Poojah
February 14, 2023, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,902
Gold Stars: 1,527
https://theathletic.com/4196667/2023/02/14/jesse-marsch-southampton-manager/

Locals not very happy. Our game against them is betwixt an away game at his old club Leeds and then at home to Leicester. I don’t think we’ll be seeing many regular first-teamers at St Mary’s.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerRob
February 14, 2023, 10:44am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Whilst not trying to get ahead of ourselves - that news can't be bad - is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 14, 2023, 10:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Gold Stars: 190
Not bad is it. Get sacked by one club and probably get a couple of million severance. Then, quite possibly, get the same sort of wage you were on before.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
Maringer
February 14, 2023, 10:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
It's madness. A manager gets sacked because his team is doing crap and is only just hovering above the relegation zone but then immediately gets employed by one of the few teams doing even worse!

I get that the young, upcoming manager route didn't work out for them with Jones, but this is an appointment with little apparent logic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 14, 2023, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
It's madness. A manager gets sacked because his team is doing crap and is only just hovering above the relegation zone but then immediately gets employed by one of the few teams doing even worse!

I get that the young, upcoming manager route didn't work out for them with Jones, but this is an appointment with little apparent logic.

Ssssssssshhhhhhhh 😉

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
Mariner_09
February 14, 2023, 10:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Poojah
https://theathletic.com/4196667/2023/02/14/jesse-marsch-southampton-manager/

Locals not very happy. Our game against them is betwixt an away game at his old club Leeds and then at home to Leicester. I don’t think we’ll be seeing many regular first-teamers at St Mary’s.

They might not even play the reserves, he'll might just play the kids as surely this really is just a distraction and a game Soton could do without.

Must say, all the ingredients are there for an upset. Obviously one materialising is quite another matter.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
wuffing
February 14, 2023, 11:00am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mariner_09

They might not even play the reserves, he'll might just play the kids as surely this really is just a distraction and a game Soton could do without.

Must say, all the ingredients are there for an upset. Obviously one materialising is quite another matter.

Bloody hell, we'll be favourites soon!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
MarinerDevil
February 14, 2023, 11:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Maringer

Sometimes a manager's personality works with a different set of players. Also don't forget that Marsch saved Leeds last year when they were doomed. It's not totally without logic, but hopefully for us they don't get a bounce.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
AdamHaddock
February 14, 2023, 11:10am

Main Stander
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
In other managerial news, 74 year old Neil Warnock has gone back to Huddersfield

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
Poojah
February 14, 2023, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,902
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Mariner_09

It’s interesting isn’t it. Southampton could probably get away with fielding a modestly weakened team and stand a good chance of beating us, but there’s certainly an argument that an FA Cup quarter final against a Premier League big gun, which would require the full deployment of their first team, is a game they really don’t need.

Winning the FA Cup, which would still be a long shot for them, would probably net them about £8m. Staying in the Prem meanwhile would be worth more than £80m. Genuinely makes you wonder if Marsch will be given the blessing of the So’ton board to play the yoof, doesn’t it?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
Mariner_09
February 14, 2023, 11:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Poojah

It’s interesting isn’t it. Southampton could probably get away with fielding a modestly weakened team and stand a good chance of beating us, but there’s certainly an argument that an FA Cup quarter final against a Premier League big gun, which would require the full deployment of their first team, is a game they really don’t need.

Winning the FA Cup, which would still be a long shot for them, would probably net them about £8m. Staying in the Prem meanwhile would be worth more than £80m. Genuinely makes you wonder if Marsch will be given the blessing of the So’ton board to play the yoof, doesn’t it?

Obviously, they won't want the embarrassment of going out to us.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
HertsGTFC
February 14, 2023, 11:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,020
Gold Stars: 232
So he’s been sacked for putting his club in danger of relegation and another club in deeper danger of relegation appoints him?

That would never happen in the real world. All feels a bit Fenty like to me

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
HerveJosse
February 14, 2023, 11:52am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,211
Gold Stars: 145
His main priority will be to see the full first team contenders get a game and get everyone playing to his system so with premier league clubs  having 20 plus first team contenders I don’t see us getting an easy ride particularly as his style is a high action press which we don’t like playing against
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
Maringer
February 14, 2023, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So he’s been sacked for putting his club in danger of relegation and another club in deeper danger of relegation appoints him?

That would never happen in the real world. All feels a bit Fenty like to me

It's certainly all a bit 'Ted Lasso'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 14, 2023, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Southampton are likely to play their less used players against us, which include people like Theo Walcott. If he has a good day it could be a very long evening for Messrs Waterfall, Smith et al.

And the forwards might have to get past former Champions League winner Willy Caballero.

Not to be underestimated.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
buckstown
February 14, 2023, 12:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Didn't we play Forest reserves earlier this season? Big mistake writing Southampton off whoever they play. (IMHO)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
OddShapedBalls
February 14, 2023, 12:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Approval: +1,195
Quoted from Maringer

With some of the older managers you can understand it - Big Sam for example did do very well with Bolton etc so they have some credit in the bank despite being crap at other clubs, but on the whole its a merry-go-round of the same names who never achieve sod all isn't it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
chaos33
February 14, 2023, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
I think Poojah’s point about the relative financial returns on the cup v the league is a good one, but it surprises me when middling to weak PL clubs don’t attach some sort of priority to the FA Cup. In reality, they have no chance of winning anything else, and there is the potential for European football and revenue streams associated with that. Guess we’ll see what they do. May feel their kids and/or reserves could/should beat us comfortably anyway, so if they do…I hope we are firing and turn them over. Miserable baskets for banning Harry. Hope we hire a gospel choir and the f**ing Red Arrows 🙂
UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
jimgtfc
February 14, 2023, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
Southampton are likely to play their less used players against us, which include people like Theo Walcott. If he has a good day it could be a very long evening for Messrs Waterfall, Smith et al.

And the forwards might have to get past former Champions League winner Willy Caballero.

Not to be underestimated.....

In all seriousness, I don’t think anyone is underestimating them. Just merely pointing out a few levelling factors maybe.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
diehardmariner
February 14, 2023, 1:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
The thing is, I don't think there's that much of an incentive financially towards getting into the Europa League, via the FA Cup.  Not if you're a Premier League club anyway.

Including TV revenue and winning all your games, you would get about £40million.  Of course that's not counting matchday revenue but for the earlier stages of the competition you're not getting much profit.  

That is an incredible amount of money, but it's half the annual minimum payment for staying in the Premier League.  The Europa League virtually always screws at least one club over each year in that it diverts attention, drains players, affects league form and isn't uncommon to see it drag a side into a relegation battle.

It's not a view I agree with, but you can see why most clubs hope they don't qualify for either the Europa League or Europa Conference League.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
coddy60
February 14, 2023, 1:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Anyone thinking Southampton may underestimate us is maybe forgetting the fact they have just been in SF of League Cup. A competition distinctly less appealing than the FA Cup, and also less lucrative. I don't think they got that far playing their reserves and yoof team....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 14, 2023, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from coddy60
Anyone thinking Southampton may underestimate us is maybe forgetting the fact they have just been in SF of League Cup. A competition distinctly less appealing than the FA Cup, and also less lucrative. I don't think they got that far playing their reserves and yoof team....

To be fair, their youth production line record in recent times isn’t too bad :

Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Ward-Prowse, Calum Chambers, Gareth bale, Luke Shaw and Theo Walcott. Am sure there’s many others too.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
TownSNAFU5
February 14, 2023, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
There is other potentially good news for our chances if you think about it:

Surely they cannot risk Ward-Prowse, their best and most influential player against us?  Not with 2 critical relegation battles a few days either side of this cup game.   As he takes all the freekicks (and is deadly with them) this means that other players have very little experience or opportunity here.

As said above,  do Southampton want to progress further in the FAC risking injuries and tiredness etc?  The effort and distraction could cost them a few points needed to stay up. Maybe their motivation and will to win is not top notch against us. Especially as we are a midtable Div 2 team with some poor recent league results.  

Southampton were only 3 places above Luton last Sat morning (if Luton get a point from their game in hand).  This sounds better than saying "A PL team".    A shock is certainly possible.  Some Southampton fans even think that we could beat them as they are so poor. I would much rather play them than inform Burnley just below them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
oochiad
February 14, 2023, 5:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Still all said and done they’re a premiership side with players of much more quality than ours which ever team they put out. It’s going to be very difficult however you look at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Gaffer58
February 14, 2023, 5:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Marsch will be on a very good bonus for keeping them in the premiership, think Dyche at Everton is quoted on a bonus of over £3 million, so Mr Marsch will be concentrating on the league (hopefully)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
ginnywings
February 14, 2023, 5:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
According to the BBC, Marsch is in talks with Southampton but there is still work to be done before a deal is concluded.

Not their manager yet by the sound of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 14, 2023, 6:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
There is other potentially good news for our chances if you think about it:

Surely they cannot risk Ward-Prowse, their best and most influential player against us?  Not with 2 critical relegation battles a few days either side of this cup game.   As he takes all the freekicks (and is deadly with them) this means that other players have very little experience or opportunity here.

As said above,  do Southampton want to progress further in the FAC risking injuries and tiredness etc?  The effort and distraction could cost them a few points needed to stay up. Maybe their motivation and will to win is not top notch against us. Especially as we are a midtable Div 2 team with some poor recent league results.  

Southampton were only 3 places above Luton last Sat morning (if Luton get a point from their game in hand).  This sounds better than saying "A PL team".    A shock is certainly possible.  Some Southampton fans even think that we could beat them as they are so poor. I would much rather play them than inform Burnley just below them.

Amen. Burnley would batter us the way they are playing at the moment. They'd batter most teams outside of the top half of the Prem.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
denni266
February 14, 2023, 6:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Anyone thinking that a weakend prem side is going to be easy needs to think again. Their playes are at a prem club for a reason .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
Chrisblor
February 14, 2023, 6:26pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,971
Gold Stars: 242
Tommy Forecast used to be a Southampton reserves player, i'm not gonna be overly concerned about how good they are.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
Gaffer58
February 14, 2023, 9:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from denni266
Anyone thinking that a weakend prem side is going to be easy needs to think again. Their playes are at a prem club for a reason .

How many time in the FA & League cups when a premiership team “rest” the majority of their first eleven do the underdogs win,also how many U23 teams have won,or even got to Wembley in the cup for league 1 and 2 clubs, sorry cannot remember what it’s called at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
February 15, 2023, 3:14pm
Guest User
Seems Marsch has turned Southampton down.

They wanted him to the end of the season, and he wanted longer.

Edit: (from a Saints fan) "Marsch out and Harry Haddock in. It's a funny old game."
Reply: 30 - 37
AdamHaddock
February 15, 2023, 3:19pm

Main Stander
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
Saints not going Marsching in

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 15, 2023, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Saints not going Marsching in

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
grimsby pete
February 16, 2023, 2:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
In his interview they asked him , Can you keep us up ?

He replied, yes I have no doubts in my mind I am sure I can.

Ok the job is yours until June and if we are still in the premiere league you will have a two year contract.

No sorry he replied I can not except that offer.

Bye then !!

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
Garth
February 16, 2023, 9:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from grimsby pete

Ok the job is yours until June and if we are still in the premiere league you will have a two year contract.

Bye then !!

Sat there taking notes were you Pete, was it you that solved Harry Haddock scandal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
grimsby pete
February 16, 2023, 11:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Garth

Sat there taking notes were you Pete, was it you that solved Harry Haddock scandal

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
jamesgtfc
February 16, 2023, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,054
Quoted from grimsby pete

Bye then !!

You have to look after number 1. A longer deal would show faith on their part but also ensure Marsch gets a nice pay off when he almost inevitably gets sacked within 12-18 months.

Good on him for turning it down I say.

At the bottom of the Prem, I'm hoping Everton can do it. I really rate Sean Dyche.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
OddShapedBalls
February 16, 2023, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Approval: +1,195
"So you definitely want the job then?"

"Yep"

"Great, your first proper game in charge will be Grimsby at home"

"Oh, no then"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marsch to Southampton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.