2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
GTFC_85
February 17, 2023, 4:38am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 3
I need some info... You may have seen Motherwell just had to dump their manager.  Ian Holloway is in the frame to take over.  As he was Grimsby's manager for a while, what are your opinions of him?....

I certainly left my opinion of that clown, be interesting for him to see the wider view
Logged Offline
Private Message
golfer
February 17, 2023, 6:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
He opened our eyes to what a good manager should be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
crusty ole pie
February 17, 2023, 8:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
No idea on lower league football ( some including me would say no idea about football management in general ) so I would suggest he has even less idea what Scottish football is all about but don’t worry he will have loads of contacts and his phone will be on fire
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
chaos33
February 17, 2023, 8:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
He has actually achieved some notable successes as a manager, but when he was with us he promised much and then ended up making me think he was an utter loop.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
promotion plaice
February 17, 2023, 8:58am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Gary Anderson as Holloway's assistant?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
HertsGTFC
February 17, 2023, 8:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
He's the king of bull sh1t mountain!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
The Caterham Mariner
February 17, 2023, 9:07am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +103
Gold Stars: 8
Scotland you are welcome to him to your football league
Nicola Sturgeon  has more of an idea than him

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
aldi_01
February 17, 2023, 9:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Charlatan, crook, girl private, no idea, dinosaur, did I mention girl private.

Pretty much the opinion of him at every club he’s been at it, even the ones where he had relative success…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 17, 2023, 9:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Personally, I’d say it’s more of a media circus than anything else. He arrived with such a furore that everyone (the majority) was dumbstruck. Sky sports suddenly remembered that Grimsby had a football club again as there was a Holloway interview bi-weekly. He was great with all the spin and media stuff (maybe he should be a politician) but, when it came to recruiting players, there seemed to be a lot of guess work. Now, wether that was down to the restraints of the board, covid or both, then we will never know.

The naivety of having no pre season in professional football though is unforgivable. How a manager and ex player with his amount of experience could think that was enough and would sort the team basically sealed our fate before a ball was even kicked.

So in a word, I’d say be very wary. He has taken teams to the promised land of the premier league but was out of his depth at a 4th tier team. On a scale of disliked managers, I’d say he’s with Steve evans on the Christmas card list

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
jamesgtfc
February 17, 2023, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Ian Runaway. It's not just us he's ran away from. As soon as the Alex May story got out, he made a quick exit and he's never addressed that so I'm certain he stood to gain from that dodgy dealing. He told the Bristol paper in his weekly article that he had put £100k of his own money in to join the board, then when our accounts came out, he had put £500 in!

He claimed the new owners called him on his phone behind his back during the takeover, how that's possible I don't know but he must have blocked their number as when the new owners bought the club and bought shares off people, I'm sure Ian still kept his £500 shares.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A review for a friend

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.