Limerick Mariner
June 5, 2023, 8:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Probably too long ago for you luke, but the away fans used to be housed in the Harrington st corner next to the pontoon when it was standing except when there was a big following and they would be in the osmond.

Yes - I remember that from the 89/90 promotion season. Worked well, let the feckers get wet and cold…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
lukeo
June 6, 2023, 6:58am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I was 1 years old so I guess it was just before I started to watch  
I know it's not realistic but it's a shame the pontoon doesn't have the same shaped roof or filled corners. Me and a few friends even tried moving to the main stand for a couple of games to create an atmosphere, it went OK but wasn't enough people who came on those couple of games to make it effective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
rancido
June 6, 2023, 8:15am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
IMO the atmosphere at BP seems to be set around the first 15 to 20 minutes of play ( except for possibly big cup games or large away followings). If town start well and are on the front foot or score then the fans respond and the atmosphere lifts. If we start defensively or have several poor passages of play then the crowd falls flat and so does the atmosphere.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
OddShapedBalls
June 6, 2023, 8:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from diehardmariner
Even if empty, noise will travel better round an enclosed stadium than one with open corners.  

I understand any caution around not filling in the corners if we ended up putting seating/standing in them, but I'm a firm believer that you have to try something before it can fail or succeed.  

The game and appetite for football has massively changed since 1995 when those corners were last filled in, even then they were open and exposed to the elements.  Noise generation aside, there's an opportunity in my eyes to increase our capacity with those unused (or should I say under utilised) corners.  At the minute they serve very little purpose other than as an overflow carpark and storage of some skips.  

I've absolutely no idea in terms of the the technicalities of it all, but Barnet's new ground had a very, very basic temporary stand in place behind the goal for a few years that was pretty decent in comparison to a lot I've seen.  You can still have space behind for facilities etc.

Having had some time to think about it, I've been in crowds of as little as 7,000 sometimes at Parc y Scarlets and it's still a cauldron of noise even with low attendances but it is fully enclosed and has standing areas...and a massive tv screen to show camera angles of the decisions the ref is looking at so everyone can complain loudly, and a good pa system to pump music out on.  It's a bit gimmicky but they also have the pyrotechnics out pre-game as the players are coming out with plumes of fire and you can feel the heat if you're in the south stand.  Finances and regulations will obviously limit Town from doing all that but there's certainly something in having a wound up noisy crowd for the first 20 mins that buoys the players, then hopefully the players can keep the crowd going after that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
diehardmariner
June 6, 2023, 9:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Yeah good points OSB.

I wouldn't want to to reach the gimmick levels of Selhurst Park with the announcing of the scorer where the crowd repeat the surname back in the second part of the announcement. (tried to find a video, but to no joy).  But a decent sound system wouldn't half go amiss.  The costs that I've seen banded about of £100,000 seem absolutely ridiculous.  

Under Fenty we had those massive speakers didn't we, that were taken away because a few people said they were too loud?   I can't imagine we spent that much under the old guard for a sound upgrade.

I think there's so much we can do as a club to generate a better atmosphere without giving a false feeling to it.  The absolute obvious one is the relationship between the pitch and the stands.  If it's high tempo and exciting on the pitch, the crowd respond and vice-versa.  I think a lot of the other things are probably, in theory anyway, a bit easier to 'fix'.

I know Luke's idea about switching home and away ends will always be met with hostility, but if you take away the traditional element it makes perfect sense.  The Pontoon is the most isolated of all the stands, yet it's the one we're naturally expecting the noise and atmosphere to come from.

It dips into the ground capacity and redevelopment argument but I think there's something in moving away from the notion that away fans have their own 'end' too.  A lot of clubs put away fans in side stands and corners because it's better for them, both logistically and in terms of having their own fans behind each goal.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best Away Fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.