1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Mappers
March 12, 2023, 9:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
If we continue the current fair at home but are succesful will fans be happy ?

In a couple of interviews Hurst has alluded to signing bigger players for it ,which I think would maybe mean a consistently more direct approach .
Logged Offline
Private Message
thefish
March 12, 2023, 9:06am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Mappers

In a couple of interviews Hurst has alluded to signing bigger players for it ,which I think would maybe mean a consistently more direct approach .

Personally, I don’t mind a more ‘direct’ approach* if we have the correct sort of players to play it. Currently, we are often lumping it up to players who are weak in the air (unless Taylor comes on).

*especially if we mix it up and play some passing football- it can keep the opposition guessing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
HertsGTFC
March 12, 2023, 9:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mappers

He’s also said he wants the team to play out so I would imagine it will be a case of utilising what you have to work with come August. We saw last season with Cropper that Hurst is pragmatic, I think he’ll look for more athleticism and physicality as well as few taller lads.

Could be argued that yesterday’s winner was direct.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
March 12, 2023, 9:46am
Guest User
I don't believe it makes sense to view football styles in "either/or" terms.

Let's say you can play direct football, lumping it long to a tall forward who's strong in the air or a passing game, playing out from the
back and making incremental progress up the pitch.

Whichever you might choose (this will often depend on the players available) you need to do the 'other' style from time to time to keep the
opposition's defence 'honest'.

If the opponents know you'll play direct for 90 minutes, they won't think twice about selecting a couple of slow-ish 6' 6" centre-backs.

Equally, if you're completely wedded to the passing game, it allows the opposition defenders lots of time to align in their preferred
defensive shape and look around to ensure no attacker is unmarked.

I'm sure the OP isn't suggesting we go all out in any particular style btw, just offering my thoughts.

For Town this season, we can't (successfully) play direct without Taylor in the side - and our passing game is (to put it kindly)
usually more miss than hit. Counterattacking away from home has brought us the most success.

El General knows all this and will sort it...
Reply: 3 - 9
marinerjase
March 12, 2023, 11:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
As much as it hasn’t been great to watch, especially at home - do feel these are very unique circumstances and some consideration to that should be made.

A very short pre season due to ‘unexpected’ success, your talisman gets injured literally a minute into the season and is out for months, and your ‘target’ man also out for months. Yes..we haven’t/struggled to replace..that discussion we’ve had many a time…but also need to remember up until around late October we were in a better position table wise than since Xmas, and the cup run/postponed games etc has lead to something like 14 games in 40 odd days. That impacts planning, selection, fitness, strategy, and limited training.

We’d have settled for staying in the league before it started, we’d have fallen over and been taken for a check up if someone had said FA Cup Quarter final…

We’ve got league safety, massive unexpected windfall financially, national exposure on TV..it’s not all bad you know…

That said..pitch..squad strengthening pre season important - will need to see us kick on next season league wise and look to be top end. The way the team play I don’t feel is a big an issue as some are saying - as the aforementioned reasons contribute - but I get a lot of folk aren’t happy watching it, but also feel it won’t be same next season.

UTM

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
ginnywings
March 12, 2023, 1:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Bigger players can also be better footballers. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Think we need a bit more physicality and definitely more creativity. The better managers get the balance right and PH seemed to manage it at Shrewsbury, who are about the same size club we are, albeit in a higher division.

It'll be a fight and a slog to get out of League 2, but I'm hopeful we can have a good go at it next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
The Caterham Mariner
March 12, 2023, 1:40pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +103
Gold Stars: 8
Crikey !!!
Thinking about next season, Hhhmmm I walk away from this one and take the dog for a walk.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
Limerick Mariner
March 12, 2023, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
We'll have Wrexham (bucket loads of cash) and probably Notts (consistently spending beyond their means in seems) to compete with, I'd like Stockport and Bradford to go up because they are also big spenders. At the moment we aren't losing any big spenders if the top 3 stay the same - which shows you don't have to be one, but it certainly helps. I don't rate Parkinson at all but I can't see anything but a massive spending spree by Wrexham and very likely another promotion. Notts are an impressive footballing side rid of Burchnall, who was out thought by PH, and will probably be well-suited for the higher level. It's very tough - we need to be the next Carlisle and make BP a nasty place to come to for visiting teams...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
mimma
March 12, 2023, 3:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
We have more cash to spend in the summer thanks to our cup run. Expect better players on more money. Then we can start to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
toontown
March 12, 2023, 5:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
We'll have Wrexham (bucket loads of cash) and probably Notts (consistently spending beyond their means in seems) to compete with, I'd like Stockport and Bradford to go up because they are also big spenders. At the moment we aren't losing any big spenders if the top 3 stay the same - which shows you don't have to be one, but it certainly helps. I don't rate Parkinson at all but I can't see anything but a massive spending spree by Wrexham and very likely another promotion. Notts are an impressive footballing side rid of Burchnall, who was out thought by PH, and will probably be well-suited for the higher level. It's very tough - we need to be the next Carlisle and make BP a nasty place to come to for visiting teams...

Yeah that's how I look at it too. Fingers crossed for a Stockport promotion to get them out our division and ideally Wrexham or notts mess it up in the playoffs (altho I'd be torn if it was notts as its such a good awayday)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.