Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many new players.....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 124 Guests

How many NEW PLAYERS will start on 5 August
1 (2 votes)
1.77%
2 (1 votes)
0.88%
3 (11 votes)
9.73%
4 (23 votes)
20.35%
5 (24 votes)
21.24%
6 (13 votes)
11.50%
7 or more. (39 votes)
34.51%
113 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

How many new players.....

This thread currently has 2,448 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
May 30, 2023, 4:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,188
Gold Stars: 51
When we start the season on 5th August how many  new players do you think we will field. A new player is one that did not play for us in the 22/23 season.

I will go for 5.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 30, 2023, 6:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +846
Gold Stars: 117
Ive gone for 7 or more mainly because we have much more going on behind the scenes with scouts and the Recruitment Analyst.

There are the obvious positions that need filling but Hurst may look for further in the future by getting in some up-and-coming players that have possibly been released from Premiership Academy teams or from Championship clubs who can play at this level from the off, but would mainly be used on the bench.

Surely it would be better to have back up players contracted to us than having to dip into the loan market and pick players up who are frankly useless.....mentioning no names over the last 2 seasons (mainly because it'd take ages to list them)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
denni266
May 30, 2023, 7:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
I think 5 is a relalistic number , I hope we go for quality rather than quantity this year
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Mappers
May 30, 2023, 7:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
As an alternative perspective we have a solid starting 8 or 9 (if Max stays ) If not a keeper is certain .But starting with that XI that know each other inside out and gradually introducing the newbies might be an option ?

I wonder how many of his 'slots' Hurst will leave until the last minute , sometimes it works ,sometimes it does not ; but he seems to leave room to manoeuvre up until the deadlines .

How he uses loans will be crucial too , we need a higher % of quality loans for me .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Mikey_345
May 30, 2023, 7:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
I think anything less than 7 isn’t feasible to go into the season with. It’s surprising but until you look at the squad you don’t think we need as much as we probably do.

1 back up keepers, maybe 2 keepers if Max doesn’t resign.

A right back, wether it’s ahead of Michee (which I think it should be) or as cover we will need 1 there.

We have 2 centre backs so again 2 minimum for the season as 3 CBS would be dangerously low.

In central midfield we have numbers but probably need something in there aswell to add to what we have or give us something abit different.

We have 1 out and out winger, in addition to Harry doing a job there. So for me that’s 2 wide options.

Then the dreaded striker position, currently just Orsi. So you’d imagine 2 as a minimum.

So that’s 9, presuming Max stays. Granted it’s likely we get a couple that do jobs in more than one position ie CB that can play RB, or a winger that can play across the forward line.

However I think we need a fair amount through in this window to progress us forward. That’s without any departures of current under contract players. Wether all of these are permanent or ‘first team ready’ can be up for debate.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Mappers
May 30, 2023, 8:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345
I think anything less than 7 isn’t feasible to go into the season with. It’s surprising but until you look at the squad you don’t think we need as much as we probably do.

1 back up keepers, maybe 2 keepers if Max doesn’t resign.

A right back, wether it’s ahead of Michee (which I think it should be) or as cover we will need 1 there.

We have 2 centre backs so again 2 minimum for the season as 3 CBS would be dangerously low.

In central midfield we have numbers but probably need something in there aswell to add to what we have or give us something abit different.

We have 1 out and out winger, in addition to Harry doing a job there. So for me that’s 2 wide options.

Then the dreaded striker position, currently just Orsi. So you’d imagine 2 as a minimum.

So that’s 9, presuming Max stays. Granted it’s likely we get a couple that do jobs in more than one position ie CB that can play RB, or a winger that can play across the forward line.

However I think we need a fair amount through in this window to progress us forward. That’s without any departures of current under contract players. Wether all of these are permanent or ‘first team ready’ can be up for debate.

It will be 2 keepers if Max does not sign up I think ,even though Hurst seems reluctant to have one on the bench ,he invariably has 2 in the building most of the time .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Stew0_0
May 30, 2023, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,200
Gold Stars: 35
GK, RB, CB, CM, WNG, ST x 2

7 for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
lukeo
May 30, 2023, 8:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
For me we have a good spine of a squad. If we can bring in 5 players who will improve on what we have then I think we will be up their for sure. But each year everyone bar a small few seem to get stronger. So for me I've written 5.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Mikey_345
May 30, 2023, 9:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from Stew0_0
GK, RB, CB, CM, WNG, ST x 2

7 for me

Is 3 CB’s and 2 wide players enough?

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Mappers
May 30, 2023, 9:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Efete was quite useful in a 3 but assume we will go back to 4 at the back next season - not sure if he can play in a 2 ?
If he could maybe only is  one required ,but if not definately 2 surely .
Will Shaun still be registered as a player or has he retired ,retired ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many new players.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.