5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
January 5, 2023, 1:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,889
Gold Stars: 1,527
Some interesting data coming out of the ever-intriguing Experimental 3-6-1 site. First up, the League Two table based on xG (or expected goals).

In a nutshell, it estimates that we should have been expected to score a further 10 goals, carrying us up 11 places from 16th to 5th, above both Leyton Orient (currently top) and Northampton (currently 3rd).

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/01/2023-01-02-103.png[/img]

Some understandably question how meaningful xG actually is, but taken at face value it really does underline how season-defining our ability to recruit a top striker or two in the window could be.

Perhaps even more surprising is the xG progression of the Salford game, which suggests we should have run out comfortable winners.

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/01/2022-12-29-grimsby-salford.png[/img]

That’s possibly a questionable outlook, and the data is no doubt influenced by the fact that they sat back in the second half, but does perhaps suggest the overall performance was better than the result, which was defined by a handful of great finishes, individual mistakes and flukey deflections.

Do with it what you will, I just thought it was mildly interesting.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Mariner_09
January 5, 2023, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
From what I've seen, all the, what statisticians call, big indicators, have us much further down the league than we should be. Those include shots on target, big chances conceded, progressions up the pitch, time spent in opposition half, passes into the final third and touches in the box. We're well in the top half of most of those I think, suggesting we've underperformed in terms of points relative to our actual performances.

As Poojah says, merely indicates that signing the right striker this window could really make or break our season. 5 points of the playoffs with a game in hand. Imagine if the table looked like that one!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
Les Brechin
January 5, 2023, 2:02pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
Not into all this xG crap.

The only statistic that matters is how many times you put the ball into the net!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
Limerick Mariner
January 5, 2023, 2:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Poojah
Some interesting data coming out of the ever-intriguing Experimental 3-6-1 site. First up, the League Two table based on xG (or expected goals).

In a nutshell, it estimates that we should have been expected to score a further 10 goals, carrying us up 11 places from 16th to 5th, above both Leyton Orient (currently top) and Northampton (currently 3rd).

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/01/2023-01-02-103.png[/img]

Some understandably question how meaningful xG actually is, but taken at face value it really does underline how season-defining our ability to recruit a top striker or two in the window could be.

Perhaps even more surprising is the xG progression of the Salford game, which suggests we should have run out comfortable winners.

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/01/2022-12-29-grimsby-salford.png[/img]

That’s possibly a questionable outlook, and the data is no doubt influenced by the fact that they sat back in the second half, but does perhaps suggest the overall performance was better than the result, which was defined by a handful of great finishes, individual mistakes and flukey deflections.

Do with it what you will, I just thought it was mildly interesting.

Reflects the two-goal salvo, a schoolboy error followed by a freak goal, that sank us when we were on top after the equaliser.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
mimma
January 5, 2023, 2:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Could someone please explain to a mere simpleton what xG is and how they work it out?
Looks like something that a statistition with no knowledge of football has come up with.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
Grantley
January 5, 2023, 2:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from mimma
Could someone please explain to a mere simpleton what xG is and how they work it out?
Looks like something that a statistition with no knowledge of football has come up with.

The expected number of goals based off quality of the shots you take, based on factors like where the shot is taken etc. a penalty or shot from 6 yards out has a far higher xG than a popshot from 30 yards.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
Chrisblor
January 5, 2023, 2:17pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
Quoted from mimma

Some nerds basically determine the statistical likelihood of scoring a goal from each attempt, based on things like distance from goal, angle, body part used and some subjective shite like if it's a 'big chance' and the 'pattern of play', and then give it a score from 0 (no chance of ever scoring a goal) to 1 (100% chance of scoring a goal). Basically if a chance has an xG of 0.79 (such as a penalty), then it should result in a goal 79 times out of 100 (statistically 79% of penalties are converted into goals). Someone hitting a backheeled shot from 30 yards at an acute angle would probably be given an xG on the effort of like 0.02. I don't massively rate it as a method for analysing the performance of a team within a match or over a season - I think really all it does is tell you is if you've got some good or poor finishers in your team (and it seems our finishing this season has been poor based on xG).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
Gaffer58
January 5, 2023, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
If there had been xG data about 40 years ago then it would have been saying I would have got laid every night, but as always in the real world it wasn’t quite like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
Poojah
January 5, 2023, 2:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,889
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Les Brechin

The only statistic that matters is how many times you put the ball into the net!

In terms of points, of course, but there’s a reason club’s employ data analysts; it helps you understand the where and the why behind the bottom-line results you’re getting.

For me, this helps reaffirm what we already know - that we’re light in quality when it comes to what happens in the box. If we can solve that in the window, I honestly believe we have an exciting rest of the season ahead of us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
Limerick Mariner
January 5, 2023, 2:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
So, us and Stockport are the biggest movers upwards, may be worth a punt for us both to reach the play-offs (if we sign that striker).

I recall looking at something similar for our 2016 promotion season - we were way out at the top.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2023, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,788
Gold Stars: 237
There are many ways to win a football match but all the statistics,  all the data mean diddly squat.

A long ball team can have a winning formula and an ultra passing team can have a winning formula, which is one of football's many joys.

The only thing that matters is how many goals you score, and any near misses, goals you should have scored or chances missed are irrelevant.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
ginnywings
January 5, 2023, 2:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Those dismissing data are missing the point. It helps enormously if you analyse it correctly. Just ask Brentford.

It's the same principle as highlighted in the film moneyball.

All this data has done, as Poojah says, is confirm what we all know and PH knows. We don't score enough when on top in games and we need players who statistically score more of their chances.

In terms of performances this season, I think we have been generally good and I haven't seen many teams who are demonstrably better than us. They just score more of the chances that come their way.

Fix that conundrum and we will rise up the table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2023, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Those dismissing data are missing the point. It helps enormously if you analyse it correctly. Just ask Brentford.

All this data has done, as Poojah says, is confirm what we all know and PH knows. We don't score enough when on top in games and we need players who statistically score more of their chances.

In terms of performances this season, I think we have been generally good and I haven't seen many teams who are demonstrably better than us. They just score more of the chances that come their way.

As you say you don't need data analysis to tell you that?!

Funny thing is adding a player who "scores more goals" upsets the balance in other areas making the previous data meaningless.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
Mariner_09
January 5, 2023, 3:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

We do seem to give away more daft goals than we score. Not many come to mind where the opposition has gifted us a goal, like Salford's second, and I can recall several quality goals scored from outside the box that will have an xG of about 0.05. These things tend to balance themselves out over the course of a season though.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 41
Abdul19
January 5, 2023, 3:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220
I do find stuff like this interesting, but it baffles me sometimes: how was Matt Smith's total xg against us 0.6 when one of his goals was a header from about 5 yards out? (surely that would be at least that much on its own?)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
Mariner_09
January 5, 2023, 3:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
I do find stuff like this interesting, but it baffles me sometimes: how was Matt Smith's total xg against us 0.6 when one of his goals was a header from about 5 yards out? (surely that would be at least that much on its own?)

Good point, but the other two will be worth very little between them, one was a scuff into the ground and it's hit his standing leg, the other is one you'd actually expect Max to save, bet they're barely worth 0.1 between them.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
Les Brechin
January 5, 2023, 3:40pm

Quoted from Mariner_09

Good point, but the other two will be worth very little between them, one was a scuff into the ground and it's hit his standing leg, the other is one you'd actually expect Max to save, bet they're barely worth 0.1 between them.

I can't remember which team it was but was watching a game on MOTD and one team scored 4 but their xG was something like 1.75?

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 41
Son of Cod
January 5, 2023, 3:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Chrisblor

Some nerds basically determine the statistical likelihood of scoring a goal from each attempt, based on things like distance from goal, angle, body part used and some subjective shite like if it's a 'big chance' and the 'pattern of play', and then give it a score from 0 (no chance of ever scoring a goal) to 1 (100% chance of scoring a goal). Basically if a chance has an xG of 0.79 (such as a penalty), then it should result in a goal 79 times out of 100 (statistically 79% of penalties are converted into goals). Someone hitting a backheeled shot from 30 yards at an acute angle would probably be given an xG on the effort of like 0.02. I don't massively rate it as a method for analysing the performance of a team within a match or over a season - I think really all it does is tell you is if you've got some good or poor finishers in your team (and it seems our finishing this season has been poor based on xG).

If you're not sure what xG is and you're only going to take notice of one post in this thread then this is the one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
OddShapedBalls
January 5, 2023, 4:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Les Brechin

Do you write your team name on the back of a cigarette packet too?  - I'm only joking btw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
OddShapedBalls
January 5, 2023, 4:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
There are many ways to win a football match but all the statistics,  all the data mean diddly squat.

A long ball team can have a winning formula and an ultra passing team can have a winning formula, which is one of football's many joys.

The only thing that matters is how many goals you score, and any near misses, goals you should have scored or chances missed are irrelevant.

Who was the first chap to really analyse football games?  Can't remember off the top of my head but anyway he discovered that the vast majority of goals were scored in 3 passes or less from his data, and everyone immediately decided that this meant long ball was the best way to score goals without thinking about the fact a high press to turnover ball near the opposition box would also result in a '3 passes or less' goal etc.   The data is only as good as the person reading it really

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
Les Brechin
January 5, 2023, 4:50pm

Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Do you write your team name on the back of a cigarette packet too?  - I'm only joking btw

[youtube]6PbP_pIgR4s[/youtube]

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
coddy60
January 5, 2023, 5:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13

Who was the first chap to really analyse football games?  Can't remember off the top of my head but anyway he discovered that the vast majority of goals were scored in 3 passes or less from his data, and everyone immediately decided that this meant long ball was the best way to score goals without thinking about the fact a high press to turnover ball near the opposition box would also result in a '3 passes or less' goal etc.   The data is only as good as the person reading it really

John Beck?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
DB
January 5, 2023, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391

Like him or loathe him I believe the late Don Revie was one of the first to keep an analysis of players. Whether he included data on the actual games or not I don't know.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2023, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker

Howard Wilkinson maybe?

You can often reach the wrong conclusions when reading data, and what might be a solution for one team, would not work for another with the same data.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
RichMariner
January 5, 2023, 5:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
My general issue with xG is two fold:

a) I feel it's very on-trend, and far too many kids are crying over it as if it's more worthy than the goals column

b) who questions the validity of how it's calculated? For example, looking at the data provided during that Salford game, it looks like Khan's chance (which he scored) was about 0.4, so 40% of the time from that position, in those exact circumstances, he'll score, 60% of the time he'd be expected to miss.

But then you look at Salford's fourth. It jumps by about 0.3, yet the bloke heads it in, relatively unchallenged, three yards out. Is the data suggesting he'd only likely convert that chance 30% of the time? Because most footballers will bury a header from that range. I'd personally put it at 0.8 or 0.9.

So who is making these decisions? Obviously someone is watching; something (programmatic or robotic) is measuring. I'd question the quality of that programming.

We might still be forming opinions on an unreliable methodology. People have bought into it, almost without question or scrutiny.

It's trying to make something subjective, objective. It's not as black and white as 'did the ball cross the line' or 'was he offside'? Attaching value to a unique set of circumstances is incredibly difficult to put a number to, so there's masses of mistrust from me, and mistrust towards people who put too much faith/value in it (for now).

Maybe I need educating more, but I think it's healthy to question the validity of most things.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
ginnywings
January 5, 2023, 5:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
All teams do data analysis now, suggesting there is little to be gained by doing so, because everyone else is.

But if you don't do it, then you would be at a disadvantage compared to others, so it's become a big part of the game.

I think that is why some fans are baffled by team selections and the use of substitutes during games. The management have training data and up to the minute match data that we are not privy to.

For instance, injuries are more likely to occur when a players recovery rate has dropped below a certain parameter and can be the reason he's replaced, even though he appears to be having a good game.

We often hear fans say how someone is blowing out of his ar$e and they couldn't understand why he was kept on, but the data is probably telling a different story.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
LN8Mariner
January 5, 2023, 6:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9

Charles Hughes

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 5, 2023, 6:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,025
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Les Brechin

And how many the ball ends up In yours !

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
TownSNAFU5
January 5, 2023, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Data can be selective and used to support any point of view needed.

I saw a stat this week that Leeds had faced 55 good chances against them this season.  The most in the PL. The number includes goals against and chances that should have conceded a goal.

Despite this Leeds are not in the bottom 3 and will probably stay up.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
jamesgtfc
January 5, 2023, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,052
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
My general issue with xG is two fold:

a) I feel it's very on-trend, and far too many kids are crying over it as if it's more worthy than the goals column

b) who questions the validity of how it's calculated? For example, looking at the data provided during that Salford game, it looks like Khan's chance (which he scored) was about 0.4, so 40% of the time from that position, in those exact circumstances, he'll score, 60% of the time he'd be expected to miss.

But then you look at Salford's fourth. It jumps by about 0.3, yet the bloke heads it in, relatively unchallenged, three yards out. Is the data suggesting he'd only likely convert that chance 30% of the time? Because most footballers will bury a header from that range. I'd personally put it at 0.8 or 0.9.

So who is making these decisions? Obviously someone is watching; something (programmatic or robotic) is measuring. I'd question the quality of that programming.

We might still be forming opinions on an unreliable methodology. People have bought into it, almost without question or scrutiny.

It's trying to make something subjective, objective. It's not as black and white as 'did the ball cross the line' or 'was he offside'? Attaching value to a unique set of circumstances is incredibly difficult to put a number to, so there's masses of mistrust from me, and mistrust towards people who put too much faith/value in it (for now).

Maybe I need educating more, but I think it's healthy to question the validity of most things.

It's very complex, Smiths header for Salford may be lower because you would also expect a defender or the keeper to collect the ball.

Playing devils advocate here as I've seen people saying our xG highlights our need for a striker to convert them. What if our xG is actually coming from midfielders and defenders at set pieces?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
Maringer
January 5, 2023, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from LN8Mariner

Charles Hughes

Nope, Wing Commander Reep:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Reep

As for xG, it's so arbitrary in many regards, that I don't think it really provides much useful information, however much the sports scientists like it. If I understand it correctly, it doesn't take into consideration anything to do with the actual abilities of the players, just an analysis of factors which somehow decide how 'good' a chance is. However, you can't ignore the individual aspect because, fundamentally, some players are good finishers and others are not. A chance from 1 yard might be expected to be converted 9 times out of 10 but for some players, you're talking perhaps 3 or 4 of those being scored!

I also wouldn't necessarily agree that all we're lacking is a goalscorer to turn our 'xG' into real goals. We do manage some pretty good approach play on occasion but a lot of the reason for a lack of goals is as much inaccurate crossing as poor finishing. If the final cross is just behind the player or just a little too high, it's not a great chance whatever the angle or distance from goal. No doubt a better striker would still manage to convert more of these difficult chances, but I don't think anybody can seriously say that we've played well enough to be in the play-off spots for most of the season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
OddShapedBalls
January 6, 2023, 9:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Nope, Wing Commander Reep:

As for xG, it's so arbitrary in many regards, that I don't think it really provides much useful information, however much the sports scientists like it. If I understand it correctly, it doesn't take into consideration anything to do with the actual abilities of the players, just an analysis of factors which somehow decide how 'good' a chance is. However, you can't ignore the individual aspect because, fundamentally, some players are good finishers and others are not. A chance from 1 yard might be expected to be converted 9 times out of 10 but for some players, you're talking perhaps 3 or 4 of those being scored!

I also wouldn't necessarily agree that all we're lacking is a goalscorer to turn our 'xG' into real goals. We do manage some pretty good approach play on occasion but a lot of the reason for a lack of goals is as much inaccurate crossing as poor finishing. If the final cross is just behind the player or just a little too high, it's not a great chance whatever the angle or distance from goal. No doubt a better striker would still manage to convert more of these difficult chances, but I don't think anybody can seriously say that we've played well enough to be in the play-off spots for most of the season.

That's the chap!  I remember him doing an interview years ago where he said he preferred passing, attacking football but his name had become synonymous with 'long ball'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
OddShapedBalls
January 6, 2023, 9:44am
Table Wine Drinker
What I would like to see from the League is a stat pack like this one that the Union has, very interesting reading to kill a few minutes:  https://www.unitedrugby.com/statistics

My other team being the Scarlets it's something I like to look at occasionally but again shows how stats alone don't tell the full story.  For example we have the 4th best attack out of 16 teams and the 7th best defence according to the measures used....but are 15th out of 16 teams in the league with only 2 wins all season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
pen penfras
January 6, 2023, 10:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's very complex, Smiths header for Salford may be lower because you would also expect a defender or the keeper to collect the ball.

Playing devils advocate here as I've seen people saying our xG highlights our need for a striker to convert them. What if our xG is actually coming from midfielders and defenders at set pieces?

I didn't think it has anything to do with a defender would normally get it, it's to do with once the 'shot' has been struck, how likely that is to result in a goal.

I don't think the statistics are as good at this level as in the premier league, there's not as much money for the people to do the analysis and the quality of player is different.

It's also complicated, because it only says that we should have scored more goals than we have, which suggests having a fox in the box type would bring us more goals. But it's not so simple because if we had say an Amond that scored these chances, we'd be losing the build up part that Taylor contributes and likely have fewer chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
buckstown
January 6, 2023, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Has anyone told Johnny Mc that 79% of penalties end in goals??
Charles Hughes was the guy that influenced Graham Taylor when he took Watford from division four to one. Not pretty but very effective
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
mimma
January 6, 2023, 10:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
I'm all for statistics and analysis but this Xg thingy is one statistic too far.
Put simply, it's a load of sh1te.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
lew chaterleys lover
January 6, 2023, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I didn't think it has anything to do with a defender would normally get it, it's to do with once the 'shot' has been struck, how likely that is to result in a goal.

I don't think the statistics are as good at this level as in the premier league, there's not as much money for the people to do the analysis and the quality of player is different.

It's also complicated, because it only says that we should have scored more goals than we have, which suggests having a fox in the box type would bring us more goals. But it's not so simple because if we had say an Amond that scored these chances, we'd be losing the build up part that Taylor contributes and likely have fewer chances.

I made the point in your last paragraph earlier - it would be OK if you can add a striker to the existing team to covert the chances but you are not allowed 12 players! The whole dynamic changes making the previous set of statistics worthless.

Hurst strikes me as the sort of fella who would be level headed about the use of data and take the more pertinent aspects of it and take this fantasy xg with a pinch of salt.

Having said that I suppose statistics play a part in who we let go in terms of how much running they do, say somebody like Maguire Drew. You could make an argument against that saying the only stats that really matter is how many chances and goals he makes and scores.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
diehardmariner
January 6, 2023, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
It's all too subjective for my liking, as highlighted by many posts here. I also say that as someone who spends a lot of time analysing and interpreting data.

For all the xG data around Town, I'm not convinced we're creating that many chances we should be burying, I think the issue is further back in the team that we're not creating enough chances to start with, be that through a creative midfielder or someone to lead the line in the first place.   Which massively brings into question further the subjective nature of what is a 'good chance'.  Far, far too many variables at play to say Shot X has this chance of being a goal and Header Y this.  I think that's the beauty of football too, it's not just played on a spreadsheet.

Data is huge in football these days.  Also pleasing to see Town are using it far more than we ever have done before.  But I don't think using metrics like xG alone is enough.

As a sidenote, data in football has largely emerged through the gambling industry.  A lot of the firms who provide that data are happy to share to a wider audience.   You have to question why they would want that to be out in the open if it's almost like a cheat code...

Ultimately the only stats that count are goals scored, goals conceded and points gained.  Whatever you can do to improve them is of course important, but sometimes you can't explain football with statistics.  
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
pen penfras
January 6, 2023, 2:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

These pictures didn't show up for me before. That is so flawed, it's ridiculous. The 2nd and 3rd are deemed as similar chances because they're the same distance out, but the 2nd had a player driving through into space with loads of time to pick his spot and hit it true. The 3rd had 2 defenders on the turn and fluked it in. I'd back the 2nd chance to be a goal 1/3 of the time and the 3rd I doubt 1/20.

And to think that we deserved to win that game because we missed some decent chances when the game was out of sight is stupid. If they weren't 3 goals in front, they wouldn't have sat back like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
marinerjase
January 6, 2023, 4:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Quoted from pen penfras

These pictures didn't show up for me before. That is so flawed, it's ridiculous. The 2nd and 3rd are deemed as similar chances because they're the same distance out, but the 2nd had a player driving through into space with loads of time to pick his spot and hit it true. The 3rd had 2 defenders on the turn and fluked it in. I'd back the 2nd chance to be a goal 1/3 of the time and the 3rd I doubt 1/20.

And to think that we deserved to win that game because we missed some decent chances when the game was out of sight is stupid. If they weren't 3 goals in front, they wouldn't have sat back like that.

Never mind all that..answer the questions on the thread about office staff taking club to account for them leaving which you’ve avoided for over a week..you were the one who brought it up..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
pen penfras
January 6, 2023, 5:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase

Never mind all that..answer the questions on the thread about office staff taking club to account for them leaving which you’ve avoided for over a week..you were the one who brought it up..

Ask Jason Stockwood at the fans forum. I'm not messing up people's legal claims by posting details on a forum, but there are several former employees that are taking action against the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 41
tanga_the_indestructible
January 6, 2023, 5:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5

Charles Reep:
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League Two - xG Data

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.