Private Message
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 5:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,538
Gold Stars: 1,500
First and foremost, excellent news that Callum Ainley is back at the club and seemingly doing well.

Secondly, Pearson on media duty as Artell’s “got a busy day with different meetings and stuff”. A sign that Artell is feeling the pressure (or at least hasn’t enjoyed recent RH interrogations), or am I reading too much into that?

Thirdly, nice interview from Shaun. He seems to have grown more comfortable and more confident in front of the microphone since he initially took over as joint caretaker boss.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
MuddyWaters
February 15, 2024, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Poojah
First and foremost, excellent news that Callum Ainley is back at the club and seemingly doing well.

Secondly, Pearson on media duty as Artell’s “got a busy day with different meetings and stuff”. A sign that Artell is feeling the pressure (or at least hasn’t enjoyed recent RH interrogations), or am I reading too much into that?

Thirdly, nice interview from Shaun. He seems to have grown more comfortable and more confident in front of the microphone since he initially took over as joint caretaker boss.

I don't think any manager likes being grilled when things are going badly. Don't think the chairman does either. It's human nature.

Certainly don't think Matt Dean was as hard on Shaun as he would have been on DA.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
DB
February 15, 2024, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,008
Gold Stars: 386
I enjoyed Shaun's no waffle interview, apart from the intro explaining DA had other things to do. Nice to know that Khouri will be looked at so lets hope he gets a Town shirt on soon.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Northbank Mariner
February 15, 2024, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from davmariner
Shaun Pearson’s pre-match. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hc5v9j

We get it, you don't like DA....well guess what, best get used to him, he won't be going anywhere, anytime soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
HertsGTFC
February 15, 2024, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,916
Gold Stars: 228
I hope Shaun Pearson will go on to manage Grimsby Town hopefully in the EFL.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
ginnywings
February 15, 2024, 8:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
I hope DA was busy signing a couple of cracking free agents, but I suspect he just wanted a break from being asked about playing out from the back and whether he is concerned about relegation, whilst giving the same answers over and over.

A different voice on comms is no bad thing now and again, and Shaun is always good value.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Heisenberg
February 15, 2024, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

We get it, you don't like DA....well guess what, best get used to him, he won't be going anywhere, anytime soon.

Well, if his mates Hurst and Doig were both still here, we’d be in the bottom 2 already, so whether he likes DA or not is irrelevant, he’s got a job to do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
davmariner
February 15, 2024, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,930
Gold Stars: 79

How odd. No one mentioned David Artell apart from you. A young coach speaking/representing the management so well at a pretty awful time for the club should be a good thing right?

Bloody hell, are people really that obsessed with defending Artell that much?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Spurn boy
February 15, 2024, 8:52pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,237
Gold Stars: 27
Good interview with Shaun explaining the reasons for playing out from the back which was easier to understand than if DA was trying to explain it. Was pleasing to hear that both him and DA know exactly how they want the team to play and they will not be put off achieving this by players making basic mistakes. He came over very confident and hope he continues with town for a long time.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
arryarryarry
February 15, 2024, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116

Only time will tell. I'm not saying yet he will take us down but he certainly has to get some better performances and more points sooner than later.

However you do sound a bit like those who kept saying Neil Woods wouldn't take us down.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Mappers
February 15, 2024, 10:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Heisenberg

Well, if his mates Hurst and Doig were both still here, we’d be in the bottom 2 already, so whether he likes DA or not is irrelevant, he’s got a job to do.

Don't know about that , he always managed to turn things around and longer reverting to type might have seen the same - I thought the time was right for him to go btw a bit before they pulled the trigger .

Hopefully now Big D turns things around , so nobody with any emotional attachment or duty to Hurst are asking 'what if?' come season end .

2 or 3 wins in the next 6 would take the pressure off - (ideally Saturday & FGR ) then we could all relax a bit .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
February 16, 2024, 8:30am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

How odd. No one mentioned David Artell apart from you. A young coach speaking/representing the management so well at a pretty awful time for the club should be a good thing right?

Bloody hell, are people really that obsessed with defending Artell that much?

Not as obsessed as those attacking him.

Reply: 12 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2024, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers

Don't know about that , he always managed to turn things around and longer reverting to type might have seen the same - I thought the time was right for him to go btw a bit before they pulled the trigger .

Hopefully now Big D turns things around , so nobody with any emotional attachment or duty to Hurst are asking 'what if?' come season end .

2 or 3 wins in the next 6 would take the pressure off - (ideally Saturday & FGR ) then we could all relax a bit .

Not sure about that Mappers. He took us down last time despite being allowed to sign loads of players in the January and he only had to improve us a bit.

Although very cautious with his tactics he gambles a lot on signing new players which sometimes works but often doesn't.

I think he has been quite lucky really with our owners - he could have been sacked after the relegation,  he could have been sacked after that terrible run in non league and perhaps should have been sacked earlier than he was this season.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out at Shrewsbury as despite getting some respectable draws they are only just above the trapdoor.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Northbank Mariner
February 17, 2024, 8:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from arryarryarry

Only time will tell. I'm not saying yet he will take us down but he certainly has to get some better performances and more points sooner than later.

However you do sound a bit like those who kept saying Neil Woods wouldn't take us down.

Way off the mark pal, I was one that didn't want Woods in the first place, also was against the Jewellery appointment although I did get suckered into the Hollowhead hype..
I'm saying Artell won't go anywhere anytime soon purely because Stockwood has an ethos of giving people time to prove themselves and not sacking them at the first sign of adversity,  which is very magnanimous abd can be tolerated in a commercial business, but we all know football is nothing like that....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
HertsGTFC
February 17, 2024, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,916
Gold Stars: 228

Not sure about that Mappers. He took us down last time despite being allowed to sign loads of players in the January and he only had to improve us a bit.

Although very cautious with his tactics he gambles a lot on signing new players which sometimes works but often doesn't.

I think he has been quite lucky really with our owners - he could have been sacked after the relegation,  he could have been sacked after that terrible run in non league and perhaps should have been sacked earlier than he was this season.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out at Shrewsbury as despite getting some respectable draws they are only just above the trapdoor.

To be fair to Hurst the squad he inherited from Holloway was miles worse than the one Artell has inherited from Hurst.

He may have brought some new faces in but he had no real money to play with.

The side that went down was a car crash compared to the one that went back up 12 months later.

All that said despite if we go down this season some of that will be down to some poor recruitment decisions last summer.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
GrimPol
February 17, 2024, 9:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -664
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Poojah

Actually you are reading a lot into it. The interview pre match is simple compared to after the match when you have to tell the audience why you lost 3:1 at home with your GK passing to the opposition, without venting your frustration for an idiotic brain f*rt knowing that in 3 days time you depend on him said GK to stop goals at Colchester. I know which I would like to miss if in DA's boots.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
A Brace Of Tees
February 17, 2024, 10:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
I get what DA is trying to do with the players - it's just a pity he communicates it poorly in interviews, with his long-winded responses which come across at times as being a touch arrogant.

Shaun on the other hand has explained clearly about the need to entice opponents to press and then exploit the opportunities created - and it makes a lot of sense how he explains it.

Maybe he should do more of these interviews because he appears to be very good at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
MuddyWaters
February 17, 2024, 10:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
I get what DA is trying to do with the players - it's just a pity he communicates it poorly in interviews, with his long-winded responses which come across at times as being a touch arrogant.

Shaun on the other hand has explained clearly about the need to entice opponents to press and then exploit the opportunities created - and it makes a lot of sense how he explains it.

Maybe he should do more of these interviews because he appears to be very good at it.

It’s clearly not working though as Stockport’s manager pointed out. They set traps, picked us off and had the game won in half an hour.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
toontown
February 17, 2024, 12:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GrimPol

Actually you are reading a lot into it. The interview pre match is simple compared to after the match when you have to tell the audience why you lost 3:1 at home with your GK passing to the opposition, without venting your frustration for an idiotic brain f*rt knowing that in 3 days time you depend on him said GK to stop goals at Colchester. I know which I would like to miss if in DA's boots.

Yeah but Artell carries ultimate responsibility for the performance and result so if he doesn't like carrying the can for mistakes arising from his tactics or defeats then he can always decide to change that stuff. Shaun can't as he is only the assistant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
GrimPol
February 17, 2024, 12:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -664
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s clearly not working though as Stockport’s manager pointed out. They set traps, picked us off and had the game won in half an hour.

So they knew the GK would pass to one of their forwards?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 17, 2024, 12:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Easy to say this after you won but in reality the first goal came from an horrendous pass and any team would expect their central midfield player to have someone on his back in these circumstances. The second half nothing to do with playing out from the back just we were caught upfield from a set piece and the third came from a crap clearance and even worse marking in the box.

Keep repeating the main reason this system fails is the poor quality of our midfield players and their inability to receive the ball from the back four and be comfortable in possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
CSLM
February 17, 2024, 1:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Easy to say this after you won but in reality the first goal came from an horrendous pass and any team would expect their central midfield player to have someone on his back in these circumstances. The second half nothing to do with playing out from the back just we were caught upfield from a set piece and the third came from a crap clearance and even worse marking in the box.

Keep repeating the main reason this system fails is the poor quality of our midfield players and their inability to receive the ball from the back four and be comfortable in possession.

Yep spot on. This is the major problem.
I think long term this will work but it is fair to question trying it when we are lacking those midfielders, big time.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › A breath of fresh air

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.