MuddyWaters
January 18, 2024, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

Who said anything about it being Debbie's fault.

Who do you know left because of her?

🤔🤔
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
rancido
January 18, 2024, 7:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Why are they leaving? It can't be Debbie's fault anymore as she's leaving.

Joe came here from doing the same role in rugby, isn't from the town so doesn't have blinded loyalty and has just landed the same role at a Premier League team.

Football does pay non-playing staff notoriously low; the salary and job expectations for a lot of what we have advertised don't marry up to me, but that is football.

Have your ever left a job to further your career, gain more experience at a higher level  or for a significantly higher wage? I know that I have and I'm sure many others have.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
sam gy
January 18, 2024, 7:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,479
Gold Stars: 56
Please let’s not start with this boring shite about people leaving because of the owners/Debbie again!

Wouldn’t say it’s a massive turnover for this role is it? There’s been what 3 people ever including this guy in the last 10 years or so.

24k is not an amazing salary, but it is what it is. A family member recently graduated with a forensic biology degree and her first role in that field is paying a salary of 19k and it’s based in Norwich.

I know for certain some junior level positions in London at media companies pay the same kind of salary. At least Cleethorpes/Grimsby is one of the cheapest areas in the country to live In.

Doesn’t mean it’s right and it certainly shouldn’t be a race to the bottom, but I guess this is all we can afford to allocate to the role and with that comes the risk that a member of staff might not stay years. Especially if they’re successful in using the club as a stepping stone to a bigger/better role (which is a totally normal thing to do), or in time somehow prove that they are indispensable and worth paying more to keep hold of through the work they produce.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
pizzzza
January 18, 2024, 9:11pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I really do not understand this fascination with office staff at the club, how much they earn, why they decide to move on, etc. Seems to be a recent phenomenon but seriously, as long as they are doing their job well who cares?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
grimps
January 19, 2024, 6:33am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from DB

Pay £40k a year and several on here would be having a meltdown on why that money isn’t being used to get in a better centre back! Like others have said it provides a good route into the industry and opens up great opportunities for the future if you’re any good. Plus we don’t know if the salary is reviewed regularly and increased quickly based on performance.

Dammed if they don't and dammed if they do.

[/quote]

We should get him on a 3 year contract with a sell on clause
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
VinnyGTFC
January 19, 2024, 8:51am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +135
Gold Stars: 20
Charlton Athletic advertising same job with same money.
No big deal it is what it is. The going rate for a job that appears to get it's own thread on here.
Everyone goes to University now, so these nothing jobs demand a degree however there is no wage battling to change that.
I would suggest it's more likely a football linked job is a CV starter role therefore doesn't attract bigger money, and I would suggest for good reason
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from pizzzza
I really do not understand this fascination with office staff at the club, how much they earn, why they decide to move on, etc. Seems to be a recent phenomenon but seriously, as long as they are doing their job well who cares?

I have to say I find the over analysing a little bit odd.  But I don't think it's exclusive to our club, lots of clubs are posting similar positions and you get the same type of responses.

Be it right or wrong, it's the going rate for this type of role.  It's a step-up type role and I'm pretty sure that there's that expectation of a high turnover rate.

Locally I think the 'interest' probably comes more from the ethos, culture etc. that 1878 talk about and people think because we're going for B-Corp we should be paying higher.  When actually, this role probably is about the Real Living Wage (voluntary) and a fair bit more than the National Living Wage (statutory). UK wide the Real Living Wage is about £24k based on a normal working week and £12 an hour. The National Living Wage is about £20k.   https://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-real-living-wage.

That link takes you to an accrediting body for the UK to show you're paying the National Living Wage.  If you've got that B-Corp sign it off from their perspective (no point checking twice).  It's not required but probably just speeds things up.  GTFC are actually accredited by The Living Wage Foundation along with Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Leicester, Palace, Fulham, Man City, Arsenal, Luton and Brighton which came at a cost of about £60,000 in upping wages. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62996172

For anyone cool enough, here's B-Corp's Living Wage Assessment Framework - https://kb.bimpactassessment.n.....-B-Impact-Assessment

There's definitely an argument that the cost of living here is lower than the vast majority of the rest of the country.  Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool, Birmingham are all more expensive to live yet don't get London weighting.  I'm not saying it's right that we could pay less owing to location but just stating the situation.

Fair points that there will be times when this role has long days.  But it will also have periods of significant down-time.  End of the season for example.  It's standard across many industries to cram hours at pinch points and then ease off at others.

Salaries at the club seem to be the latest stick to hit the club with, yet it's not quite as simple as just putting extra money into it.  The BBC article has some interesting comments from Debbie Cook when it comes to the realities of even meeting the Living Wage Foundation rate.  
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
forza ivano
January 19, 2024, 11:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,261
Gold Stars: 266
Excellent post diehatd👏👏👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › new media officer has started

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.