15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
July 13, 2023, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543

Fair enough but I would be gobsmacked if a decent architect couldn't solve any problems. From memory there is extra room behind the stand so maybe there is a bit of wriggle room.

It's the cost more than a decent design that worries me.

As a Main Stander, there's not a lot of room behind the stand at all.  It's a fairly narrow pathway between the back of the stand and then the gardens from Harrington Street houses, at the widest points it's probably the same as the gap at the back of the Pontoon. No doubt there will be scope to use that space better and indeed the space under the stands (at the minute the toilets are separate from the stand when they could be built within the structure.  But it's limited scope.  

To my untrained eye, it's the corners where we've got the greatest scope to develop.  

Private Message
Reply: 130 - 148
ginnywings
July 13, 2023, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
The walkway behind the Pontoon is underneath the seating, whereas in the Main stand it isn't, which gives scope for more rows of seating to be added up to the perimeter of the ground.

Turnstiles, toilets and food outlets could be incorporated into the space beneath, more or less where they are currently, but beneath the seating, same as the Pontoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 148
Theimperialcoroner
July 13, 2023, 11:12am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 103
I’ve wondered for a while why there are gaps on row Q of the Pontoon. Being a bit sad I counted these up and it amounts to 81 spaces where seats could be. Over a season that’s close to £40k lost I know it’s not loads extra but surely worth filling them if we can.
I’m sure there’ll be some cod-safety reason but it’s certainly no worse that the back of other clubs’ stands.
Are there other parts of the ground similarly under used? The Main/Osmond cage seems like one area of dead space but as I’ve not been down there some Mick Lyons era, not sure now.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 148
diehardmariner
July 13, 2023, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from ginnywings
The walkway behind the Pontoon is underneath the seating, whereas in the Main stand it isn't, which gives scope for more rows of seating to be added up to the perimeter of the ground.

Turnstiles, toilets and food outlets could be incorporated into the space beneath, more or less where they are currently, but beneath the seating, same as the Pontoon.

Genuinely didn't realise the walkway behind the Pontoon was beneath seating.  That's the way I leave the ground every game and I've always just presumed it was a definitive end of the structure.  

Every day is a school day, eh?
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 148
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 13, 2023, 11:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Would some form of tiered stand be a viable project to increase capacity. I realise that it has to stay on the same footing that it currently stands but unsure if this would be possible to get extra seating. Am thinking something not too far away from these:

Attachment: img_4569_5569.jpeg
Size: 43.70 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 148
lew chaterleys lover
July 13, 2023, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,765
Gold Stars: 237
In hypothetical terms I am talking about a totally new structure,  designed and constructed cleverly to utilise every square inch of the available footprint on the Main stand side. What is there now is completely irrelevant. For example an architect might opt to use that space entirely for seating/corporate facilities and move the changing rooms and anything else that is on that side to another part of the ground, subject to a blueprint for a stadium revamp.

It's a more complicated version of those TV shows where they turn a cluttered terrace house into a spacious and glorious place to live.

As I have said before it is the cost which is more of a worry as architects used to dealing with this sort of work can perform miracles.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 148
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 13, 2023, 1:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,312
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Would some form of tiered stand be a viable project to increase capacity. I realise that it has to stay on the same footing that it currently stands but unsure if this would be possible to get extra seating. Am thinking something not too far away from these:

While these would be fantastic, the residents of Harrington St may feel differently about having that to look at out of their back windows.

And before anyone says that their view isn't herds of wildebeest across the majestic plains of The Serengeti, they will all have bought their houses knowing what the view was because it's been there 100+ years. They may object to the change of view, potential change of daylight into their houses and gardens etc

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 148
July 13, 2023, 8:38pm
Guest User
[quote=140636]

While these would be fantastic, the residents of Harrington St may feel differently about having that to look at out of their back windows.

And before anyone says that their view isn't herds of wildebeest across the majestic plains of The Serengeti, they will all have bought their houses knowing what the view was because it's been there 100+ years. They may object to the change of view, potential change of daylight into their houses and gardens etc

Yes, south-facing back gardens so a higher stand could shade them. I'd be upset in that situation. When I bought my house over here I think the vendors were quite surprised when my first question was how much sun the garden caught!
Reply: 137 - 148
grimps
July 13, 2023, 10:45pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,155
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from 800
[quote=140636]

Yes, south-facing back gardens so a higher stand could shade them. I'd be upset in that situation. When I bought my house over here I think the vendors were quite surprised when my first question was how much sun the garden caught!

Well I’m sure GTFC wouldn’t mind them laying their towels on the pitch the 6 times a year we get some sun 🌞
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 148
Limerick Mariner
July 14, 2023, 7:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
With the way the climate is going they may be delighted if a new double decker Main Stand shaded their gardens…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 148
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Show us the money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.