Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 259 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 7,578 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
February 18, 2023, 4:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Sofa…

Typical Town! doom and gloom, go 1-0 down, against Promotion contenders, go and win it. We’re so frustratingly inconsistent but i’ll take it.

Didnt feel we deserved to be behind in 1st half, switched off badly for their goal, and were punished, had chances ourselves didnt take them and were denied a very clear penalty.

2nd half 2 Substitutions from the man who doesnt make any before 70 mins ( supposedly) Efete and Lloyd on. It gave emannuel the freedom down that right hand side,  first 5 of the half aside we didnt create much and Northampton did seem to be in control but then Emanuel did brilliantly down the right hand side and put a lovely ball into the box for Waterfall to power home, i hoped we wouldnt sit back and to our credit we didnt, with O Neil coming on in an attacking move, and then replay in the 92nd minute, Emmanuel ball in, and glennon of all people to head it home. Ref tried to give us heart failure with going 3 minutes over the 6 added, but we hung on just and its 3 deserved points

Credit to Paul and the side, Mcatee had a good game but Waterfall my clear man of the match
Logged Offline
Private Message
barralad
February 18, 2023, 4:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
And breathe...in the long history of Town comebacks that was right up there.
First half was dull. Town could consider themselves unlucky to go in behind even without the most blatant handball you'll see this season. Half time was a poke in the eye for those who say Hurst is too rigid in his thinking. The switch to 3 at the back was exactly what was needed. It freed Emmanuel to get forward and after Town had gone close twice from Mcatee (and with everyone thinking it was another of "those days") a sublime piece of skill gave him the room to put an unmissable cross onto Waterfall's head for a deserved equaliser. Northampton didn't learn their lesson and into stoppage time he repeated the effort for any one of at least three Town players to score a winner which sent the 700 plus into apoplexy.
Just a word about the ref..abysmal.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 48
fishcake63
February 18, 2023, 4:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Agree with those comments can we now put relegation to bed & find some consistency
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 48
TwoLeftFeet
February 18, 2023, 4:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Special mention to Waterfall thought he was a proper leader out there he seemed to be on the end of everything put in our box..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 48
TheRealJohnLewis
February 18, 2023, 4:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Waterfall was immense as always. Emmanuel looked rusty and he was struggling at RB, but came into the game 2nd half and showed real quality in dinking in 2 wonderful crosses. Matched them first half and one lapse at the back with errors from Maher and Amos, gifting them an easy goal. 2nd half I thought we were the better team and it would have been criminal if we hadn't have got anything from the game.

We can now rightly put the silly claims of a relegation battle to bed, we were never in it or going to be In it.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 48
Mariner93er
February 18, 2023, 5:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Tight game but I think we just about edged it. Emmanuel looked lost and leggy in right back in the first half and was relatively quiet until he suddenly turned it on, showing his class.

Waterfall was a colossus and my MOTM. The midfield still needs some work, they never really got on the ball and struggled but they still battled admirably. Overall it was a typical Hurst performance, I think we outworked them which was probably the difference in the end (other than Emmanuel).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 48
RonMariner
February 18, 2023, 5:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,861
Gold Stars: 230
That was great!  Nothing like an injury time winner away from home!

From where we were sitting we had a perfect view of the goals. Terrific work from Emmanuel. For the second one in particular he had no right to win that ball, it looked like he had been dispossessed, but he somehow reclaimed it and put is a superb delivery. Both crosses in were outstanding.

It's a large away end at Northampton and there was hardly a spare seat, what a terrific turnout!

UTM!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 48
RonMariner
February 18, 2023, 5:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,861
Gold Stars: 230
Great to see Taylor back too. Hopefully he should be back to something near to full match fitness in time for the Southampton game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 48
Spurn boy
February 18, 2023, 6:12pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
I know we say it virtually every game but today the referee was awful, ok we ended up with 3 points but at one time I thought everything was going against us and the hand ball in the box was definitely a penalty and it’s those decisions that can make or break our season. A point would have been a fair result but to get the win it’s happy days. Thought Emmanuel was excellent today and his determination in getting the ball down the right hand side to cross for Glennon to score was a class and skill above our league . Praise to Hursty for making the substitutions that he did although a couple were enforced. Town fans were excellent and looking up the league again after a couple of disappointing results.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 48
Kris2
February 18, 2023, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Nice to pick up a win after some frustrating performances again. Emmanuel looks good with the ball at his feet, both goals came from basically the same situation where he beat two and put a cross in to the back post. Perhaps a bit lucky with the second one as it seemed like they were scared to tackle him or touch him so he managed to scramble the ball through them. If I was one of the defenders I'd be eating a booking for the team before he can get a cross in and then defending a set piece at the end. I'm sure their supporters won't be happy about the defensive performance there.

Tale of two halves probably as in the first we lacked any sort of spark and needed the influential players like Waterfall who likes to lead by example to dig in and get us back in the game.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 48
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.