8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
September 25, 2023, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,078
Gold Stars: 178
Buckley had a big advantage over Hurst because during his time here Grimsby was a bustling Town that was commutable from pretty much every Town, City & Village in the country, therefore made our ability to compete in the Championship much easier.

Unfortunately when Hurst came in we relocated to middle earth & understandably struggled to attract any right minded individual to even step within 100 miles of the training ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 77
diehardmariner
September 25, 2023, 3:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
In which case why can't he find an Ent who can put the ball in the net?  There are millions of them!!!!!!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 25, 2023, 3:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307

I thought he had an ACL injury at Fortuna Sittard but, based on his appearance history there, he clearly didn’t.

Jeffrey ran like an ill-advised, public school initiation ceremony, involving a bog brush, had gone hideously wrong.

Lost his place to McCoist at Kilmarnock. Right-footed. Like a 1.4 Vauxhall Astra.

So bow legged he looked like the Bridge of Sighs running towards The Pontoon.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 77
Gaffer58
September 25, 2023, 3:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
Always been a Buckley fan, and admittedly he more then likely had better footballers then todays squad, but he played a game that in some ways was an earlier version of Man City today, keep ball style even if it meant passing along the back four a few times. You would think that as football has progressed that any professional player could trap,pass and move ready to receive it but it still seems to me that division 4 football is still stuck in the 70’s, 80’s etc, just look at the fare that Wrexham deliver.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 77
VinnyGTFC
September 25, 2023, 4:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 20
Loads of differences , comparisons are difficult.
Buckley's first spell, he was literally the first non league manager to take the best of the conference into the league. Practically all were part time footballers and to assemble that squad today would cost in excessive of 2 million. It wouldn't be possible for Grimsby Town to do that anymore.
Second spell was different, always felt that Arthur  Mann was Buckley's Peter Taylor to Cloughie but again what Buckley had done couldn't be replicated again so he was a success of time/place and what he could dip into.
It was an amazing time that I'm pleased I was there for but don't think I'll see again.
For those witness to it.The lyrics from James spring to mind. If I hadn't seen such riches , I could live with being poor
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 77
arryarryarry
September 25, 2023, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116

Any manager should have been fired for signing Mike Jeffrey.

You could say the same about signing Stefan Payne.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 25, 2023, 4:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from arryarryarry

You could say the same about signing Stefan Payne.

There is a long list of miscreants who should never have put on a Town shirt, regardless of the manager.

'Spike'  Stephenson who appeared to have only the most basic understanding of his position, what was required and indeed football as a game. A player who was the dictionary definition of out of his depth.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 77
Sussexmariner
September 25, 2023, 4:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Irrespective of budgets and different era's of football Buckley more often than not got the best out of the players he signed.
Unlike Hurst, whether that’s because he buys players that doesn’t fit in to his style of play or just motivational skills,  who knows….

Not a big fan of Hurst, a bit one dimensional and negative for me but in my opinion Buckley has been THE best manager we have ever had so a bit unfair to compare

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 77
grimsby pete
September 25, 2023, 5:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,807
Gold Stars: 222
Another difference  Hurst teams might not play the beutiful football Buckley got them playing but he has double our average home attendance.

That was with a ĺittle help from Fenty leaving and 1878 taking over.😉

OOPs !!!!   Meant season tickets.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 77
Mappers
September 25, 2023, 5:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,393
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from pontoonlew
Buckley had a big advantage over Hurst because during his time here Grimsby was a bustling Town that was commutable from pretty much every Town, City & Village in the country, therefore made our ability to compete in the Championship much easier.

Unfortunately when Hurst came in we relocated to middle earth & understandably struggled to attract any right minded individual to even step within 100 miles of the training ground.

I'm lost with that mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › AB/PH comparisons

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.