3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mallyner
May 25, 2023, 9:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Was it for making the back garden of a house down Manchester Street, sound to be as big as People's park?  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 25, 2023, 10:59am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
I have heard on the grapevine that several inside the club thought Gallimore was the best player at the club when he wasn't drinking. The problem was that he was always drinking.

Another story, maybe apocryphal, is that somebody walked out of BP at the end of the game and walked to the pub only to find Gallimore (who had played 90 minutes) already sat at the bar. I don't recall which pub it was but it was close to the ground!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Maringer
May 25, 2023, 11:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,673
Gold Stars: 189
I have been told by somebody who lived in Humberston that he went for a pint in The Grosvenor immediately after getting back from an evening match, only to find Gallimore already at the bar with a pint. He couldn't work out how Gallimore managed to get there so quickly. It's some years since I heard the tale, but have no reason to doubt the source!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Limerick Mariner
May 25, 2023, 12:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
If anyone has read Drinks All Round - Kevin Drinkell’s book, the drinking culture was certainly there with that very successful side. I was somewhat shocked to learn that several of the team ended up out on a session with GET reporters the night before our first game back in Division 2 for years away at Shrewsbury. Maybe I shouldn’t have been shocked…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
Kris2
May 25, 2023, 2:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Maringer
I seem to think that Handyside lost his licence after parking his car on a roundabout one night and running off. Not a brilliant effort. I also remember seeing him staggering around outside of JD's when he was in the middle of a long injury lay-off. As with Gallimore, both were really good players, but it makes you wonder how much better they could have been with a bit less of the extra-curricular activities.

It's somewhat funny how players from that eras antics are remembered fondly considering what happened later. I guess if you have some success and play at wembley it's sort of funny to remember but when you got relegated the drunken antics aren't so funny anymore. Remember meeting Gallimore in the pub with my dad, I thought it was really cool when I was like 11/12 years old to meet a town player at the pub but when I remember it now he looked a right state.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
supertown
May 25, 2023, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Heisenberg

Nope. It was a driving ban, he decided to ignore it by continuing to drive, so got sent down. Came out early wearing the tag.

We are both right, but his main sentence was for perverting the course of justice , he tried to get someone else to say it was them driving. They also got convicted
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
TownSNAFU5
May 25, 2023, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I always thought that stories about Tony Gallonmore were exaggerated. 😊
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Les Brechin
May 25, 2023, 3:07pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,720
Gold Stars: 174
I can remember one night a long time ago. I had a pool match at the Old Clee Club and when we got there Tommy Widdington, Tony Gallimore and Peter Handyside were there. All had had a skinful but Widdrington was the worst, absolutely hammered. It ended up with them calling a taxi and putting him in it to take him home. At least Widdrington was out injured at the time, unlike Gally and Handyside who had a game a couple of days later.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Maringer
May 25, 2023, 3:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,673
Gold Stars: 189
One of my mates was once drinking whisky with Widdrington in the early hours of a Saturday before a game in the Cleethorpes O'Neills (formerly the Vic). In his defence, he didn't think he was playing that day, but he got called into the squad due to an injury that morning! Long ago enough that I don't recall if he came onto the pitch or was any good, but I remember my friend chuckling about how 'professional' Widdrington had been! Nice chap, apparently.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
grimsby pete
May 25, 2023, 6:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Les Brechin
I can remember one night a long time ago. I had a pool match at the Old Clee Club and when we got there Tommy Widdington, Tony Gallimore and Peter Handyside were there. All had had a skinful but Widdrington was the worst, absolutely hammered. It ended up with them calling a taxi and putting him in it to take him home. At least Widdrington was out injured at the time, unlike Gally and Handyside who had a game a couple of days later.

I used to live a stone's throw from the Old Clee Club Les,

Handyside was always in there and George Higgins never walked in a straight line when leaving to go home.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Chase

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.