Reply: 40 - 51
ginnywings
May 8, 2023, 2:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
11th is pretty good going all things considered. Need to improve by 14 points to be around the play off spots, which is an achievable target for next season.

Msnsfield miss out on a play off spot by 1 goal and they weren't anything special.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
gtfc_chris
May 8, 2023, 3:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
Might well be in the minority but I felt that was a disappointing end to the season. Granted we had nothing to play for but it was right up there with the least entertaining games all season. That again needs the caveat that the whole season hasn't particularly been an endless stream of breathtaking football, but I was hoping for something to leave the fans with a positive memory of 2022/23 as we head into the pre-season.

Great touch to see Shaun given a run-out, a level of sentiment that PH isn't really renowned for which might indicate a level of respect and regard that Pearson is held. A part of me wouldn't have minded Scannell being afforded a similar send-off (perhaps maybe from the bench) but we know PH's prerogative when it comes to wanting to win games.

Sad not to see McAtee receive a send-off at the end. I'm sure there's multiple reasons why he wasn't there (like Luton playing today) but something just seems off towards the end of the season and I can't help but feel his absence is more than just uncontrolled circumstance. Sure I'm wrong and being caught up in the 'Wacca effect' but just a thought that won't escape. We know he won't be here next season but after our faith in him I'd have thought Scannell would have been there too, but I was watching from afar so apologies if he was amongst the group but not seen.

Overall I have no complaints with the season as a whole and think we can consider it a success when all things are considered. The nitpicking above is more disappointment for the build up over the last week and looking forward to our final game and feeling underwhelmed at the final whistle.

Excited now for the summer and venting the frustration here opens the way for optimism for that first game of the season and already looking forward to it coming around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
Heisenberg
May 8, 2023, 3:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from forza ivano
started the season with basically the 2nd worst Town side ever, which had minimal rest, and no time to really plan for Div 2. Continued with record season ticket sales and the a sell out big pay day v. Forest.
Continued with the club's best cup run for 84 years, making a million plus quid in the process.
Finished the season in good form, resulting in the highest placed finish for 17 years

Not bad going I'd say, particularly given the circumstances

You’ve lost me with the “2nd worst town side” comment - what are you talking about?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
ginnywings
May 8, 2023, 3:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Heisenberg

You’ve lost me with the “2nd worst town side” comment - what are you talking about?

Second lowest ever league finish I presume.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
Bogtrotter
May 8, 2023, 3:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +222
Gold Stars: 8
Thought Wimbledon were pants, and you could see why they finished where they did. Bit dirty as well.

D2 wanted to know why their mascot was a rat  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
DB
May 8, 2023, 4:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
I wonder how many fans 2 years ago would have thought immediate promotion from the NL, a quarter final cup run and 11th in EFL League 2.

Pipe dreams do come true.

We are now established in League 2 so why not League 1 in 12 months?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
Bigdog
May 8, 2023, 5:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from DB
I wonder how many fans 2 years ago would have thought immediate promotion from the NL, a quarter final cup run and 11th in EFL League 2.

Pipe dreams do come true.

We are now established in League 2 so why not League 1 in 12 months?

No reason why we can't hope for a promotion push next season. Top three maybe a bit out of reach, but definitely play offs.

Was looking at average attendances in League One in respect of being able to establish us there income wise. Even this season's average, the best for donkey's, would still place us in the bottom third. Selling out every week would only be mid-table. Overall there's been a general shuffle of the bigger EFL clubs starting to fill the Championship, probably only Luton and Rotherham left of any clubs similar to our size with Luton's numbers held back by their stadium.

We can be competitive in League One, but as Lincoln are finding, there's a bit of a glass ceiling appearing and it's lower down the leagues than it used to be.

Establishing ourselves as a League One club over the next few years in our present guise would be a huge achievement and not to be taken for granted. Seems attractive right now and I would be happy with that, but would our fanbase (and income) remain rock solid after five years of established mid-table League One finishes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
chaos33
May 8, 2023, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
We have to modernise to grow and that means new facilities. Do that, and we can strive for L1 with our following, even though there are now at least half a dozen proper big clubs in there every season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
May 8, 2023, 7:05pm
Guest User
That was the most end of the season game I think I’ve ever seen. Still won.

Blatantly obvious that absolutely Everybody on and off the pitch needs a break.

Turn the numerous draws into wins and we’ll be up there without a doubt next season.

Think I said I’d have been happy with 10th and stability at the start of the season. So finishing 11th means this season has been a massive failure I’m afraid 😉
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.