6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
April 19, 2023, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Hasn't really had a chance, those chances he's had have proven he's got ability but is not ready for men's football, he still plays at an U21s game pace

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
TownSNAFU5
April 19, 2023, 3:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
You can’t expect £600 million of new talent (plus extortionate wages and endless contracts) at Chelsea to put in crosses that beat the first man.  

Pointless exercise  anyway.  Chelsea only have one striker/bad striker and they loaned him out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
Bigdog
April 19, 2023, 3:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair on him, not many 18 year olds are ready for first team football. You get the odd exception here and there (Ryan Bennett notably for us), but most don't really come into their own until they are 20-odd.

I'm not sure that's right. Most EFL players that make their debuts in their teens and hold down a regular place seem to make a good living out the game. On the other hand, the majority that don't cut it in their teens rarely make the grade when they're older and drift out of the professional game. Odd exceptions, but seems that way to me over the years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
Mayaman
April 19, 2023, 3:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Felt sorry for him one game. (can't remember who against)  Ha da defender to beat a challenge came in and both went to ground, he got up and would have been on goal if Taylor hadn't nipped in and slot it home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
moosey_club
April 19, 2023, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,315
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Yan89

On a side note, had a soft spot for Grimsby since I got sacked by North End on Football Manager a few years ago during my first season and managed to take you to the Prem with Ryan Ledson as captain. James McKeown, Sebastian Ring, Luke Hendrie, Mattie Pollock, Harry Clifton and Dembele made us a strong side to begin with.

As I’ve said, here’s hoping you have a strong end to the season and a good year ahead

Must say full respect to you, getting a promotion with Seb Ring in your squad is an outstanding achievement 👏

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
Maringer
April 19, 2023, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm not sure that's right. Most EFL players that make their debuts in their teens and hold down a regular place seem to make a good living out the game. On the other hand, the majority that don't cut it in their teens rarely make the grade when they're older and drift out of the professional game. Odd exceptions, but seems that way to me over the years..

Harry Clifton was closer to 20 than 19 when he made his League debut for us. Jack Lester scored his first League goal (for Donny) when he was a few days shy of his 20th birthday.

Both some of the better players over the past few decades and weren't really near holding down a first team place until they were around 20 years old.

If a youngster hasn't played much by the time they are 21, I'm wary, but if they aren't doing much at the age of 18 or 19, I'm never that concerned. Khouri now into his 20s and the performance last night shows he might have a bit to offer. He seemed very lightweight when he played the odd game over the last couple of seasons.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
blundellpork
April 19, 2023, 5:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
So many recent loanees from higher divisions have decent technical ability, but look far too ponderous and it’s clear they are used to a slower academy style of football. I’m not at all convinced by the U23’s and academy model as higher division clubs sweep up players when in reality they would develop far better getting men’s football at a much lower level, then working their way back up the divisions.

That said, why would a young player join a lowly club on peanuts, when they can join a more prestigious club with better facilities and pay. In the long run, I’d argue they been short sighted, but you can’t blame them at all. Most of us would do the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
jonnyboy82
April 19, 2023, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Don't wanna sound negative but seen nothing in him to suggest hes ready for league football at all.

Definitely someone we won't be interested in going forward hopefully,  sorry if this is harsh but the lad has done nothing since being here.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
HertsGTFC
April 19, 2023, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Players like O’Neal are the reason we need a proper reserve league structure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
diehardmariner
April 20, 2023, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Players like O’Neal are the reason we need a proper reserve league structure.

Couldn't agree more.

It needs to go hand in hand with a stop to the hoovering up and stockpiling of talent by the bigger clubs too, which is clearly just trickling down the leagues.

Premier League 2, Academy football, whatever you want to call it simply isn't enough for players to develop suitably in.  You only need to look at the EFL Cup to see that these supposed elite youngsters get smashed about in a way they're just not used to.  3 or 4 games a  season against seasoned pros isn't going to be enough to aid the much needed wake up calls needed.  

We're no longer in a reserve league because the club said there wasn't enough teams in it and it became a glorified youth team fixture anyway.  I do understand the clubs reluctance to play players in these reserve fixtures because they don't want to to pick up injuries but I suspect it's also because there's little value in experienced fringe players running the risk of a knock by playing against kids.  If the fixtures weren't dominated by Academy kids, would managers be more prepared to run the risk of knocks to keep players ticking over?

The more we loan lads like O'Neill the more I think I favour more of a limit on the loan lads you can have in a season.  It's too easy to loan someone from the Academy of Preston, Derby, Stoke, Birmingham to fill a place on the bench.  They don't get much from it, we don't get anything and it's pretty much a waste of time.  I'd rather have Essel or Braithwaite getting the odd appearance from the bench than O'Neill or Dickson-Peters.  I've nothing against the loan market and it can and has worked for us with the likes of Smith, Lloyd et al.  But it's the loaning of lads just to fill a slot on the bench I don't like and I think that comes because the option is there to do so, almost a bit of a lazy option.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mikey O’Neill

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.