion on the need for a new stadium and trot out BS like “we’re not filling BP” when we all know every half decent seat is sold to a STH and casual fans have to put up with heavily restricted views.

As a businessman, TS may see our need for a new stadium and incorporate facilities within and adjacent to it that will make it a worthwhile business decision. He’d be guaranteed rent from the club to hire it, and also have a facility that could be used for whatever reasons that was deemed possible on non match days. Am not saying that he’s got upwards of £40m hidden under a mattress but I’d like to think that even if it was dismissed that there have at least been tentative discussions with JS and AP.

It’s not a situation that I like the idea of (not owning the ground - unless on a very long lease) but it could be one of the very few scenarios where we actually get to play in a new home stadium

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2024, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
This thread tells you everything you need to know about the mindset of a proportion of our support.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
Stadium
March 30, 2024, 10:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from male private Nale

Erm, what's your grand plan? this isn't yours it belongs to someone else.

As for mine, I do not have one but then I am not being paid an extortionate amount of money to come up with these white elephants. An open water swimming pool is so niche its a total non starter and I would put my last quid on this never seeing the light of day, thankfully.

Laughably out of touch.
You don't seem to understand the range of activities you can promote with such a development.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
Stadium
March 30, 2024, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner

Open water swimming is doubling and even trebling in popularity every single year and has done for the last five or six years.  That's a statement of fact. So there's a market for it, somewhere.

There's also a huge lack of facility to host it.  Swimming in the docks, like me and Stadium do, isn't particularly formalised. It's a bit rough and ready, but it's fine for me. There also isn't the scope for it to be done for the masses. I'm comfortable with how it is now, not everyone though and a lot of people prefer to have the benefit of OWS but with the set up, security and privacy you would in a pool.

The nearest facility for that to here is Activities Away which is a lake the other side of Lincoln. Personally I don't like lake swimming, to me it's a duck toilet but fair enough to those who do. The facility is quite basic yet the last time I looked it was about a tenner a visit. It's always busy.  Beyond that it's Holme Pierrepont at Nottingham.

Just because OWS might be a minority sport in Grimsby, it doesn't mean there isn't a demand for it. The facilities just aren't there.

If a really good OWS facility was built in Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Doncaster....wherever, people would travel and pay for it.  Just like how people go to Castleford to indoor ski.

Activities Away is a very good example.
From a basic lake to a very successful business with watersports,aqua run events,food nights etc.
Remember when it was a fiver to swim there haha.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
AdamHaddock
March 30, 2024, 11:03am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from HertsGTFC
This thread tells you everything you need to know about the mindset of a proportion of our support.

Not just our support but the apathy that lingers over the area in general. People moan about the state of the town but then moan when someone has ideas to improve it.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › No Docks Stadium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.