Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You best away game this season?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

You best away game this season?

This thread currently has 2,684 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
April 30, 2023, 9:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Last away game yesterday, so what was your best away day experience of the season. Not just the result, but getting there, food & drink, parking/train etc. And what was you worst as well?

My best - Got to be Southampton, great result, great atmosphere under the floodlights, horrendous journey there but parking wasn't a problem. Made welcome by their officials and fans.

My worst - Bradford (Say no more)

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
April 30, 2023, 9:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Southampton - atmosphere was great before & during, just seemed like you knew everyone there and everyone was up for a decent night whatever happened. Was even better after they had that first goal VAR’d off and town fans smelt blood the longer it went on. Couldn’t have asked for two better goals as you knew they wouldn’t get pulled back for VAR (probably the only scenario where they wouldn’t). Probably got about 4hrs kip that night & was up at 5:45am for a train home but felt like I was walking on air all the way back. Don’t think I’ve had many better.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
GYinScuntland
April 30, 2023, 9:52am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
I'm torn between two and weirdly we stayed at Wetherspoons hotels for both.

Barrow for the stunning scenery on the last part of the train journey around Morecambe Bay and the Furness peninsula.
An old school football ground, some decent backstreet pubs if you hunt them down and the delights of Walney Island just across the bridge from town to clear your head the next morning.

Gillingham once again for the area, we stayed in Rochester which is basically pub city with cobblestone streets and a castle, only five minutes away on the choo choo.
Once again an old school football ground although somewhat spoiled by the twenty year old temporary stand behind the goal.
I'd not been there for many, many years and I don't think they'd painted it since either,  I like stuff like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
Mappers
April 30, 2023, 10:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Southampton was brilliant ,I live down here so went in the home end with a few - it was not a good idea , and luckily they let us go over to the Town end for the second half .

Was a cracking night and good to see loads of town fans about the bars etc , superb at the ground as well was one that will live in the memory for sure .

I thought we had a chance as they are garbage but did not think we would do it , was great the next day to have a couple of Portsmouth fans at work come up and shake my hand they loved it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
grimps
April 30, 2023, 10:15am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
Gold Stars: 46
I only managed two games this season due to living overseas so my only away game was Leyton Orient.
I’ve been there 3 times and it’s always a good day out but after seeing Macca going off after 3 minutes I just had that feeling that it wasn’t going to quite be the season we had hoped for.

I’d have loved to have been at Southampton as I stayed up late  to watch it and got through 3 vapes and all my finger nails
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
Poojah
April 30, 2023, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,880
Gold Stars: 1,523
Southampton was just phenomenal, the result speaks for itself but the atmosphere for once didn’t just live up to expectation, it blew it out of the water. Realistically our biggest cup result since Spurs 2006 and biggest away cup result since Liverpool 2001, and arguably bigger than both those two when you consider the magnitude of the tie it led to. A special, special night in Southampton.

Enjoyed the weekend in Brighton too, but less so the game itself. It was as good as over the moment VAR decided not to send Sanchez off (a decision I still disagree with). The scenes at the end though were special; watching the players just standing there, looking back at the Town fans going nuts in the away end off the back of a 5-0 defeat. It choked me up a bit, I have to admit.

In the league, Walsall away was my first game having missed the start of the season on holiday. That was the first time I had attended a Town match in the EFL since that strange old day at Scunny some two and a half years earlier, and Harry’s second-half winning brace followed by a curry in Birmingham after the game capped it off nicely. Regrettably, I think it will be a while before I take in an EFL game at Glanford Park again, if ever.

There have some been frustrating days, too. Watching us gift Hartlepool 3 points on a plate after being in the ascendency and watching Harrogate snatch a scrappy late win from the vantage of the home terrace was both frustrating and awkward, as I momentarily allowed the mask to slip.

Hoping for more good days than bad next season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
Davec
April 30, 2023, 10:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Haven't been to ws many away games this season as I would normally like to but I did do Luton Southampton and Brighton among with others, against Luton we battled back well despite having no fit players hardly! But Southampton was magnificent, absolutely fantastic and Brighton was a great weekend despite the result!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
LH
April 30, 2023, 10:27am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Southampton is one of my greatest ever let alone this season. Beating a top tier team at theirs but also making it to the FA Cup QFs as a reward would be difficult to top anyway but I think the atmosphere was probably one the best I’ve stood in too. I walked away from the ground in absolute disbelief at what had happened. Incredible.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
crusty ole pie
April 30, 2023, 10:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
Rochdale for me treat like human beings great weather made so welcome at the cricket club they were so grateful for us  filling theirs tills
Southampton followed by Brighton coming me a close 2nd and 3rd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
The Caterham Mariner
April 30, 2023, 11:03am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +103
Gold Stars: 8
Northampton for me as a league game
Luton FA Cup run (away)to be topped off by Southampton FA Cup ..midweek match fantastic turnout from Town fans making plenty of noise.
Then of Course the Brighton FA Cup game you would not have missed  it for all the tea in China just to say " I was there too!"

The lows - Gillingham / Swindon "Get up Ref what you playing at", Oops he's off!!
UTM 2023/24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You best away game this season?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.