Tommy
March 25, 2023, 9:02pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Just a few thoughts of mine from today:

1) our long throws are shite. Don't think we've ever created a chance from one have we? Is it worth persisting with them?

2) similar to Wednesday night, we played with a good tempo and intensity. No problems with our work rate and we are trying to play on the front foot, both in and out of possession.

3) I think whilst this formation can leave us quite solid and can be useful to sit deep and counter attack when we don't have as much possession, I think we're actually quite one-dimensional with it when attacking in general. Our full backs aren't quite comfortable enough on the ball and neither could put a decent cross in today despite numerous opportunities. With no wingers in front of them in this system, the crosses come from them and that needs to improve (was shocked Emmanuel didn't come on 2nd half too). I think the back 5 has served a purpose but now that we've got everyone fit again, I think we could afford to go 4231 again. We might have got rid of some wingers but Clifton, Khan, Emmanuel and Scannell could all play the wider roles in the 3.

4) my favourite noise of the day: "GREEENYYS!!!" every time the ball went within 5 yards of him.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
March 25, 2023, 9:11pm
Guest User
Quite entertaining, flew out of the blocks and the first 20 minutes was as good as I’ve seen.

We tend to let teams drag us down to their level. And so it went. 22 shots only 4 of which were on target suggests why we aren’t scoring.

Thought the ref was ok. A touch of Mike Dean about him.

1-1 fair enough. Not going to lose my sh1t about this like so many have. We’ll be up there next season.
Reply: 21 - 44
March 25, 2023, 9:12pm
Guest User
Oh point about the long throw ins, they’d work if we had someone to flick them on. Seem to be regularly playing against giant centre halves.
Reply: 22 - 44
TAGG
March 25, 2023, 9:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from paramariner
Shocked that there's hardly any mention of how dire the Ref was today.  I know it's become expected at almost every game, but that guy today was abysmal

He wasn't to bad, seen a lot worse.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
toontown
March 25, 2023, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Spurn boy
I found today’s game got increasingly frustrating the longer it went on, we played so well and deserved the goal even if the corner kick was poor. After we had scored we just got so nervous and started playing like a different team and think the players just eased off. Poor play from Amos to concede the corner that resulted in their goal and from that moment they gained confidence. Not sure about our formation as 3 up front causes a bit of confusion between them and maybe replacing Taylor with Hunt or Clifton with 20 minutes to go might have been an option. Disappointed with some of Mcatee’s decision making today and Efete was so good but so bad at the same time. Both Green and Morris joint MOM for me but I’m disappointed with the result as I thought 3 points was coming our way when we scored. UTM

It was Morris that conceded the corner they scored from, not Amos. Other than that Morris was excellent today, as good as I can remember, my motm.

Amos was blowing out his bottom by the end and I would have liked to see Orsi come on for taylor at some point too. Surprising and disappointing lack of subs again.

I mentioned the lack of quality width with this formation when we're on top and this was the perfect example - Amos with loads of opportunities to cross but did nowt every time. Efete was poor with the ball going forward, as usual in that position.

We were so on top with possession first 30 odd mins but even then our attack didn't score. We defo need a rethink up front invthe summer. Mcatee did some really good work with his skill, then some really poor decision making too. Taylor has to get on the end of the cross from lloyd in my opinion. Forbthe first time lloyd was getting some joy out the ref for being fouled by the big lad marking him.

Defensively we were massively panicky at corners it seemed, pretty comfortable otherwise.

Their keeper stayed on cos smith stayed up, if he'd gone to ground the ref would probably have sent him. Maher could have been sent off for his studs showing foul though.

A pretty entertaining game, I enjoyed it, a really good example why we aren't higher upbthe league tho. Pretty mediocre opposition who we dominated possession against and peppered shots in but couldn't score more than 1.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
Mariner16
March 25, 2023, 10:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
Take it not many saw the deliberate elbow on Efete from Monthe whilst he was lying on the ground? In front of the lino!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
pen penfras
March 26, 2023, 9:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 140381
Oh point about the long throw ins, they’d work if we had someone to flick them on. Seem to be regularly playing against giant centre halves.

It's nothing to do with giant defenders. The ball never gets as far as our first player. It's usually cleared by a defender with no challenge. Surely the players must realise that Maher can't throw it to the penalty spot so why stand that far away?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
Stew0_0
March 26, 2023, 9:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Unfortunately the last 2 games, where we should have won both effectively end our faint hopes of a late play off push.
Hurst stated that the lack of subs was to keep as many taller players on the field to counter-act their set pieces but sometimes I would like to see Paul be a bit braver and go for the win. Clifton and Hunt should have been added to try to make things happen and maybe Holohan should have started today and be rested for Crawley.

Another of our frustrating home performances where the opposition stays in the game as long as possible to steal points off us late on. A trend that's happened all season. We need to put teams to bed when we are on top.

We move on to Crawley with a hope for 3 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
toontown
March 26, 2023, 10:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Oh yeah also, despite having decent numbers (400+) Walsall were probably the quietest away crowd at BP this season, no vocal support from them at all really. Oddly quiet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2023, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,290
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Stew0_0
Unfortunately the last 2 games, where we should have won both effectively end our faint hopes of a late play off push.
Hurst stated that the lack of subs was to keep as many taller players on the field to counter-act their set pieces but sometimes I would like to see Paul be a bit braver and go for the win. Clifton and Hunt should have been added to try to make things happen and maybe Holohan should have started today and be rested for Crawley.

Another of our frustrating home performances where the opposition stays in the game as long as possible to steal points off us late on. A trend that's happened all season. We need to put teams to bed when we are on top.

We move on to Crawley with a hope for 3 points

I agree.

Surely the best way to stop the opposition using ‘land of the giants’ tactics is to keep the ball better and move the game further up the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.