8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
March 10, 2023, 3:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Picking son up from School now, grass is totally fine. How our pitch has become so bad is really concerning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
RichMariner
March 10, 2023, 4:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 211
Our pitch isn't great but I think standards have risen a lot over the last couple of decades.

We've all seen the state of the pitches that football used to be played on!

That game v Sunderland in December 1993... it's laughable now that they even kicked off! Times have changed a lot in the 30 years that have followed.

Officials are more inclined to postpone games if there's just one boggy patch. If a small area is still frozen? Game off. Even though it'll likely thaw by 3pm.

So it works both ways. Our pitch has been much worse but standards to get games on are higher than they've ever been.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
supertown
March 10, 2023, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53

The roots of lawn / playing field grasses certainly don't grow deep - just a couple of inches which is why they are easy to dig up and suffer from drought easily.

I agree though it should be better next season once it settles down and has some more remedial work done in the close season.

A wet winter? I can only judge it by the golf course and it has been shut 1 day so far . Usually shut lots more than that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
It Bites
March 10, 2023, 5:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from supertown

A wet winter? I can only judge it by the golf course and it has been shut 1 day so far . Usually shut lots more than that

It's been dry since mid January.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
crusty ole pie
March 10, 2023, 11:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
11.25 and thee temp is minus 2.5 c
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
HertsGTFC
March 11, 2023, 8:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Anyone local got any thoughts on whether we’re on or off this afternoon?

Still travelling up for the game so fingers crossed.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
Jarmo.Is.God
March 11, 2023, 8:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Anyone local got any thoughts on whether we’re on or off this afternoon?

Still travelling up for the game so fingers crossed.

It's been frosty overnight, but sun is out, so hopefully clears it! I'm assuming they've requested inspection because of the expected frost
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
HertsGTFC
March 11, 2023, 8:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

It's been frosty overnight, but sun is out, so hopefully clears it! I'm assuming they've requested inspection because of the expected frost

👍

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
Lincspoacher
March 11, 2023, 9:35am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +302
Gold Stars: 15
I have no axe to grind with the current groundsman.

However, sadly, time will eventually show that he doesn’t know what he is doing or maybe he just isn’t that good a groundsman. Bit harsh some may say and what is this based on?

Well, he was the groundsman for quite a few years at London Road, Louth and frankly, the football and cricket pitches went from being the best in the county (they were newly laid at a significant cost) to being just like BP looks.

Lots of dead and bald patches, awful flooding and the similarities are too much to ignore.

Look at the old footage of our pitch under previous ground staff, much better and in worse weather conditions.

He  has all the certificates I know - but is not performing at the moment.

Would be calling it out if it was a player and so saying it for another member of staff as their role is key.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
MuddyWaters
March 11, 2023, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincspoacher
I have no axe to grind with the current groundsman.

However, sadly, time will eventually show that he doesn’t know what he is doing or maybe he just isn’t that good a groundsman. Bit harsh some may say and what is this based on?

Well, he was the groundsman for quite a few years at London Road, Louth and frankly, the football and cricket pitches went from being the best in the county (they were newly laid at a significant cost) to being just like BP looks.

Lots of dead and bald patches, awful flooding and the similarities are too much to ignore.

Look at the old footage of our pitch under previous ground staff, much better and in worse weather conditions.

He  has all the certificates I know - but is not performing at the moment.

Would be calling it out if it was a player and so saying it for another member of staff as their role is key.

Agree wholeheartedly - Mike Phillips did a terrific job for years, mostly with far less investment.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Blundell Park pitch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.