3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Belfast Town
May 4, 2023, 11:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,700
Gold Stars: 19
Amazing achievement. Joined bottom of the Championship Huddersfield in February and tonight beat newly promoted Sheffield United to avoid relegation with a game to spare. Not only that, most of the wins came against teams in the top half of the table.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65407896
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ashby mariner
May 5, 2023, 5:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Amazing achievement. Going in back a few years Warnock and Holloway where my favourite 2 managers out there. I use to think it would be good if one of them ever managed gtfc. I certainly prefer Warnock over that baffon nowadays. I hope he carries on at Huddersfield for another season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
HatTrickHero
May 5, 2023, 7:59am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Hudds also seem to have achieved safety without mad spending, both Reading and Wigan have huge debts and have incurred point deductions and realistically face a bleak future.

With Blackpool the other club to go down we're looking at 3 clubs who have meandered around for years but then had a brief sip of champagne in the Premier and have crashed out and and kept on going downwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
GtfcGarner
May 5, 2023, 8:59am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Absolutely love the guy and don't think we will see another character like him in the league. Heart on his sleeve kind of manager a proud little Yorkshireman - sound familiar?

All jokes apart, what a career he's had and I bet you wouldn't like to be in his dressing room had you been poor for the first 45 minutes. Seems to get the best out of players, and although his football isn't champagne Barcelona stuff, he generally goes into jobs and improves most teams he's been at. Seems to have got a little bit of banter in his latter years also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
Maringer
May 5, 2023, 9:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Whatever you say about Colin and his style, you can't help but admit that he's always been a very capable manager. Eight promotions during his career (so far!) including 3 up into the Premiershite is pretty remarkable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Madeleymariner
May 5, 2023, 9:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Always remember soon after rules came in saying you cant moan about refs in post match interrviews, when asked about a bad ref performance, he said something like: I cant comment on his performance but Alex Ferguson passed me this note after the game (he pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket) and it says the ref is an absolute idiot, or possibly stronger language than that, my memory is fading
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 10:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,475
Gold Stars: 119
I am going to 'A night with Neil ' in a few weeks , quite interested to hear his various stories from up and down the leagues .
He is second on my list of favourite managers after Big Ron Atkinson .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Poojah
May 5, 2023, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Mappers
I am going to 'A night with Neil ' in a few weeks , quite interested to hear his various stories from up and down the leagues .
He is second on my list of favourite managers after Big Ron Atkinson .

Ooh…big Ron. Sort of ruined his legacy a bit though, didn’t he?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 10:57am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Ooh…big Ron. Sort of ruined his legacy a bit though, didn’t he?

Yes a slip of the tongue and he was condemned as an old ignorant racist and never given a chance again .

Although all black players who he had worked with described him as one of the most non- racist people they had met and he had been one of the few who had actually given black players a chance .

He actually made an appearance in a documentary style programme with Barry Fry at Peterborough a few years 'big Ron Manager ' he was an advisor it was comedy gold as you can imagine with him and Fry at the wheel .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 5, 2023, 12:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Mappers

Yes a slip of the tongue and he was condemned as an old ignorant racist and never given a chance again .

Although all black players who he had worked with described him as one of the most non- racist people they had met and he had been one of the few who had actually given black players a chance .

He actually made an appearance in a documentary style programme with Barry Fry at Peterborough a few years 'big Ron Manager ' he was an advisor it was comedy gold as you can imagine with him and Fry at the wheel .

I started to write this post quoting what Atkinson said but was so uncomfortable that I have decided not to. It was not a slip of the tongue at all. It was a flagrant and disgusting racist comment.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 1:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Let's call a spade a spade it was wrong what he said no doubts and you can't condone it , but he made a mistake- only he knows if it was more  .

I ask you though -back then how many people were down the pub saying the same ,worse and calling it 'lads banter '?
I know i heard it .

We live in a world where times have changed some of it for the better ,some worse - it was never right a lot of things were said but people are now left tarnished for something that was said in a completely different time even a relatively short time ago .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Maringer
May 5, 2023, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
He's obviously a man of his time who would have grown up around people using that sort of racist language.

However, the fact that he was almost absent-mindedly muttering it to himself when caught out would tend to indicate his claims of not being even a little bit racist don't hold much water. He apologised, which is something, I suppose, but I was left with the feeling he thought he was hard done by, when it was all entirely of his own making.

That doesn't even consider that the comment before the epithet used was nonsense - I don't recall Desailly being a lazy player, do you? Won the Champions League with two clubs, Serie A a couple of times, World Champion and European Champion with France, voted in the team for the best Premier League players from the first decade of the competition...

He did bloody well if he was lazy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
mariner91
May 5, 2023, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Mappers

You either intend to use that word or you don't. There is no slip of the tongue that allows it to come out because you shouldn't even be contemplating using it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 5:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

You either intend to use that word or you don't. There is no slip of the tongue that allows it to come out because you shouldn't even be contemplating using it.

You are right , but surely everyone deserves the benefit of doubt .

I mean that lad who plays cricket for England Ollie Robinson tweeted some pretty drastic ones about 10 years ago but has been 'rehabillitated ' as the ECB puts it , punished ; banned for a little while and now all is forgotten and he's back playing again,well  - which I think is right btw .

You could argue he was young and naive , but this topic is something the Big Ron generation were equally naive about . I think now people have realised don't say/tweet /post anything you would not say out loud ; I certainly would not .

Neil
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
jamesgtfc
May 5, 2023, 6:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
The weird thing with Ron Atkinson is that a number of black players have gone on record to say that he definitely wasn't racist as a manager. That still doesn't condone what he said, which was wrong on so many levels.

I was listening to Jason Lee the other week describe the impact David Baddiel had on him and the racial connotations of the phrase 'pineapple head'. We have come a long way from that but David Baddiel hasn't been cast aside in the same way Ron Atkinson was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 6:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
The weird thing with Ron Atkinson is that a number of black players have gone on record to say that he definitely wasn't racist as a manager. That still doesn't condone what he said, which was wrong on so many levels.

I was listening to Jason Lee the other week describe the impact David Baddiel had on him and the racial connotations of the phrase 'pineapple head'. We have come a long way from that but David Baddiel hasn't been cast aside in the same way Ron Atkinson was.

That's it James i suppose it becomes a more severe problem when it effects people .

I have always struggled to understand racism tbh i could not care less if someone is black ,white ,orange ,yellow or green - i work with the widest range of race you could imagine and if 'you are my mate ' you are my mate it just does not make a difference - it's not something i had ever thought about really until all the media coverage of BL matter etc over the last few years and I do not understand the point of that really - i assume there were many like me who just did not think about it and then you actually think about the colour of peoples skin because of media campaigns .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Les Brechin
May 5, 2023, 9:11pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,720
Gold Stars: 174
Can't stand the bloke.

Got to admit that he's not been a bad manager in his time though.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
fishcake63
May 5, 2023, 9:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Must admit not a fan of his & never will be & he wont care but hey ho i have to stubbornly admit he done good at huddersfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
diehardmariner
May 6, 2023, 6:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Absolutely love Warnock.

Would loved to have seen him in our dugout.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
TownSNAFU5
May 8, 2023, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Ron Atkinson:  won’t comment on his racist remarks.  I do remember 2 black players that he managed well at WBA.  The late Cyril Regis and Laura Cunningham. Cyril Regis was a popular player in football.  

Laurie Cunningham was very quick and skilful.  Real Madrid bought him.  Sadly, Cunningham died in a car crash in Spain at a young age.

He was the first black player to play for England and the first English player to sign for Real Madrid.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
HertsGTFC
May 8, 2023, 11:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Ron Atkinson:  won’t comment on his racist remarks.  I do remember 2 black players that he managed well at WBA.  The late Cyril Regis and Laura Cunningham. Cyril Regis was a popular player in football.  

Laurie Cunningham was very quick and skilful.  Real Madrid bought him.  Sadly, Cunningham died in a car crash in Spain at a young age.

He was the first black player to play for England and the first English player to sign for Real Madrid.

Add to the list Brendan Batson & Remi Moses. Cunningham was a diamond of a player.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Brazilnut
May 8, 2023, 10:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
Time seems to change things......language  that was once accepted is now a no no .......watched the film Dambusters on Saturday ..... the dogs name and the code word  for the dam going had been changed from Ni66er to trigger  .......if we rewrite the words that was acceptable  THAT WE ALL KNOW ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE then we then stop showing how far we have come and how far we have improved

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
mimma
May 8, 2023, 10:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Sorry, but Viv Anderson was the first, I know because I was at that game at Wembley when he made his debut.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
DB
May 9, 2023, 5:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,053
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Brazilnut
Time seems to change things......language  that was once accepted is now a no no .......watched the film Dambusters on Saturday ..... the dogs name and the code word  for the dam going had been changed from Ni66er to trigger  .......if we rewrite the words that was acceptable  THAT WE ALL KNOW ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE then we then stop showing how far we have come and how far we have improved

Gold star for you. People should learn from History, not change it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
supertown
May 9, 2023, 6:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Brazilnut

It’s more than that, that was the dogs real name and his grave stone was changed in recent years . Crazy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neil Warnock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.