17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2023, 6:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,019
Gold Stars: 232
I would imagine that a few players that come in for next season would be recognisable to some posters in name only and less posters would have an understanding of what kind of player they are.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 163
ginnywings
April 29, 2023, 6:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Most of our team today played at National League level last season.

Well yeah, but that's irrelevant to my point. They did the job they were brought in to do, and most haven't made the step up, but we are now looking at what is to come, not what has been.

It's obvious we went up quicker than imagined and got caught out a bit with some who haven't made the grade, but were under contract.

Next season will be different, but my point is that we will sign some players who we've not really heard of who will turn out to be better than we thought. Bit like Lloyd, whose signing wasn't met with universal approval.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 163
ginnywings
April 29, 2023, 6:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from arryarryarry

He also signs some crap players and players he hardly picks.

As does every manager, but not every fan is as miserable and negative as you are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 163
GollyGTFC
April 29, 2023, 6:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,068
Gold Stars: 359
First league game of next season we need 6, 7 or maybe 8 players making their debuts.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 133 - 163
MuddyWaters
April 29, 2023, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,290
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Well yeah, but that's irrelevant to my point. They did the job they were brought in to do, and most haven't made the step up, but we are now looking at what is to come, not what has been.

It's obvious we went up quicker than imagined and got caught out a bit with some who haven't made the grade, but were under contract.

Next season will be different, but my point is that we will sign some players who we've not really heard of who will turn out to be better than we thought. Bit like Lloyd, whose signing wasn't met with universal approval.

We’ve had two windows since promotion yet 9 out of the starting 11 today played non league last season. It’s relevant. As someone else mentioned, we need at least 6 or 7 debutants at the end of July as most of this lot aren’t going to progress us.
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 163
ginnywings
April 29, 2023, 7:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We’ve had two windows since promotion yet 9 out of the starting 11 today played non league last season. It’s relevant. As someone else mentioned, we need at least 6 or 7 debutants at the end of July as most of this lot aren’t going to progress us.

It's not relevant. It's the past and it happened and I'm talking about what's to come, not constantly banging on about what we should have done.

The reasons we ended up with a majority non league squad in the EFL are well documented. We couldn't just boot them all out because they did the almost impossible and got us promoted ahead of when we all thought it would happen.

12th in the EFL league 2 with a non league team aint bad is it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 163
mimma
April 29, 2023, 8:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
It seems that some on here want promotion every season and if we don't get it we are rubbish. They Don't seem to understand that you sometimes have to pause and take stock and rebuild. As others have said we went up and then didn't have the time pre season because of the world Cup.
It's going to be interesting to see what we come up with given that we have a proper summer break and a little extra to spend because of our cup exploits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 163
It Bites
April 29, 2023, 8:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
I think just establishing ourselves as a league 2 Club that hovers around the play offs / top 3 for the next 2 seasons is a good start . I certainly don't want to be looking at the bottom half of league 2 any more . I'm a fan of 43 years and have seen the good times so perhaps I'm biased
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 163
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2023, 8:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,019
Gold Stars: 232
I don’t expect us to get promoted next season but I’m expecting us to be a bit more aggressive, hold and pass the ball like professional footballers should do and win some more games at home.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 163
MuddyWaters
April 29, 2023, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,290
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mimma
It seems that some on here want promotion every season and if we don't get it we are rubbish. They Don't seem to understand that you sometimes have to pause and take stock and rebuild. As others have said we went up and then didn't have the time pre season because of the world Cup.
It's going to be interesting to see what we come up with given that we have a proper summer break and a little extra to spend because of our cup exploits.

The argument isn’t black or white.

I’ll put it in a different context. Our two main contenders for Player of the Year were here when we were relegated. Not one signing from last summer has even been mentioned when it comes to Player of the Year. Yes, the promoted team has done a great job but the continuous improvement will come from new additions not what we’ve got now.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 163
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Stevenage

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.