Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Big game player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
March 3, 2023, 10:51am
Guest User
Genuine personality too. A character for all the right reasons. Which is a novelty for us.
Reply: 11 - 25
Mayaman
March 3, 2023, 10:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
I've written elsewhere about how important Gav is to this team but very much related...

My wife is new to watching football and Town (we've not been married long) and as we walked away from St Mary's I was trying to explain what the difference is between this team and other Town teams over the years. One of the things I said was that they never give up.

She became very animated and said she could completely see that. She could see how much they wanted it against Southampton and in other games and how they work as a team.

In the past I have written in several places (especially here) about how I could forgive our players many things if they just fought for the club and didn't give in. Previous teams made me so bloody angry with how they didn't give a sh*t and just capitulated.

With this team I have my wish.

UTFM

You could see the in young Khouri. We all make mistakes but the big question is, how are we gonna rectify them?  A lot of Town players do that.  Last week against the O's ,  Waterfall mis-controlled it but then put in three tackles in a row to reagin possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
ginnywings
March 3, 2023, 11:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah
Easy to forget that this time last year, most of us had never heard of Gavan Holohan. I certainly hadn’t. Then, one quiet Tuesday evening on 22nd March 2022, his signing is announced somewhat out of the blue.

I thought it looked a decent signing at the time, but wow, what an impact he’s had. What a year he’s had. So many memorable, and vitally important moments.

That rocket against Chesterfield that set the tone for our renewed form. The winner against Stockport. THAT goal at Meadow Lane. Where would we be without that goal? And now, those two goals against Premier League Southampton, cool as fúck under huge pressure, fresh off the back of Glennon’s missed pen at the weekend.

Putting to one side done patchy league form, our squad is full of heroes at the minute. Players who you can attribute moments that will live forever in the memory. Players who exhibit the kind of values we have sorely missed for too long.

Slowly but surely, this team is repairing the image off this club, and changing the narrative of what it means to be a Grimsby Town player.

You can’t help but feel anything but proud at the minute, can you?

Not forgetting his goal at Luton, which came from a corner that he forced to keeper to concede with a great shot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 3, 2023, 12:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Mayaman

You could see the in young Khouri. We all make mistakes but the big question is, how are we gonna rectify them?  A lot of Town players do that.  Last week against the O's ,  Waterfall mis-controlled it but then put in three tackles in a row to reagin possession.

Yes. You see it in a lot of them..

Michee often looks like he's digging a hole as he battles to get the ball
You almost know instinctively that Waterfall will win the ball, it's a surprise when he doesn't
Glennon gets beaten and turns round with his head down sprinting to get back at the guy who's beaten him
Gav runs bloody miles, box to box, doing the hard yards. There's no wonder he looks as fit as a butcher's dog.
At Southampton I thought that Hunt was much more combative and that's not really what he's there for.
Taylor and Macca need nothing more said about them but we always need reminding that Macca is a lazy bast*rd who doesn't give a f*ck

It's right through the team.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Abdul19
March 3, 2023, 12:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,617
Gold Stars: 220
I thought Holohan might struggle this season, purely on the basis that Hartlepool were happy to let him leave. However, they're clearly bonkers! Seems a top bloke too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Chrisblor
March 3, 2023, 1:24pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,971
Gold Stars: 242
I've written elsewhere about how important Gav is to this team but very much related...

My wife is new to watching football and Town (we've not been married long) and as we walked away from St Mary's I was trying to explain what the difference is between this team and other Town teams over the years. One of the things I said was that they never give up.

She became very animated and said she could completely see that. She could see how much they wanted it against Southampton and in other games and how they work as a team.

In the past I have written in several places (especially here) about how I could forgive our players many things if they just fought for the club and didn't give in. Previous teams made me so bloody angry with how they didn't give a sh*t and just capitulated.

With this team I have my wish.

UTFM

Yeah some of us moan a lot about Hurst's approach to recruitment (i'm 100% guilty of it), but his insistence on only signing players who are committed and fit into the squad's battling ethos absolutely paid off on Wednesday night.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2023, 2:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,020
Gold Stars: 232
Gav is a good player with a great attitude and you could see from his post match ATV interview he’s happy at Town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
March 3, 2023, 3:06pm
Guest User
Yes. You see it in a lot of them..

Michee often looks like he's digging a hole as he battles to get the ball
You almost know instinctively that Waterfall will win the ball, it's a surprise when he doesn't
Glennon gets beaten and turns round with his head down sprinting to get back at the guy who's beaten him
Gav runs bloody miles, box to box, doing the hard yards. There's no wonder he looks as fit as a butcher's dog.
At Southampton I thought that Hunt was much more combative and that's not really what he's there for.
Taylor and Macca need nothing more said about them but we always need reminding that Macca is a lazy bast*rd who doesn't give a f*ck

It's right through the team.

Plus a goal every 5 league (NL/L2) games for both us and Hartlepool. (And a few Cup goals thrown in for good measure...)
Reply: 18 - 25
Spurn boy
March 3, 2023, 7:12pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from bradzmilne
He will go down as a Grimsby Town cult hero.

The scorer of many an important goal and can strike a ball as well as anyone at this level.

Hartlepool must have had a serious midfield for him to have been surplus to requirements!

You can say the same about Hull City, Gav was a City player and apart from coming on as a sub in a minor cup competition never made an appearance for them. Thankfully he is a Town player and hopefully he will be here for a few years.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gav Holohan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.