Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
AussieMariner and 274 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 6,987 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
March 8, 2023, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from lukeo

It's all about opinions isn't it... I don't rate Khan myself

Strange opinion that, i really rate him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
GrimPol
March 8, 2023, 8:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from DB

2 penalties, a FA cup quarter Final and a trip to Brighton, plus a few £100K in the bank.

To move forward you must separate the Myth/Legend from Reality. I too was taken up with the euphoria of the Southampton win, because the score on the door says we outplayed them, and thrashed them 2-1.  However, we all know deep down it was Southampton 1    VAR 2. I'm still enjoying it, what game eh, still wearing my "we thrashed them " hat, still got my Harry Haddock pumped up, but I'm wearing my Reality Hat on for Carislse and Newport. We didn't play well. Simple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
acko338
March 8, 2023, 8:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
We have players who struggle to trap a ball, and know where their team mates will be stood in the preferred formation of the night.

Basics - aim the ball towards a team mate, preferrably to allow a forward movement not having to check a run or turn backwards to receive. Ban the ball going above head height in training and use the full width of any pitch. Remember that Lloyd is well under 6 feet tall, and play passes at ground level for him to run onto at pace. Defend the back post at corners, more chance of stopping shots than losing opponent runs. Play Hunt in centre midfield and have an enforcer like Morris or Green (when fit) to protect him while he passes out to players.

Poor disjointed hoof / boot / head tennis type of game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
mariner91
March 8, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,770
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from lukeo

It's all about opinions isn't it... I don't rate Khan myself

It's all about opinions. But this one is wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
lew chaterleys lover
March 8, 2023, 9:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,780
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimPol

To move forward you must separate the Myth/Legend from Reality. I too was taken up with the euphoria of the Southampton win, because the score on the door says we outplayed them, and thrashed them 2-1.  However, we all know deep down it was Southampton 1    VAR 2. I'm still enjoying it, what game eh, still wearing my "we thrashed them " hat, still got my Harry Haddock pumped up, but I'm wearing my Reality Hat on for Carislse and Newport. We didn't play well. Simple.

If it wasn't for the cup run Hurst would be facing some difficult questions, let's be honest about it.

The style of play, the transfer policy,  the terrible home results and performances and the inability of the team to get on the front foot and give the crowd something to get behind.

The cup run has kept interest going and it has been great, but I think a lot of fans would be completely fed up by now otherwise.

Regardless of whatever happens at Brighton a big re think is needed in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
HertsGTFC
March 8, 2023, 9:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
I think that as some of our better players become match fit (Including Khan) we should move back to 4 at the back.

Also as the schedule is hectic especially next week with 2 trips South I'd would be giving the players today and tomorrow off.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
OddShapedBalls
March 8, 2023, 9:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
I'm taking the zen approach of another point gained, 13 clear of relegation with games in hand etc and only 1 loss in the last 6 games in all competitions........

However, leaving my Japanese peace garden for a moment I have to agree with the rest of you- if the dire football was winning lots of games we couldn't complain, but as it's generally resulting in us losing or scraping draws at home we may as well try and play it Buckleyish and at least entertain the fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
mariner91
March 8, 2023, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,770
Gold Stars: 262
Crawley's complete capitulation has helped ease the relegation worries. They'd need to average a point a game just to catch us now and they've managed 5 points in their last 10. Rochdale have also managed 5 points from 10 games and have even fewer games to catch us.

However, the squad needs quite a lot of surgery in the summer. We haven't got anywhere near enough pace. We haven't got anywhere near players who are comfortable on the ball. And we've got virtually no creativity. Midfield needs a rethink and we desperately need three or four good attacking players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
HertsGTFC
March 8, 2023, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from mariner91
Crawley's complete capitulation has helped ease the relegation worries. They'd need to average a point a game just to catch us now and they've managed 5 points in their last 10. Rochdale have also managed 5 points from 10 games and have even fewer games to catch us.

However, the squad needs quite a lot of surgery in the summer. We haven't got anywhere near enough pace. We haven't got anywhere near players who are comfortable on the ball. And we've got virtually no creativity. Midfield needs a rethink and we desperately need three or four good attacking players.

No disrespect to Ollie Battersby but we also need an experienced keeper to put Max under a bit of gentle pressure. The inability to pass the ball is my biggest frustration, potentially we will have healthy budget so I'm optimistic.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
marinerjase
March 8, 2023, 9:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Think there has to be an acknowledgement of amount of games, limited training etc - certainly at the moment anyway - and it impacts on energy levels, mentally etc.

That said the points about lack of pace, physicality and creativity are spot on- and have been apparent for a long time.

Whilst this squad and prior have had an amazing 12 months, and rightly recognised and applauded, if we are to progress there does need to be changes made for next season. I’m sure there will be.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.