ginnywings
February 16, 2023, 5:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

It absolutely is excuses. We've been shite all season. The first 10 games we picked up about 10 points more than we deserved by teams missing hatfulls of sitters. The difference now is that they're not.

Those points will probably save us, but quite clearly we aren't good enough.

We've been sh1te in some games admittedly, but good in some others, and mediocre in the majority.

All teams miss chances, it's the way of it in League 2 and we have missed plenty ourselves. The Efete one against Colchester a few days ago for instance. We missed good chances against Bradford. Northampton and especially Sutton at home from memory. Swindon too has just sprung to mind.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
FishOutOfWater
February 16, 2023, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

you never heard anything about ron jeremy complaining about not getting any rest

To be honest, if you asked him he'd say it was a really hard life 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 56
FishOutOfWater
February 16, 2023, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from aldi_01

Is that like we were shite last season yet went from January to the end only losing 3 games and then winning all three playoff matches away, in extra time?

We’re not shite this year at all, it’s a just a sweeping generalisation. To say that would imply we’re flukey or didn’t deserve those wins which is absolute balderdash. Take Stockport away, excrement teams don’t go away and dominate. Plymouth at home, Crewe twice, Luton, Walsall, Colchester away and so on. You don’t win those games if you’re shite.

I think the word everyone is looking for is, inconsistent. That’s an issue but to say we’re shite is bullshit…

Tend to agree with you

If ( and I know it's a big IF ) we had held on to leads at Hartlepool and Harrogate and maybe not conceded so late on Tuesday, we'd have had another 7 points on the board

A potential 40 points at this stage of the season instead of the 33 we actually have would mean our analysis / critique of how the season has gone would be a lot less negative

I stand to be proven wrong but I think we have enough to get the 50 points or so that should guarantee our safety .... 19 games to go, at a point a game and we'll be in League 2 again next season with a suitably refreshed squad

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 56
rancido
February 16, 2023, 8:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

To be honest, if you asked him he'd say it was a really hard life 😏

He certainly seemed to have lots of stamina!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Mighty_Mariner
February 17, 2023, 5:09am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,244
Gold Stars: 10
I think this season was always going to catch up with us after such little time off in the summer.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
chaos33
February 17, 2023, 5:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Tend to agree with you

If ( and I know it's a big IF ) we had held on to leads at Hartlepool and Harrogate and maybe not conceded so late on Tuesday, we'd have had another 7 points on the board

A potential 40 points at this stage of the season instead of the 33 we actually have would mean our analysis / critique of how the season has gone would be a lot less negative

I stand to be proven wrong but I think we have enough to get the 50 points or so that should guarantee our safety .... 19 games to go, at a point a game and we'll be in League 2 again next season with a suitably refreshed squad

UTM

At last some balanced, pragmatic opinion to offset all of the angry overstatement.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
MuddyWaters
February 17, 2023, 7:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33

At last some balanced, pragmatic opinion to offset all of the angry overstatement.

It’s hypothesis though. We haven’t got 40 points, we don’t have a physical presence in our forward options and we’re easy to play against. Our home form, which should create the most points is woeful and we’ve wasted what was a pretty good start to the season.

I still believe we’ll get to safety but it’s going to be harder than it should have been.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
chaos33
February 17, 2023, 8:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Yeah I understand that. You can’t deny facts, and that leads to reflection. Our home form and points return has been dreadful, and many of the performances haven’t been great to watch. We did have a good start to the season and failed to capitalise on that. We have lost games we really shouldn’t have against poor teams ((although every club in the league will have examples of that), we do seem to be lacking a visible and entertaining or winning method at times and we do have a need for an upgrade on some of our players but….

We are clearly not ‘sh1t’. That’s really unfair on our squad whom I think are all committed and passionate and give their best. We are not, presently, in a ‘relegation dogfight’.
It is too early to say whether we had an ‘appalling transfer window’ and we do not need a ‘massive squad overhaul’ in the summer. Yes some quality additions/replacements are needed, and we all know what positions we’re referring to, but we have a fair few good players for this level. Many results and performances in recent months have been below the required standard and we shouldn’t settle for that, but a load of blithering, entitled, negative, sometimes abusive overstatement isn’t helpful or credible.
There have been some excellent performances and results this season, in amongst the disappointments, but those people who’ve been telling us they’ve been supporting Town for 50/60/70 years and the football they’re watching this season is amongst the worst they’ve seen are talking absolute cobblers in my view. I’m a long term fan myself of about 40ish years and I’ve seen way, way, way worse seasons, teams and performances than anything i’ve seen this season, as disappointed as we all are.

We need to establish some composure and pragmatism, keep aiming high and strive to climb a few places, and take stock. And keep backing the boys.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
MuddyWaters
February 17, 2023, 8:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
Yeah I understand that. You can’t deny facts, and that leads to reflection. Our home form and points return has been dreadful, and many of the performances haven’t been great to watch. We did have a good start to the season and failed to capitalise on that. We have lost games we really shouldn’t have against poor teams ((although every club in the league will have examples of that), we do seem to be lacking a visible and entertaining or winning method at times and we do have a need for an upgrade on some of our players but….

We are clearly not ‘sh1t’. That’s really unfair on our squad whom I think are all committed and passionate and give their best. We are not, presently, in a ‘relegation dogfight’.
It is too early to say whether we had an ‘appalling transfer window’ and we do not need a ‘massive squad overhaul’ in the summer. Yes some quality additions/replacements are needed, and we all know what positions we’re referring to, but we have a fair few good players for this level. Many results and performances in recent months have been below the required standard and we shouldn’t settle for that, but a load of blithering, entitled, negative, sometimes abusive overstatement isn’t helpful or credible.
There have been some excellent performances and results this season, in amongst the disappointments, but those people who’ve been telling us they’ve been supporting Town for 50/60/70 years and the football they’re watching this season is amongst the worst they’ve seen are talking absolute cobblers in my view. I’m a long term fan myself of about 40ish years and I’ve seen way, way, way worse seasons, teams and performances than anything i’ve seen this season, as disappointed as we all are.

We need to establish some composure and pragmatism, keep aiming high and strive to climb a few places, and take stock. And keep backing the boys.  

Fair dos. I’ll never stop backing the boys but we need to take stock of what’s happening in the windows and start working on a different strategy. If you look at the last two windows, we’ve signed very few players who have been regular starters at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
February 17, 2023, 9:17am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fair dos. I’ll never stop backing the boys but we need to take stock of what’s happening in the windows and start working on a different strategy. If you look at the last two windows, we’ve signed very few players who have been regular starters at this level.

Genuine question.  Seeing as we can't compete financially and our location seems to be a problem too, what strategy would you suggest to help us sign a couple of top quality League 2 players?  For example, do we take a punt, hypothetically on a striker who has scored say 26 goals in a League two below us, and hope that playing with better players might enable him to do the same in League 2?

Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fatigue

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.