MarinerDevil
March 20, 2023, 7:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from LH
Saw a few Brighton fans moaning on Twitter about our fans chucking the mosaic cards and elastic bands on the pitch. It was like giving 4600 arsonists matches wasn’t it?

Re: the card throwing, watching it on TV was pretty cringeworthy. Obviously we shouldn't be throwing missiles onto the pitch, but Jonathan Pearce made it seem like we were chucking semtex at the Brighton players in one of the worst pieces of football hooliganism this side of 1990. It was almost like he'd been forced to be nice to us for 60 minutes and this had finally given him the excuse to treat us like the knuckle-draggers he assumed we were.

Anyway, I thought the overall coverage was pretty good from the BBC. The pre-match stuff was great and gave us some positive exposure. Hopefully when we're eventually back on TV we'll be able to compete with some of the big boys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2023, 8:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Re: the card throwing, watching it on TV was pretty cringeworthy. Obviously we shouldn't be throwing missiles onto the pitch, but Jonathan Pearce made it seem like we were chucking semtex at the Brighton players in one of the worst pieces of football hooliganism this side of 1990. It was almost like he'd been forced to be nice to us for 60 minutes and this had finally given him the excuse to treat us like the knuckle-draggers he assumed we were.

Anyway, I thought the overall coverage was pretty good from the BBC. The pre-match stuff was great and gave us some positive exposure. Hopefully when we're eventually back on TV we'll be able to compete with some of the big boys.

I’m really surprised at Jonathan Pearce has he’s generally pretty good and has a great knowledge of the game at all levels.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
LH
March 20, 2023, 9:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m really surprised at Jonathan Pearce has he’s generally pretty good and has a great knowledge of the game at all levels.

I’m not. He’s possibly the biggest drama queen to ever be given a commentary mic.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
Rodley Mariner
March 20, 2023, 9:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Yeah he loves a bit of mock outrage and indignation. Wasn't it him commentating on Argentina Vs Netherlands in the World Cup and clutching his pearls saying they were scenes nobody wanted to see while the rest of the world were absolutely loving it?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
Sid the Seagull
March 20, 2023, 10:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +85
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from forza ivano

Agree totally. Regarding the atmosphere,  I wonder if its thr stadium? No problem with the mouse created by us at cambridge, luton and southampton. Also consider that we could hardly hear them and I thing it might be the stadium

It is the stadium! Strange acoustics at the Amex, we often get into heated debates about which side of the ground was singing the most and making most noise because one stand can't really hear the other. I was in the home end behind the other goal and it was bouncing all afternoon, non stop singing etc. And from that end you couldn't really hear a lot from the Grimsby fans despite the fact I could see they were jumping up and down and going for it. I disagree that there wasn't enough grit and muscle on the pitch, the match didn't need that. It was clear from kick off that Grimsby wanted to play the best football they could and I think you have to give credit to your lads for actually coming down and doing that instead of resorting to clogging our players off the park. When the game was won at 4-0 you actually started playing some decent stuff, getting forward more and caused us a few problems. You certainly didn't disgrace yourselves and looked far better than League 2 or even League 1. I have to agree with the general dislike for scripted songs and music at the end though, I guess its an age thing cause the kids seem to love it?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
grimps
March 21, 2023, 5:56am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,164
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mayaman
Was a bit anticlimactic for me.   I watched it in a bar which also had the Arsenal match (didn't think about that) on, so there was no commentary.  Would have been in Vietnamese, anyway.  Often showed shots of the fans who seemed not to be singing but I have since seen and heard clips since that showed we still were in good voice.  As far as the game was concerned was a little disappointed.  Expected to lose but expected more of a fight.  We didn't even show them a bit of league two physicality apart from Michee jumping through a bloke. Not sure why JM didn't start. That was his sort of game.  Was glad when PH made changes early but wish we'd tried route one once Taylor was on.  Maybe they'd have got one or two on the break but we achieved nothing tyring to play football as admirable as it is.   Still it put us on the map for a while, which we need to build on. Let's hope we can get some momentum in the league.

Same for me to be honest
I watched in a bar in Dubai with a few other Mariners and a few others and found the game really boring to watch .
Maybe if their keeper had gone off it might have turned into a proper cup tie but I thought Brighton never had to break into a sweat .
That said everyone I spoke to that went to Brighton seemed to have a great time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
diehardmariner
March 22, 2023, 2:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Atmosphere wise I'm very much in the camp that it was affected by the number of 'day trippers'.

Was a young family in front of me (I presume it was Mum, Dad, Grandad and a collection of 5 kids, I dunno probably their kids and nephews etc. all under the age of five.) with very Southern accents.   Kitted out in brand new Town kits, only surprise was the tags still not on and absolutely no idea what was going on.  Mum just jabbing her Harry Haddock in the air to whatever song she had in her head, needless to say it was not the song everyone else had.

Kids lasted 10 minutes before laying down either on the seats, underneath the seats, over Dad's shoulder.  Couldn't help notice the screensaver on Dad's phone when he got it out for the 100th time in the first half....his kids in full Arsenal kits.  

Always, always be an element of those who come along for the ride and manage to pick up tickets from ST holders who can't make it.  I know it's very judgmental of me, but flipping hell it doesn't feel right when genuine fans who are there week-in-week-out, or at least take more than a passing interest in the club, miss out at their expense.

Others have explained with the atmosphere at Southampton worked better, same I'm sure tonight at Mansfield.  It's a case of a collective with similar views, thoughts and intentions for the 90 minutes who are all huddled together in a small space.  Brighton was just a mish-mash.  

Glad I went, can't say I massively enjoyed it.  We were schooled from the first minute, but there was just a gulf in class. Lost count of the fans around me who were screaming 'Get into them' as if players who are literally tearing arseholes in the Premier League are going to stand static as one of our players clatters them.  You saw the massive difference in class when Walcott and Ward-Prowse came on against Southampton.  The movement, the pace, the speed they move the ball...it was all streets ahead of us.  You can multiply that by about a million to get to where Brighton are.

The result was disappointing and I don't think we deserved 5-0.  Outplayed yes, but we were never hanging on for dear life.  

Dunno what the Park and Ride was like but for those moaning about the train system back to Brighton, considering it dealt with a 30,000 crowd on a Sunday evening, I thought it did quite well.  Can you imagine the queue for the 9X if we somehow shoved that many people into Blundell Park?

Oh and if I never see the M25 again it'll be too soon.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
Madeleymariner
March 22, 2023, 4:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Was really proud of us getting this far, but what disappointed me watching on telly was the inability of any of our players to pass a ball accurately 10yrds when not under any great pressure, even if it was against far superior players. Lots of effort, hard work and likely expected result but we really need to add more tech skill to the team for next season as shown in our inability to break down a lot of teams at home this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
MuddyWaters
March 22, 2023, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Was really proud of us getting this far, but what disappointed me watching on telly was the inability of any of our players to pass a ball accurately 10yrds when not under any great pressure, even if it was against far superior players. Lots of effort, hard work and likely expected result but we really need to add more tech skill to the team for next season as shown in our inability to break down a lot of teams at home this season.

Bizarrely, we passed it better in the second half but opened ourselves up to the counter attack. The game plan was to stifle for as long as possible and then open the game up.

Watching the game closely, what was most telling was how close to the ground their passing was.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
TheFryingSquad
March 22, 2023, 6:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
All this stuff about ‘day trippers’ ‘glory hunters’ etc, I just don’t get it.  Surely season ticket holders (and no I’m not one) have bought the right to have first dibs at tickets for big games?  I get that as an exile and just accept that the club has to reward those that pays their money upfront.  I assume that 1 season ticket = 1 ticket for the big games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.