Hagrid
February 21, 2023, 9:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,521
Gold Stars: 544
Lots of effort. Very little quality.
Had the chances, Maher’s header, one from Mcatee that he dragged wide, taylors at the end, Holohans bizarre choice to pass and not shoot.

Harrogate were limited and came for a point, and got it.
We tried, but against a team that sits back we seem to run out of ideas quickly and arent quick or skillful enough to break them down.

Felt we deserved 3 points on account of being the only side who wanted to win the game but we’ve probably gotta do more.

Taylor made a huge difference and if only he was fit from the start.
Crowd as flat as ever tonight, but our home form is poor and to get 5000+ on a tuesday night is good going
Logged Online
Private Message
Theimperialcoroner
February 21, 2023, 10:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Boils my urine when in games like this where they do everything to slow the game down and the refs essentially do nothing to stop it. Could be stopped in an instant with a couple of cautions.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 104
pontoonlew
February 21, 2023, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Glennon & McAtee had good games but too many players were way off the pace.

We are absolutely shite to watch at BP this season and it’s a real concern for me, you almost expect every home game to be boring and it’s more of a surprise when it isn’t.

The positive is 4 points from 2 games and comfortably rooted into mid table. As I’ve just said on another thread, I want to at least be entertained and that was certainly not it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 104
Withnail
February 21, 2023, 10:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
As Hagrid said lots of huff and puff but little quality. Had a few chances but Harrogate did a job on us.

Am I disappointed not to win? Yes. Would I have taken 4 points from the last two games? Hell, yes, I'd have bitten your bloody hand off.

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 104
Abdul19
February 21, 2023, 10:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Highlight for me (Clive) was Mikey O'Reilly's introduction.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 104
MuddyWaters
February 21, 2023, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Positives?

We didn’t lose.
More minutes for Taylor who made an impact.
A bit more quality when Hunt replaced Morris.

Negatives?

Same old home form. Same excrement atmosphere.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 104
forza ivano
February 21, 2023, 10:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
thought Glennon, Efete and Emmanuel were the stand outs with Waterfall & Mcatee having solid games.
Bit too ponderous in midfield for me, with Holohan and Morris never really dominating things.
Think we miss Khan's pace and trickery - nobody else ,apart from Emmanuel, carries that threat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 104
ginnywings
February 21, 2023, 10:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Another steaming turd of a game. If the object of the game was to waste as much time as possible, Harrogate would be top of the league. They took no risks whatsoever and started to run down the clock from minute one.

Going to BP this season drudgery.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 104
immariner
February 21, 2023, 10:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Despite the severe lack.of quality on final ball, did enough to win the game. Taylor chance at the end summed it up. A frustrating watch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 104
Kris2
February 21, 2023, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136

Really should have won on balance but lacked enough quality apart from a header at the end that could have gone in but for a good save. They played for a draw away and got it, midfield was sluggish and couldn't get into the game. Hunt and that mop head kid didn't do much better when they came on, would have preferred Clifton stay on as he's the kind of player you need against a physical side. Lloyd couldn't get into the game as that giant hunchback defender dragged him all over the place, Taylor didn't have much time to get into the game but seemed to cope better with being dragged all over. The ref was a bit of a mystery, seemed to want to let the game flow but ignored some clear fouls when there was no advantage of any kind. Apart from a 10 minute spell in the first half when they looked bright, Harrogate rarely threatened and sat back looking to slow the game down. Not enough pressing or taking advantage of a quick throw, our players stood still like statues and the player throwing the ball just looked confused for 30 seconds while all their players got back. The only time we passed the ball around on the deck was in front of our own goal and as soon as the ball moved anywhere else up in the air it went for some head tennis.

We didn't lose but it would have been a surprise if we did tbh, not good enough at home again.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 104
moosey_club
February 21, 2023, 10:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Felt we had control for last 20 minutes of first half and the complete second half...possession and even territory stats for that period must be off the charts...

But....

only really resulted In their keeping making two saves of note, one from Hunts shot one from Taylors header....quite telling that they both came on as subs at around 70 mins ??

Prior to that slow to get forward but when we did break through the crossing was awful.

Things to improve,
1. How to use the ball at throw ins as that was fking embarrassing tonight, at least 6 times second half just turning the ball straight over when in the final third.
2. How to cross a ball
3. Staggered runs into the box when the ball is about to be cut back
4. Morris

Turned up full of anticipation, had that sucked out of me by half time and my only surprise was that we didn't actually concede a late goal on the counter.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 104
ginnywings
February 21, 2023, 10:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from moosey_club
Felt we had control for last 20 minutes of first half and the complete second half...possession and even territory stats for that period must be off the charts...

But....

only really resulted In their keeping making two saves of note, one from Hunts shot one from Taylors header....quite telling that they both came on as subs at around 70 mins ??

Prior to that slow to get forward but when we did break through the crossing was awful.

Things to improve,
1. How to use the ball at throw ins as that was fking embarrassing tonight, at least 6 times second half just turning the ball straight over when in the final third.
2. How to cross a ball
3. Staggered runs into the box when the ball is about to be cut back
4. Morris

Turned up full of anticipation, had that sucked out of me by half time and my only surprise was that we didn't actually concede a late goal on the counter.

Agree on the crossing. Dreadful apart from the Emmanuel one that Taylor should have buried.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 104
GhostDan
February 21, 2023, 10:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Harrogate came with absolutely no interest in playing football which is fine, but we played completely into their hands by playing with little to no urgency at all from the off, incredibly slow and ponderous with the ball.

On another night we probably score early and go on to win comfortably, but we didn’t and we rarely do at home.  Apart from the FA cup games, I’m personally finding it a real chore to drag myself to BP this season with the entertainment that is on offer - not just from us but majority of other teams who come with no interest in playing.

Onwards and upwards, in Hurst we trust.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 104
MANCMARINER
February 21, 2023, 10:29pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from ginnywings

Agree on the crossing. Dreadful apart from the Emmanuel one that Taylor should have buried.

Classic example of this was in the 2nd half when Glennon made a fantastic surging run into the final third and then scuffed a cross straight to their defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 104
Heisenberg
February 21, 2023, 10:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Abdul19
Highlight for me (Clive) was Mikey O'Reilly's introduction.

I couldn’t believe that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 104
Mariner_501
February 21, 2023, 10:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Emmanuel is the best right back in the league. His burst of pace when he looks stuck is incredible.

Don’t see what Morris brings that Hunt doesn’t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 104
rancido
February 21, 2023, 10:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 102
I just couldn't understand why we persisted with attacking down the right when Glennon time and again had loads of space on the left. I lost count the number of times he didn't have a Harrogate player wasn't within 25 -30 yds of him but we still kept pushing the right side.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 104
moosey_club
February 21, 2023, 10:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_501
Emmanuel is the best right back in the league. His burst of pace when he looks stuck is incredible.

Slow, innacurate , non progressive passing maybe?

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 104
Bogtrotter
February 21, 2023, 10:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +222
Gold Stars: 8
First game in ages, didn't think we were that bad but I'm no expert. Thought that 99ft tall Harrogate defender #34 kept them in the game in the 1st half, not just the one he headed over but on a couple of other occasions. Could have been a different result if he wasn't there.

Second half was obviously frustrating because we dominated play but didn't capitalise on that.

Took D2 to her first ever Mariners game and she enjoyed it so that was a positive. She wore my lucky 98 Wembley double top, but it didn't bring the usual luck, not that I can wear it anymore because I'm a fat git.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 104
toontown
February 21, 2023, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mariner_501

Several inches of height is what seems to be getting him the nod.

Morris is a decent player but his concentration is a bit poor, makes some silly errors he really shouldn't be making.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 104
toontown
February 21, 2023, 11:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Have to say the atmosphere tonight was absolutely urine poor, so quiet throughout. As everyone has been saying though the quality and entertainment wasn't there, we absolutely must get better at opening up teams that park the bus, it really is a painfully obvious weakness. Lots of effort but not quite enough quality.

I assume clifton was subbed cos Hurst thought O'Neil would offer more in a tightly packed, well defended box but it didn't work out, I think cliftons linking with mcatee was more likely to result in something personally.

Our home record continues to be dreadfully poor and resolving that has to be right at the top of next seasons solution list if we are to be a promotion force.

Ah well we didn't lose and nudged another point into midtable comfort.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 104
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 21, 2023, 11:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Not sure why we bothered making the trip over tonight as me and the lad said exactly how the game would go albeit we expected Harrogate to have at least one shot on target and score a late winner.

Said after the Colchester game that we just aren’t good enough in midfield to create anything against these sides with seven foot central defenders and we have no pace to get the opposition turning. Morris for me just helps the ball on and regularly gave it away and has no pace. Holohan flatters to deceive and too many occasions let’s the ball run away from him and loses possession and thought Clifton grafted but seemed to be playing in the old inside forward position and looked a little lost but in fairness with only a diminutive Lloyd to play off it certainly wasn’t easy.

Hard to keep motivating yourself to keep attending this season but I suppose it’s the fear of missing that classic match which makes it all worthwhile, hopefully it will be Saturday and we turn Orient over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 104
TAGG
February 21, 2023, 11:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Thought all the lads gave there all against a side that came for the draw.
Very frustrating that there was no quality in all our endeavors.
I think we will see a better game on Saturday when the the lads come up against a side that keep it down and play football.
End of the day it's another point so onwards and upwards.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 104
Norseman
February 22, 2023, 12:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Run out of things to say how poor we are at home .Thankfully we win some away games .Good job they sold 5800 season tickets though or crowds would be below 4000 with the rubbish displayed at home this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 104
lukeo
February 22, 2023, 5:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,418
Gold Stars: 149
If we'd have scored 1 or 2 of the chances we had noone would be complaining.
We dominated the game from around the 25th minute mark to full time. My only criticism is at times I feel like we need to penetrate quicker and faster, but not to the extreme of how the main stand felt. Could quite clearly hear on the radio the frustration when we passed sideways or backwards, when there's no other option on sometimes that has to happen and that was the case most of the time.
4 points from 2 games. 2 games in which our performances was above average and deserved atleast the 4 points we got. Motm for me is Emmanuel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 104
GtfcGarner
February 22, 2023, 6:50am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Frustrating evening, but we aren’t too far off being a decent team. We do need to have a good summer in terms of recruitment I believe as for all the industrial quality we have in the middle I don’t believe we have someone who takes a game by the scruff of its neck and can totally dominate games and made the killer passes.

Highly likely we won’t have McAtee back on loan next year and Emmanuel might have his suitors from L1.. I’m frustrated but first year back in the league having an assessment of your squad who can make the step up and who is a passenger shows Hursty a few who he can’t afford to carry next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 104
February 22, 2023, 8:14am
Guest User
All fart and no poo.
Reply: 26 - 104
Maringer
February 22, 2023, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
Harrogate had a game plan and stuck to it effectively enough to keep us out. They were well-organised with some hard-running and mobile forwards. They put a lot of effort into chasing us down and trying to get the ball forward quickly, in the first half especially. Oddly enough, this was when we played our best stuff and got into some good positions, winning a load of corners which came to nothing. Unfortunately, a really good reaction save from Maher's flick header from one of these and one or two poor crosses into the box meant we couldn't capitalise. They defended the second ball really well, it must be said.

Half-time let them reset and we never really got going properly after that. They ran out of steam for the final quarter of the game but we were lacking in ideas and wasted the chances when we got the ball into the box. On several occasions, Glennon and Maher got the ball in advanced positions, but the final cross either wasn't good enough or the forwards took the wrong option and we didn't test their keeper enough. Taylor made a big difference, I thought, as the ball stopped coming straight back, but unfortunately their keeper made a very good save from his one chance.

Like others, I'm less than convinced by our midfield. Morris wasn't great last night (especially disappointing as he started the season so well), but Hunt didn't do much more when he came on and the defensive part of his game is noticeably weaker than our other midfielders. Holohan did OK, I thought, but no idea why he tried a pass to O'Neill when he broke into the box. There was a defender ahead of him but plenty of room for a shot. As for O'Neill, he buzzed around ineffectively, showed one or two good touches but ultimately had little effect on the game. He's not ready for first team football yet in my opinion, though I realise he is still very young. If Khan had been fit, I think we'd have won last night. The squad is just a couple of players short of being one which could reach the play-offs, but that's where we've been all season.

Will be interesting to see how we do against Orient at the weekend as you'd expect them to come here to try and win, and we tend to better in that sort of a game - providing we defend well enough, that is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 104
Son of Cod
February 22, 2023, 8:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from lukeo
If we'd have scored 1 or 2 of the chances we had noone would be complaining.
We dominated the game from around the 25th minute mark to full time. My only criticism is at times I feel like we need to penetrate quicker and faster, but not to the extreme of how the main stand felt. Could quite clearly hear on the radio the frustration when we passed sideways or backwards, when there's no other option on sometimes that has to happen and that was the case most of the time.
4 points from 2 games. 2 games in which our performances was above average and deserved atleast the 4 points we got. Motm for me is Emmanuel.

Yeah I'm not sure why everyone is talking about how slow we were last night, that was one of the highest tempos we've played at all season. We were on the front foot for most of the match. Bossed Harrogate from start to finish and didn't give them a sniff. If we stick the ball in the back of the net then we're sat here saying that was one of our best performances this season, in my opinion.

The frustrating parts are that that is ultimately what counts and that we couldn't create a little more to break them down. I think what we can be criticised for last night was a reluctance to pull the trigger along with several instances in which we played the ball back when we could have crossed.

I don't get the criticism of the midfield at all, they were first to everything and did a decent job at bringing the ball forward. Morris getting lots of stick but without Green charging around winning the ball back and sweeping up in front of the defence then we need to keep hold of it more and that's what Morris brings.

For all the McAtee bashers who have seemingly missed his impressive performances this season, that was another one on the list. Comfortably MOTM for me. Great to see him going right until the end too. Shame he couldn't find the bottom corner in the first half after a lovely interchange between Gav and Clifton. Seems to have really got a taste for shooting from range lately after that Crewe goal and I reckon we'll see him bag another banger before long. Be nice if that's the winner at St Mary's next week!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 104
golfer
February 22, 2023, 8:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Can't remember Morris making a pass to one of our players. The only chance Harrogate had was when Morris had the ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 104
gtfc_chris
February 22, 2023, 8:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
I thought the performance overall was one of our more controlled ones of the season. I know that fans seems to hate the ball being played across the back but equally bemoan the ball going long and get angered when we fail playing Man City-esque football through the thirds. That comes down to whether you understand why we pass the ball.

I thought Emmanual and Glennon were great and by far our most likely provider of any goal that we might have scored. Defensively solid for pretty much the whole game and I can't remember Crocombe ever actually having a shot to save but could be wrong.

The passing generally was good but the problem I thought we had was trying to connect the midfield to forward line through the middle. They had a very good block that kept us going wide and then dealing with the crosses that came in. The few chances we did get through the middle were more half chances from range and nothing that got us through into an area that you'd expect finishes.

Particularly liked in the second half how Maher managed to twice get right to the byline for a cross, not something we've seen yet in this back three but would love that to become a regular thing, having him and Efete (who gets forward a little more regular) offer an overload to give us an advantage.

The score I think was pretty justified, even if I thought the performance was controlled and fairly pleasing in how we played generally, the quality of chances wasn't great and so you'd be asking for something special. The few decent ones were well saved and credit their keeper for that.

Only source of frustration for me is developing in Morris. He has moments where he'll do something really positive and spark a breakaway or a key pass, but then follow that up with a few poor touches or passes. I don't think he's poor by any stretch but if it were me picking the team I'd be considering giving Hunt an extended run in that setup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 104
Son of Cod
February 22, 2023, 9:00am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Can't remember Morris making a pass to one of our players. The only chance Harrogate had was when Morris had the ball

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily saying he kept hold of the ball particularly well last night but that's why he's in the side as his passing accuracy over the season has been the second best we have after Hunt and he offers more experience and a bit more steel than Hunt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2023, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,786
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer
Harrogate had a game plan and stuck to it effectively enough to keep us out. They were well-organised with some hard-running and mobile forwards. They put a lot of effort into chasing us down and trying to get the ball forward quickly, in the first half especially. Oddly enough, this was when we played our best stuff and got into some good positions, winning a load of corners which came to nothing. Unfortunately, a really good reaction save from Maher's flick header from one of these and one or two poor crosses into the box meant we couldn't capitalise. They defended the second ball really well, it must be said.

Half-time let them reset and we never really got going properly after that. They ran out of steam for the final quarter of the game but we were lacking in ideas and wasted the chances when we got the ball into the box. On several occasions, Glennon and Maher got the ball in advanced positions, but the final cross either wasn't good enough or the forwards took the wrong option and we didn't test their keeper enough. Taylor made a big difference, I thought, as the ball stopped coming straight back, but unfortunately their keeper made a very good save from his one chance.

Like others, I'm less than convinced by our midfield. Morris wasn't great last night (especially disappointing as he started the season so well), but Hunt didn't do much more when he came on and the defensive part of his game is noticeably weaker than our other midfielders. Holohan did OK, I thought, but no idea why he tried a pass to O'Neill when he broke into the box. There was a defender ahead of him but plenty of room for a shot. As for O'Neill, he buzzed around ineffectively, showed one or two good touches but ultimately had little effect on the game. He's not ready for first team football yet in my opinion, though I realise he is still very young. If Khan had been fit, I think we'd have won last night. The squad is just a couple of players short of being one which could reach the play-offs, but that's where we've been all season.

Will be interesting to see how we do against Orient at the weekend as you'd expect them to come here to try and win, and we tend to better in that sort of a game - providing we defend well enough, that is.

Regarding O'Neill and all the other young loanees from Premier league and Championship clubs we have tried, it's obvious they have a lot of ability but are not ready for league 2. Being in top class acadamies doesn't seem to be the recipe for what we need.

I think we would do better looking at the leagues below, and getting players who are used to scrapping and making their ability count. I hope next season if we go into the loan market we make our priority seasoned pros who have fallen out of favour rather than untried youngsters.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 104
Maringer
February 22, 2023, 9:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
I think you've probably got more chance with 20/21 year olds from Premier/Championship clubs. 18 or 19 feels a bit young to me these days, especially as the Academy teams play Academy teams with few of the grizzled older pros that youngsters used to face in the reserve games in the past. Hurst has been very critical about the fitness levels of the young players who come on loan as well.

Although these youngsters may have more skill than the lower division footballers they face, the physicality is on a different level these days and there are few teenagers who can cope with men's football, though there are obviously exceptions here and there.

Something which I hope Hurst considers during the next transfer window. It's OK having a youngster as the third choice off the bench, but it's difficult if you're relying on them as the first option to try and change the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 104
Les Brechin
February 22, 2023, 12:20pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
Rubbish game but both Hartlepool and Rochdale lost at home last night so another point further away from them but we do need to learn how to see these teams off.

Having said that I still can't believe that Oxley (I didn't realise their keeper was an ex-player) kept out that Taylor chance at the death.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 104
ginnywings
February 22, 2023, 12:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer
I think you've probably got more chance with 20/21 year olds from Premier/Championship clubs. 18 or 19 feels a bit young to me these days, especially as the Academy teams play Academy teams with few of the grizzled older pros that youngsters used to face in the reserve games in the past. Hurst has been very critical about the fitness levels of the young players who come on loan as well.

Although these youngsters may have more skill than the lower division footballers they face, the physicality is on a different level these days and there are few teenagers who can cope with men's football, though there are obviously exceptions here and there.

Something which I hope Hurst considers during the next transfer window. It's OK having a youngster as the third choice off the bench, but it's difficult if you're relying on them as the first option to try and change the game.

That was shown last night when Holohan inexplicably passed to O'Neill instead of shooting and he was just eased off the ball comfortably by their player as if he wasn't there.

Having had a think about last night, we weren't great but the difference was Oxley in their goal. He made quite a few saves when I think back to the game, especially the Taylor header, which was the golden chance to take the three points.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 104
diehardmariner
February 22, 2023, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
There's no other way of describing that game than as utter turd.  

As others have said, feeling like an endurance going to home games at the minute.  It's not a monster trek for me but an hour travel either side of the game then faffing about with parking etc. for that.  I got in just after 11 last night and thought to myself 'why am I bothering?'  God knows how people feel when they've got a longer journey.

Don't want to bash Morris but he was awful.  I think he's struggled for a few games and could equally have been the one to get the hook a few games when Hunt did, can't imagine he keeps his place on Saturday when Hunt came in and gave us something fresh and different.   In his defence, Holohan is looking equally ineffective but his style of play is more energetic and perhaps more eye catching.  The nature of Morris' game means that he's probably always going to be singled out unless he's absolutely dominating proceedings.  Having someone sitting at the base of a midfield, especially against a side who are so intent on just defending is a hiding to nothing.  That role won't offer anything to the effort of the game.

Few people around me were saying last night that 3-5-2 works away from home but is useless at BP.  I disagree, I think it's just that we have to deploy it differently depending on what's in front of us.  Last night was not a game where you needed a holding midfielder, we could have afford to go with Hunt ahead of Morris, knowing that we would need to switch the play quicker.  Against sides that come to park the bus, the only real way to break them down is to break their two lines of defence, you do that by switching the ball and forcing them out of position.  Hunt is probably the only player, perhaps McAtee at times, in our squad who can do that.  

Few harsh comments regards O'Neill too.  Thought he came on and offered something different, turned his men a few times and ran at them.  Which very few did all night to be fair.  He's not the finished article but has shown far more ability and intent than some of the other loans we've had this season.

Fine margins last night.  Holohan doesn't panic and end up passing or Taylor's effort misses Oxley's legs and we're largely unbothered by the drab display.  But the coin did fall on the wrong side of the line for us and we really need to start developing a ruthless side against teams who come to park the bus.  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 104
DaleH
February 22, 2023, 1:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 168
The game missed some dynamic moments in the final third of the field.

We controlled the game and never looked troubled. But we just lacked enough inventiveness in and around the box. And on the few occasions we did look like something might come of an attack, it fizzled out.

Harrogate certainly set up to stifle and frustrate, and a point will be good for them. But that aside, they were yet again a poor team that we haven't been able to break down enough, for all of our possession and control.

It is interestingly bizarre that we appear to play better against the better teams, and perhaps that is in no small part because in those games, the contest becomes more open, expansive and end to end.

But hey, it's another point on the board and I now look forward to see how we get on against are really decent Orient

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 104
Son of Cod
February 22, 2023, 1:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Stats wise Holohan was much better than Morris and Clifton but those two were similarly effective last night...

Morris
Accurate passes: 17/32 (53%)
Touches: 41
Passes into final third: 9
Successful dribbles: 0
Chances created: 0
Accurate crosses 1/1 (100%)
Total shots: 0
Tackles won: 1
Headed clearances: 1
Interceptions: 1
Recoveries: 1
Ground duels won: 0
Aerial duels won : 3/4 (75%)

Clifton
Accurate passes: 24/34 (71%)
Touches: 44
Passes into final third: 1
Successful dribbles: 3
Chances created: 1
Accurate crosses 0/3
Tackles won: 0
Headed clearances: 0
Interceptions: 0
Recoveries: 4
Ground duels won: 4/6 (67%)
Aerial duels won : 2/3 (67%)

...but let's not let facts get in the way of berating the latest fall guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 104
arryarryarry
February 22, 2023, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily saying he kept hold of the ball particularly well last night but that's why he's in the side as his passing accuracy over the season has been the second best we have after Hunt and he offers more experience and a bit more steel than Hunt.

I have to try to remember where he has offered anything much in his games. For me the poorest of the midfielders we have
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 104
diehardmariner
February 22, 2023, 1:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
Stats wise Holohan was much better than Morris and Clifton but those two were similarly effective last night...

Morris
Accurate passes: 17/32 (53%)
Touches: 41
Passes into final third: 9
Successful dribbles: 0
Chances created: 0
Accurate crosses 1/1 (100%)
Tackles won: 1
Headed clearances: 1
Interceptions: 1
Recoveries: 1
Ground duels won: 0
Aerial duels won : 3/4 (75%)

Clifton
Accurate passes: 24/34 (71%)
Touches: 44
Passes into final third: 1
Successful dribbles: 3
Chances created: 1
Accurate crosses 0/3
Tackles won: 0
Headed clearances: 0
Interceptions: 0
Recoveries: 4
Ground duels won: 4/6 (67%)
Aerial duels won : 2/3 (67%)

...but let's not let facts get in the way of berating the latest fall guy.

Personally think you can take stats like that with a large pinch of salt.  Clifton will always have less passes into the final third than Morris because of where they line up on the pitch.   But for both there's some damning numbers there, 0/3 successful crosses for Clifton and very ;poor passing accuracy for Morris.

Where are those stats from please?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 104
Nutsy
February 22, 2023, 2:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
I thought taking Clifton off instead of Holohan was a bold statement as up to then, Harry had been his usual busy self
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 104
Son of Cod
February 22, 2023, 2:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have to try to remember where he has offered anything much in his games. For me the poorest of the midfielders we have

Arguably our best player earlier in the season and was one of the best players on the pitch in those away wins at Walsall, Rochdale and Newport. I completely disagree on him being our worst midfielder. For me, he's the most versatile of our midfielders. I definitely admit that he's not been as good as he was at the start of the season since returning from injury though. However, having said that I think he was one of the few players to come away from Gillingham away with any shred of credibility.

Quoted from diehardmariner

Personally think you can take stats like that with a large pinch of salt.  Clifton will always have less passes into the final third than Morris because of where they line up on the pitch.   But for both there's some damning numbers there, 0/3 successful crosses for Clifton and very ;poor passing accuracy for Morris.

Where are those stats from please?

They're from Fotmob. I agree with you to an extent that stats can be misleading. I think they can often highlight when someone has been head and shoulders above someone else though and I didn't necessarily see that between the midfielders last night, which is what a lot of people seem to be suggesting. I didn't think Morris was quite as bad as the consensus seems to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 104
ChannelMariner
February 22, 2023, 2:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 2
I said it during the Northampton game even after the win, Morris does not deserve to be in that starting lineup.

He's had some alright moments nearer the start of the season but looks completely lost. Hunt hasn't exactly had the greatest of form but I can't see how giving him a run out over Morris can be any worse. He brings very little to the table.

Hugely frustrating game, a point is a point but we should be winning there, looked good in the first half but definitely lost in the second, too much reacting to the game rather than controlling it, which we should be doing against a fairly pedestrian (although seemingly well organised) side who came for the point.

It's a shame because there was some good passing play in the first, Clifton looked busy and Emmanuel was threatening, as well as McAtee and Efete. We were unlucky at times I think, definitely not concerned about relegation, just a shame not to pick up what would've been a very handy extra couple of points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 104
diehardmariner
February 22, 2023, 2:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Morris was fine earlier in the season because of the system we were playing.  He anchored a midfield that pressed high ahead of him.  All our of the midfielders were encouraged to play higher press with the full-backs also pushing on to overload teams.  

That type of system suits someone like Morris who will do the donkey work, drop into gaps to cover and make sure we don't overloaded ourselves.  I don't think our current system suits him at all.  As said before, if you're only going with one option down each flank then you've got to have someone who can switch the play with intent and speed.  He doesn't do that, it's just not his game. There are also less gaps defensively for him to cover, if the wing back goes forward there's always a centre-back who can drift across.  The gaps are further forward, where he isn't.

He hasn't become a bad player overnight, I think he's out of form but just not suited to our system.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 104
Jarmo.Is.God
February 22, 2023, 2:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
1st half was ok, we looked good at times, with some nice passes, 2nd half was painful for the majority.
Emmanuel really is a level above, he's so out of place in this league, and its great!

We missed Khan IMO tonight. He can create something out of nothing very quickly.

Might of missed it, but no Scannell on the bench again?

For the next game:
Hunt in for Morris
Taylor in for Lloyd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 104
TownSNAFU5
February 22, 2023, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
We were our own worst enemy last night.  

ZBetter composure near their goal would have been more productive.

Maher and Glennon both both made determined runs down the left in the second half.  The cross/final ball then let their good work down.

Crosses were often taken by their keeper (who was excellent).  Players need to shoot when close to goal and not make a risky pass.

Another area we can improve on is taking throw-ins.  Very few options to receive the ball or any movement.  This resulted in us giving away possession too often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 104
FishOutOfWater
February 22, 2023, 2:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido
I just couldn't understand why we persisted with attacking down the right when Glennon time and again had loads of space on the left. I lost count the number of times he didn't have a Harrogate player wasn't within 25 -30 yds of him but we still kept pushing the right side.

I thought the same

Why we didn't switch quickly from the right to Glennon out on the left more than we did I don't know

I have to say I just didn't get the preference to play the ball through the opposition's packed defence ( with a potential jinking run and cross from Emmanuel, as well as that worked on Saturday and again in the last minute for that Taylor chance ) rather than spread the play and catch them flat-footed

It was a frustrating night but at least we didn't switch off and gift Harrogate a goal and the three points ( if they were ever interested in anything more than a draw )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 104
Les Brechin
February 22, 2023, 2:49pm

Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
1st half was ok, we looked good at times, with some nice passes, 2nd half was painful for the majority.
Emmanuel really is a level above, he's so out of place in this league, and its great!

We missed Khan IMO tonight. He can create something out of nothing very quickly.

Might of missed it, but no Scannell on the bench again?

For the next game:
Hunt in for Morris
Taylor in for Lloyd

Scannell started the Lincs Cup game at Grantham last night.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 104
ginnywings
February 22, 2023, 2:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Nutsy
I thought taking Clifton off instead of Holohan was a bold statement as up to then, Harry had been his usual busy self

It was as much to give him rest from our hectic schedule as anything, which is what PH said post match.

As for Morris, I think he was our best midfielder in the first part of the season. Not been quite as good since his injury, but all players lose form at times. Do you leave them out, or do you try and let them play themselves through it?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 104
sam gy
February 22, 2023, 3:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
I want Hunt to come good as much as the next Town fan, and i'm sure he will, but right now i don't understand why people are still clamouring for him to start. Whenever he has had a chance recently he's been pretty poor/ineffective, IMO.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 104
Maringer
February 22, 2023, 3:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Those player stats are nonsense, it should be said. Clifton had at least one successful cross when he got into the box and passed to McAtee who shot past the post. Another wasted chance really as I reckon Clifton should have had a shot from that position. Had a good opportunity to score even if he'd just toe-poked an effort towards goal. Same goes for Holohan in the second half when he fluffed a needless pass towards O'Neill. You could see by the way he was berating himself, he realised his error.

Unfortunately, just one of a few poor decisions which meant their keeper wasn't tested enough - McAtee slashed a left-footed volley high and wide in the second half when a simple lay-off would have put Glennon clear through in the area with no defender anywhere nearby.

In fact, I'd say that's symptomatic of the way in which McAtee is playing at the moment. Some good touches mixed in with some wild ones, but his game management isn't improving yet and he doesn't look after the ball well enough a lot of the time. With his ability, he should be influencing play a lot more (and scoring/creating more!) than he currently manages and he's of an age now that he needs to get a lot better in these areas if he wants to fulfil his potential.

Hopefully, the return of Taylor will bring the best out of him once again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 104
forza ivano
February 22, 2023, 3:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Oh for a Jay matete in the midfield??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 104
arryarryarry
February 22, 2023, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from sam gy
I want Hunt to come good as much as the next Town fan, and i'm sure he will, but right now i don't understand why people are still clamouring for him to start. Whenever he has had a chance recently he's been pretty poor/ineffective, IMO.

He did more in the few minutes he was on than Morris did in the whole game.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 104
golfer
February 22, 2023, 4:24pm
Vodka Drinker
We'll see a good midfielder on Saturday who we shouldn't have let go - sooner have him than Morris any day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 104
friskneymariner
February 22, 2023, 5:02pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
They obviously have watched us carefully and nullifyed our attack by double marking Emmanuel,we have to stop being so one dimensional.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 104
Mariner_09
February 22, 2023, 5:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from friskneymariner
They obviously have watched us carefully and nullifyed our attack by double marking Emmanuel,we have to stop being so one dimensional.

I'd like to think once Otis is fit again and Taylor can start we'll have a lot more variety to our attacking play. They can't double up on McAtee, Taylor, Otis and Emmanuel

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 104
pontoonlew
February 22, 2023, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from sam gy

Presuming you weren’t at Crewe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 104
rancido
February 22, 2023, 6:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

Then all the more reason during the match to exploit the left hand side.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 104
chaos33
February 22, 2023, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from golfer
We'll see a good midfielder on Saturday who we shouldn't have let go - sooner have him than Morris any day

Who?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 104
Poojah
February 22, 2023, 7:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,886
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from chaos33

Who?

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/4493/36810530603_6e20acb357_o.jpg[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 104
ska face
February 22, 2023, 7:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
The Head from Art Attack?
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 104
Poojah
February 22, 2023, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
The Head from Art Attack?

His legs have gone.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 104
chaos33
February 22, 2023, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Craig Clay?! Give over.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 104
Poojah
February 22, 2023, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Craig Clay?! Give over.

28 appearances for the runaway league leaders so far this season; can’t knock that. I always liked Clay and was disappointed we got shot, but even then I’m a tad surprised that he’s still doing it at the sharp end of League Two all these years later.

Fair play to the bloke.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 104
chaos33
February 22, 2023, 8:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Absolutely bang average when here though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 104
moosey_club
February 22, 2023, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Think Clay lived in the shadows of his pairings ....did a steady job ...probably a consistent 7 out of 10 most games....rather than fluctuating from superb to shIte.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 104
chaos33
February 22, 2023, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't wish we still had him, put it that way. He was ok. Steady.
Clifton is way better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 104
HertsGTFC
February 22, 2023, 9:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

28 appearances for the runaway league leaders so far this season; can’t knock that. I always liked Clay and was disappointed we got shot, but even then I’m a tad surprised that he’s still doing it at the sharp end of League Two all these years later.

Fair play to the bloke.

Arrived as a trialist left as a promotion winner - good player great attitude!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 104
Poojah
February 22, 2023, 9:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Absolutely bang average when here though.

2 seasons. 74 appearances. 3 of them at Wembley. 5 goals. 1 promotion.

I can think of players who had a more bang average time here.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 104
rancido
February 22, 2023, 9:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Exactly! He frequently got slated on this site while he was here and he's now a regular in a team at the top of our league.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 104
golfer
February 22, 2023, 9:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I don't wish we still had him, put it that way. He was ok. Steady.
Clifton is way better.

Clifton wasn't mentioned -it was Morris
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 104
bradzmilne
February 22, 2023, 10:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
On a completely different note, I would be not surprised to see us in for Armstrong in the summer. Particularly if Harrogate do get dragged back into the national league.

A couple of years left on his contract, so would command a sizeable fee (perhaps not as big as others however).

He’s a proper Paul Hurst striker.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 104
chaos33
February 23, 2023, 1:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, his time here went well when you look at it like that, but as a player, I thought he was steady, and no better than that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 104
nightrider
February 23, 2023, 10:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
He was no Manny Panther. Another who had no interest in signing for us - then went on to have a great career

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 104
Maringer
February 23, 2023, 11:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
I do remember being surprised when Clay was released as I thought he was a solid enough player.

Hurst obviously thought he could do better. Before signing Berrett and Summerfield*.

I think Hurst has admitted he moved Pearson on too early and I'd imagine he feels much the same about Clay.

(*I thought Summerfield was OK in that second season).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 104
ginnywings
February 23, 2023, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Clay must have improved no end if he is a mainstay with the league leaders, which is highly likely and probable.

Thought he was ok myself, but no more than that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 104
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 23, 2023, 11:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Maringer
I do remember being surprised when Clay was released as I thought he was a solid enough player.

Hurst obviously thought he could do better. Before signing Berrett and Summerfield*.

I think Hurst has admitted he moved Pearson on too early and I'd imagine he feels much the same about Clay.

(*I thought Summerfield was OK in that second season).

Pearson was moved on by Slade wasn't he? Didnt offer him a new contract. According to Shaun in the checkout queue one night in Tesco shortly before he went to Wrexham.

I always think that Clay was similar to Fox in that he was mostly overlooked by Town fans for the majority of his time here, but actually was a steady team player who progressed as time went on. Fox too but came good towards the end of his spell here. Would happily have both of them here now, but equally wouldn't go out of my way to sign them.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 104
diehardmariner
February 23, 2023, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
I liked Clay, but I always thought he could/should have done more here.  Few occasions when he first arrived when he ran at teams and drove the ball forward, yet he never did it much after.  

I think,. as with many from that 2016 team, we rightly looked to improve but then never actually did. In fact we regressed.  Truth be told, who has arrived in the Town midfield since Clay left that has proved to better?  Of those that have, the majority (if not all) have been relatively recently.  

I would argue Clifton has emerged through our own system who is definitely better.  Potentially Fox but the injury debate always remains with him.  Some will say Holohan but Clay has played for better teams consistently in the last 7 years.  

Depressing really.  
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 104
TownSNAFU5
February 23, 2023, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
On a similar theme, I thought James Hunt was under-appreciated as a water-carrier. He did a lot of good work which did not always get noticed or appreciated.  He was more effective away from home I think.

He was never a car crash anyway.

Talking of Hunts.  Yes, we all want Alex Hunt to deliver.  He is still very young though and has time.

Ironically, he has already performed well in a big televised game a the FAC 5th Round.

He came in as a sub for Sheff Wed against Man City in 2019. The local press reported that he had a very good game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 104
Abdul19
February 23, 2023, 11:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
On a similar theme, I thought James Hunt was under-appreciated as a water-carrier. He did a lot of good work which did not always get noticed or appreciated.  He was more effective away from home I think.

Yeah I liked him, played well in that run at the end of 08/09. Newell must've been on the white lightning when he released him but kept Boshell and Clarke.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 104
Kris2
February 23, 2023, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah I liked him, played well in that run at the end of 08/09. Newell must've been on the white lightning when he released him but kept Boshell and Clarke.

It sort of makes sense in the context he was in his mid thirties at the time and was very much a Buckley type player and not what Newell wanted (though we later learned what he looks for in a player). Hunt was industrious, did all the donkey work in midfield winning the ball without standing out as flashy which is much of the Buckley archetype for what a midfielder is. Boshell and Clarke were utility players who it was probably hoped would be useful to have around since they could play in a few different positions, though they were not particularly good at any of them which was the problem. At least he released Richard Hopeless and wasn't the one responsible for Heywood the slowest defender I've seen in a Town shirt. The Collins/Clarke paring under Slade looked like Usain Bolt in comparison.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 104
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 23, 2023, 1:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Clay, Disley & Nolan was probably our best midfield for many a season and a pity they had so little time playing together. As for Clay always liked him as a real grafter who wasn’t too bad on the ball and I certainly would rate him above all but Clifton in our current squad albeit Holohan probably plays a different midfield role to him.

All just opinions at the end of the day and I still remember the Barrett Stand’s dislike of Mike Hickman back in the day and he proved to be an excellent town player and had a good career when he moved on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 104
diehardmariner
February 23, 2023, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Hunt was the perfect foil for Sweeney in that run at the end of 08/09.

Still, we got Mike Leary as a replacement...
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2023, 1:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Clay, Disley & Nolan was probably our best midfield for many a season and a pity they had so little time playing together. As for Clay always liked him as a real grafter who wasn’t too bad on the ball and I certainly would rate him above all but Clifton in our current squad albeit Holohan probably plays a different midfield role to him.

All just opinions at the end of the day and I still remember the Barrett Stand’s dislike of Mike Hickman back in the day and he proved to be an excellent town player and had a good career when he moved on.

I often joke that we had some terrific players even in the darkest non league times, but sadly couldn't get them together in the same team - just a year or two either way and we would have had a fantastic team.

An eleven chosen over say 5 seasons in our non league days would have been too good for league 2.

I suppose this is the dilemma managers have these days- it's very difficult to get the incremental improvements often talked about because your better players are itching to move on when their 1 year or 18month contract is up and you have to start the process again. It's a bit of a lottery really.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 104
Theimperialcoroner
February 23, 2023, 3:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103

I often joke that we had some terrific players even in the darkest non league times, but sadly couldn't get them together in the same team - just a year or two either way and we would have had a fantastic team.

An eleven chosen over say 5 seasons in our non league days would have been too good for league 2.

I suppose this is the dilemma managers have these days- it's very difficult to get the incremental improvements often talked about because your better players are itching to move on when their 1 year or 18month contract is up and you have to start the process again. It's a bit of a lottery really.

A sober XI from that period would’ve also been decent, but sadly they couldn’t emulate Gally and still perform tanked up. Conlon and Sweeney drunk their careers up the wall.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 104
Badger57
February 23, 2023, 3:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +1,922
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Hickman was pretty rubbish the season before 71-72 promotion season when he was magnificent. Lawrie Mac certainly got the best out of him as I recall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 104
jamesgtfc
February 23, 2023, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190

McKeown
Tait Pearson Nsiala Townsend
Clay Disley Nolan
Hearn Bogle Amond

Subs: Nielson, Gowling, Magnay, Hannah, Thanoj
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 104
Mariner_09
February 23, 2023, 4:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from jamesgtfc

McKeown
Clay Disley Nolan
Hearn Bogle Amond

Harsh that Nath isn't in the side let alone the squad. I'd have Lenny on the bench as well over Hannah (whom I always thought was overrated).

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 104
jamesgtfc
February 23, 2023, 4:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mariner_09

Harsh that Nath isn't in the side let alone the squad. I'd have Lenny on the bench as well over Hannah (whom I always thought was overrated).

Very fair comment. Lenny and Arnold can go on the bench in place of Nielson and Hannah. I really struggled to put a CM on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2023, 6:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

McKeown
Clay Disley Nolan
Hearn Bogle Amond

Connell would certainly be in my team but who to leave out is the problem. In a parallel world it would be a nice dilemma.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 104
wigworld
February 23, 2023, 6:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Mariner_09

Harsh that Nath isn't in the side let alone the squad.

Pond or Arnold?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 91 - 104
diehardmariner
February 24, 2023, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker

Connell would certainly be in my team but who to leave out is the problem. In a parallel world it would be a nice dilemma.

I think that just highlights the number of good strikers we had in the Conference, I wouldn't even consider Connell for the starting XI with 3 up front!  That 3 would be nailed on for me.  Probably have him ahead of Hannah on the bench, who peaked when on loan.

I was just thinking it's a shame that team didn't play together, but it's only Hearn who didn't play with the majority.  10 of that 11 played in the 15/16 season, yet we still fell miles behind the eventual league winners.  Suppose both Townsend and Nolan only had short spells here, over a course of a season you would think that would have had a significant impact.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 104
Poojah
February 24, 2023, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think that just highlights the number of good strikers we had in the Conference, I wouldn't even consider Connell for the starting XI with 3 up front!  That 3 would be nailed on for me.  Probably have him ahead of Hannah on the bench, who peaked when on loan.

I was just thinking it's a shame that team didn't play together, but it's only Hearn who didn't play with the majority.  10 of that 11 played in the 15/16 season, yet we still fell miles behind the eventual league winners.  Suppose both Townsend and Nolan only had short spells here, over a course of a season you would think that would have had a significant impact.

Connell scored 25 goals in 46 appearances in what was arguably the worst Grimsby Town team in history. Some of the goals he scored were absolutely class as well.

It could never be more than a hypothetical debate, but it would have been interesting to see how he’d have done in the side Amond scored so many in.  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 104
Maringer
February 24, 2023, 3:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd probably argue that the Conference became 'stronger' in quality during our years down there as wealthy owners began to spend big to try and get out, so Connell was probably facing weaker defences in general. See also Rob Eagle, who wasn't very good, but scored quite a lot of goals for a winger that same season.

Not that Connell didn't score some great goals, it's just that there seemed to be a lot more space around for him to bag them as far as I can recall.

Of course, I could just be imagining it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 104
Poojah
February 24, 2023, 3:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I'd probably argue that the Conference became 'stronger' in quality during our years down there as wealthy owners began to spend big to try and get out, so Connell was probably facing weaker defences in general. See also Rob Eagle, who wasn't very good, but scored quite a lot of goals for a winger that same season.

Not that Connell didn't score some great goals, it's just that there seemed to be a lot more space around for him to bag them as far as I can recall.

Of course, I could just be imagining it all.

No, I think that’s a fair summation. The Blue Square Premier of 2010/11 definitely felt like your archetypal, semi-professional non-league division. Now, the National League is very much League Three in all but name.

Gates are a good barometer. Average gates this season and last are about 60% higher than they were in 10/11, such is the stature of clubs in the division and the money sloshing around for various reasons. It’s an entirely different proposition.

That said, Connell was still class. His career is not that dissimilar to Amond’s in many ways, albeit Podge was younger when he found himself here. Both were playing below their natural level though, as their respective records attest. They should never have been non-league players, though I’m glad they were.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 104
Les Brechin
February 24, 2023, 3:25pm

Quoted from Poojah

No, I think that’s a fair summation. The Blue Square Premier of 2010/11 definitely felt like your archetypal, semi-professional non-league division. Now, the National League is very much League Three in all but name.

Gates are a good barometer. Average gates this season and last are about 60% higher than they were in 10/11, such is the stature of clubs in the division and the money sloshing around for various reasons. It’s an entirely different proposition.

That said, Connell was still class. His career is not that dissimilar to Amond’s in many ways, albeit Podge was younger when he found himself here. Both were playing below their natural level though, as their respective records attest. They should never have been non-league players, though I’m glad they were.

I thought we'd found another gem when Rob Duffy scored after 30 seconds of his debut at Eastbourne. Just shows you how wrong first impressions can sometimes be!  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 104
diehardmariner
February 24, 2023, 4:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Happy to be corrected but wasn't Connell a bit of a flat track bully in the Conference?  I think it was something laid at the feet of Hearn too.

Connell was indeed class, some of his goals were sublime but when you look back some of the defending and goalkeeping was woeful.  But you can only beat what's in front of you.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYzGdRFAeVg

No slight on him that I wouldn't put him ahead of Hearn, Bogle or Amond.  More a reflection how fortunate we were with strikers over that period of time.  4 strikers who got in excess of 20 goals in a season within a six-season period (5 separate episodes if you count Bogle's haul in the 16/17 season back in the league).  Definitely hasn't happened in my lifetime before.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 104
TownSNAFU5
February 24, 2023, 5:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Connell scored some very classy goals.  These are remembered more than another player scoring twice as many scrappy goals.  Even though the latter total is better.

Memories, magic moments and excitement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 104
ginnywings
February 24, 2023, 6:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Amond was also classed as a flat track bully by some, but I suppose it's easier to score against the weaker sides in the division. Think that is true in most leagues.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 104
Posh Harry
February 25, 2023, 2:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from ginnywings
Amond was also classed as a flat track bully by some, but I suppose it's easier to score against the weaker sides in the division. Think that is true in most leagues.

I would absolutely love a flat track bully right now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 104
louth_in_the_south
February 25, 2023, 5:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
What exactly is a flat track bully ?  

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 104
Mappers
February 25, 2023, 6:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Rob Eagle went on to bevome a bit of a cult hero at Lowestoft Town , I watched him play there once -think he found his true level !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 104
Heisenberg
February 25, 2023, 7:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
What exactly is a flat track bully ?  

Someone who only performs well against poor opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 104
Maringer
February 25, 2023, 7:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
It comes from cricket. A batsman who only scores runs on a flat pitch where the ball isn't moving around.

I certainly recall that Hearn, for all his goals, never really did it against the top 6 in the division. It's likely to be the same with most strikers but the really good ones find a way to score against the top teams as well. Which is why they tend to be playing for the top teams themselves! It's probably a case that the top teams create more and better chances for the strikers to score, however, so that needs to be considered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 104
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.