6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 16, 2023, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
I've not seen any evidence that Waterfall is even too slow! He's obviously not rapid, but I've always thought he was quicker than some think. I didn't go today but it's disappointing that we apparently conceded the first half goals in the way in which we did.

The BBC report reckons we had almost 60% possession which indicates we were more than in the game, but we're certainly not creating many opportunities at the moment. Perhaps not surprising, given all the injuries in attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
wxm80s
September 16, 2023, 6:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
I wouldn't be too down at all chaps. I'm not in anyway gloating here by the way. You're a good side. Genuinely. Better than most I've seen so far.

Bearing in mind that was far and away our best performance of the season, and we could start pretty much our best team for the first time, and it clicked for the first time too.
You were better than Walsall and Doncaster by a distance. We weren't out of sight at two nil or we didn't feel it was anyway. The folk around me (I was opposite you) were nervous. I wasn't comfortable either as you did dominate in periods but lack the final pass to cut through us.

All the best for the rest of the season, bar against us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
fishcake63
September 16, 2023, 6:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Hate wrexham but today they took the mickey simple as that far superior in every department also like to add & again not a fan of his but mullin is superb at this level so is elliot lee but prob on 5 even 6k a week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
louth_in_the_south
September 16, 2023, 6:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
All about opinions and there’s a wide range tonight which probably indicates we weren’t that bad.  

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
Maringer
September 16, 2023, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You're rarely that bad if you've managed to have 60% possession. Just a pity about the lack of a goal threat.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
Bigdog
September 16, 2023, 6:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
We were very deep first half. They let us have possession, which skewed the stats, and picked us off in the areas that matter. They also looked more rounded as a team and every player knew their roles, yet we probably visited the final third as much as they did. The difference was they were more decisive, moved the ball quicker, had better deliveries and more attackers in the box. Lee, Mullen and Fletcher are players we can only dream of. They're on a different trajectory to us, but if we had a full squad available like they did and not played five at the back, I reckon it would have been a lot tighter game and maybe we could have exploited one or two vulnerabilities they have defending. I watched 45 minutes of Notts County last night, they impressed me a lot more than Wrexham, but still had one or two defensive frailties. I don't think we're as far away as some think, Khan showed that in his cameo today. A frustratingly understandable defeat due to injuries in all honesty..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2023, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
You're rarely that bad if you've managed to have 60% possession. Just a pity about the lack of a goal threat.  

It depends where you have possession. No good if most of that 60% is passing sideways and backwards.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
moosey_club
September 16, 2023, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,285
Gold Stars: 226
Useless fckers...can't even manage to lose 4-0 to bring my predictions in. 😄
Not bothered about the result in all honestly as didn't expect anything else.
Have to look at a bigger picture....more possession yet probably less goal threat......pattern emerging.
Rose injured....why? Overplaying him ? Making him flog another 15 -20 mins out of his body for several weeks maybe a factor?
Pretty much no attacking alternative in the squad...why?

One game like this against well backed opposition won't define our season...but the emerging patterns undoubtedly will.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Madeleymariner
September 16, 2023, 7:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Frustrating indeed. 90 mins before we had a shot from insde their box I think (slow back header into Howards arms). Because of set pieces he goes 3 at the back and we let in 2 headers so that worked well.  Good defensive planning, Maher (smallest of our centre backs) following Palmer about and usually Waterfall (our slowest defender) following Mullen??. It was so simple how Wrexham worked it. A Reds fan on train said he was inline with play for first goal and thought it was just offside. First 2 goals almost identical, set piece cleared to 35 yards wide and our whole defence stands on 6 yard line waiting for the cross again instead of pushing out (its hard to score headers from edge of the box). Still 2 down, Wrexham corner on 71 mins and we had all 11 players in our own box defending and I mean literally in our box, not stood just outside even, what is that about. We had some really good spells and put them under pressure but nowhere near and end result, No one played badly we just don't seem able to open up defences despite all the possession. I expect the Xs for not saying well they get paid more, better players, etc. but if you don't win whoever it is thats 3 points more than us that the other team have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Maringer
September 16, 2023, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
By definition, a lot of retained possession is backwards and sideways. You can't kick the ball forwards all the time. Tiki taka was backwards and forwards and the likes of Man City often have the ball going forward to the wings before working it back into midfield multiple times before putting it into the box.

Now, I'm not claiming that we're anything like Barcelona or Man City, but keeping a high level of possession is certainly something which will stand us in good stead against teams which don't have expensive former internationals playing for them...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.