moosey_club
March 5, 2023, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Les Brechin

I haven't checked but I'd doubt we've ever played 14 games in a month. That'd be like a game almost every 2 days for the entire month.

Ah but Les...most legends and myths grow legs over the years....
I have already heard a stretched version of the figures from Wednesday night, Tommy Turgoose of all people speaking on Talksport this morning..."to have 5000 fans make a 600 mile round trip on a Wednesday night"  😂

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
aldi_01
March 6, 2023, 6:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from moosey_club

Ah but Les...most legends and myths grow legs over the years....
I have already heard a stretched version of the figures from Wednesday night, Tommy Turgoose of all people speaking on Talksport this morning..."to have 5000 fans make a 600 mile round trip on a Wednesday night"  😂

Typical football fan rounding up…

Braintree and Wrexham in the playoffs are always a favourite of mine. Proper Spike Island stuff. I even had a lad tell me he was at Braintree even though he’s posted holiday snaps on his social media from the very day we played Braintree…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
grimps
March 6, 2023, 7:53am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from aldi_01

Braintree and Wrexham in the playoffs are always a favourite of mine. Proper Spike Island stuff. I even had a lad tell me he was at Braintree even though he’s posted holiday snaps on his social media from the very day we played Braintree…

Yeah we do have some notorious Bullsh1tters when it comes to attendances at historical games ..
Liverpool away springs to mind were I've seen up to 20000 ( including 5000 singing Mariners in the Kop)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Abdul19
March 6, 2023, 9:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Reminds me of the time I went to Old Trafford in '39

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Poojah
March 6, 2023, 10:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,877
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from aldi_01

I’m happy to admit that I wasn’t at Braintree, and I regret it. I felt so deflated after the home leg, I just couldn’t face what felt like another inevitable play-off failure.

I’d been at Newport, and Gateshead, and Wembley the year before and I just couldn’t face it this time. We were so poor in the game at BP, I was convinced fate had it in for us - even if the players somehow turned up, the officials would just screw us over anyway.

I almost didn’t even watch it on TV, that’s how fed up I felt going into the game. It was only when my wife, who hates football and hates the amount of time and energy I put into following Town (but puts up with it anyway), brought my then baby son downstairs in his little mini Town kit in an attempt to lift my spirits, that I decided to watch it. The rest is history.

All in all, probably my biggest regret following Town that I missed that game; it was just a reflection of how utterly depressed I was about the club at that particular moment.

That said, I feel privileged to have been at Meadow Lane and the Racecourse. Games that will live forever in the memory. The kind of matches I’ve bought season tickets for years for without ever getting much by way of return. Even then, I know I was lucky to get a ticket when plenty of other eligible people weren’t able to. I don’t think I’ll witness anything quite like either game, ever again.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Theimperialcoroner
March 7, 2023, 9:26am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from Poojah

I’m happy to admit that I wasn’t at Braintree, and I regret it. I felt so deflated after the home leg, I just couldn’t face what felt like another inevitable play-off failure.

I’d been at Newport, and Gateshead, and Wembley the year before and I just couldn’t face it this time. We were so poor in the game at BP, I was convinced fate had it in for us - even if the players somehow turned up, the officials would just screw us over anyway.

I almost didn’t even watch it on TV, that’s how fed up I felt going into the game. It was only when my wife, who hates football and hates the amount of time and energy I put into following Town (but puts up with it anyway), brought my then baby son downstairs in his little mini Town kit in an attempt to lift my spirits, that I decided to watch it. The rest is history.

All in all, probably my biggest regret following Town that I missed that game; it was just a reflection of how utterly depressed I was about the club at that particular moment.

That said, I feel privileged to have been at Meadow Lane and the Racecourse. Games that will live forever in the memory. The kind of matches I’ve bought season tickets for years for without ever getting much by way of return. Even then, I know I was lucky to get a ticket when plenty of other eligible people weren’t able to. I don’t think I’ll witness anything quite like either game, ever again.

Me too Poojah, I was reffing a cup final in Grantham and didn’t feel I could turn it down. Bloody wish I had though, was in the bar afterwards as we played  last 30 mins. Bloody awful not being there.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
OddShapedBalls
March 7, 2023, 4:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from LN8Mariner

In Buckley’s back to back promotion seasons we played 14 matches (in total) in March, won 13 and drew 1 (if I remember correctly) so if we can recreate that form… 😂

I would happily take 13 wins and a draw from 9 games, we can sell the extra points to Chelsea

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
LN8Mariner
March 7, 2023, 6:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

I haven't checked but I'd doubt we've ever played 14 games in a month. That'd be like a game almost every 2 days for the entire month.

You’re right but I’m not sure I said that either   “In the back to back… in total…” so whilst I was not totally clear I was inferring over the course of two years. Apologies if my not wanting to write it longer caused confusion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
TownSNAFU5
March 7, 2023, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
The weather at that cup game in 1908 was atrocious. Then when I eventually got home on the trolley bus, BT Sports had not recorded the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › March

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.