9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
March 22, 2023, 9:08am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
With McAtee I think we're better without him at the moment.

There's no denying his obvious technical talent and is why Luton have paid to secure his services. They also see that he still has some work to do for his development and if the reports are accurate then he'll be loaned out again next season to continue that.

The reason I think we're better off without him is he seems to take everything so personally on the pitch. In one sense that is what endears him to fans, we can see that he cares and we can see the effort and hard work he puts in, I'd like to think no fan would dispute that.

But the downside to that is he makes rash decisions and he loses his head when things don't go right, which hasn't been uncommon this season. He plays as though he's shouldering the burden of success and that he has a standard to uphold following last season.

The step up has made games more challenging and it hasn't been as easy for him to hit the heights he did last year, not helped by an injury to himself and then to Taylor who he links well with. I wonder how much he wants to justify the faith that has been place in him by Luton, to repeat the personal feats of last season for us and maybe even feels the pressure of his younger brother playing at the level he does. Whichever of those might apply (if any at all) I think it stems from caring greatly about his profession which is highly commendable.

I don't for one second think JM is a poor player who should be sitting out because he isn't talented enough, he's our most talented player by far on an individual level. But if he seems to be feeling some pressure or whatever it is that seems to be affecting his play - as PH seems to have alluded to in recent press conferences - then it's better for both him and the team to take a spell out and get some stability after a very busy period.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
Mappers
March 22, 2023, 9:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,507
Gold Stars: 120
8 pages in ...
Not a bad option off the bench is he ?
Wouldnt be suprised if 9 and 10 are when hes bagged one or two at Mansfield or against Walsall
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
Mappers
March 22, 2023, 10:00am
Champagne Drinker
Play Lloyd and Orsi for 45
Just say go all out
Then bring Taylor and Mcatee on for the second 45
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
Maringer
March 22, 2023, 10:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
To be brutally honest, I wouldn't have Orsi near the starting line-up. He's put in one or two decent performances all season, didn't kick on after his good showing against Luton, and I just don't think he's the answer. I'd be surprised if he was with us next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
arryarryarry
March 22, 2023, 12:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Maringer
To be brutally honest, I wouldn't have Orsi near the starting line-up. He's put in one or two decent performances all season, didn't kick on after his good showing against Luton, and I just don't think he's the answer. I'd be surprised if he was with us next season.

Similar thoughts here, was surprised he started with him if I'm honest.

Overall I enjoyed the day, the trip down and back, wandering around the stadium, the atmosphere, I was sitting in their main stand and the Town fans sounded great to me.

I wasn't surprised by the way Paul Hurst set the team up to try to stop them scoring, I didn't expect him to start with Orsi and Khan as they really aren't the best for trying to hold the ball up.

I didn't expect anything other than quite a heavy defeat but was disappointed with the goals we conceded as most of them came from poor defending with the first from a poor save by Crocombe and God knows what Waterfall was doing for their 5th trying to play the ball out.

Still I'm glad to say I was there.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
diehardmariner
March 22, 2023, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Maringer

To be fair to Orsi, after the Luton replay he came off the bench at half-time against Colchester when everyone was crap, got 14 minutes in the defeat at Gillingham and got hauled off at half-time away at Northampton when he wasn't the only one who didn't do much in a drab first half where we didn't seem to suit the system we played.  

That's the league anyway, next round of the cup he absolutely ran his heart out at Southampton.    He was ineffective against Brighton but he was totally isolated up there against very good players, there's chasing shadows and there's that.  

I thought he was bought as a fox-in-the-box type and Hurst described him as the most natural finisher we've got at the club.  Yet every time I've seen him played it's as either a No 9. or he's sent out to make a nuisance of himself.  

Truth be told, I don't think he'll make it here.  He just doesn't fit into our system and style, especially with the way Hurst likes to approach games.  But the lad has been thrown crumbs of opportunities, he's only managed more than 60 minutes once for us (Salford at home, where he did brilliantly to set McAtee away for Khan's goal)
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
Bigdog
March 22, 2023, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The Brighton game identified which of our players showed glimpses of being able to cope physically or mentally with a step up in class, not Brighton's class, but a step up. There were five of them, maybe six, and McAtee was definitely one of them..

The others..

Maher
Smith
Efete
Clifton
Glennon

Green's presence was also missed second half..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
MuddyWaters
March 22, 2023, 3:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer

He works incredibly hard, in the same way George Lloyd does, but I’m afraid to say he’s miles away from Lloyd in terms of football ability.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
Mappers
March 22, 2023, 4:00pm
Champagne Drinker
I would have him here next season as 5th choice striker rather than one of these kids on loan from a team higher up eho isnt physically ready  ,at least we know what we get from Orsi
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
Mappers
March 22, 2023, 4:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Lloyd ,Taylor ,Orsi and then 2 other quality players up top would be a decent set .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.