3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
NorthseaMariner
January 2, 2023, 10:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
What on earth has happened to the pitch? In the 50 years I’ve been going, until the last couple of years it always drained well and always in reasonable condition.

But yesterday it was in a poor state and it’s only early January. Admittedly the weather hasn’t been great, but not exceptionally bad either.

I think we’ve spent money on improving the drainage, but it’s still a mess.

Don’t know what can be done about it, but looks like something is urgently needed.
Logged Online
Private Message
aldi_01
January 2, 2023, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
What on earth has happened to the pitch? In the 50 years I’ve been going, until the last couple of years it always drained well and always in reasonable condition.

But yesterday it was in a poor state and it’s only early January. Admittedly the weather hasn’t been great, but not exceptionally bad either.

Don’t know what can be done about it, but looks like something is urgently needed.

It’s nigh on 100 years old (I’m well aware it’s been replaced) and I’d imagine the knock on effect of furloughing thr groundsman which meant the pitch went to rack and ruin for a year hasn’t helped…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2023, 10:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

Check out some of the historic footage on You Tube etc.. yes it clearly has not stood up well in the last few weeks but I don’t think it’s always been brilliant up until now.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Yossarian
January 2, 2023, 10:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
The Town v Man City game from the mid 80s was a mud-fest of epic proportions.    Happy days!

But yes, I saw the highlights of yesterday's match and thought it looked a bit rough and stodgy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
NorthseaMariner
January 2, 2023, 10:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Yes, maybe my memory is a tad clouded, probably due to the fact all pitches were much heavier than they are nowadays.

But it doesn’t change the fact something needs to be done.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
LH
January 2, 2023, 10:24am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
They’ve been training on it a bit lately cause Cheapside was waterlogged.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
ginnywings
January 2, 2023, 10:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
We have had a lot of rain. Currently in York and the river is up and covering the footpaths, on the verge of widespread flooding if we get any more.

Weather patterns are changing and causing havoc. The pitch was frozen not so long back.

There was a lot of work done on the pitch in the summer. All the grass was scraped off and re-seeded, so they are trying their best to keep it in good nick, but nature wins mostly.

It probably wants taking up and relaying with more modern systems and grasses, but that is a big expense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
denni266
January 2, 2023, 10:26am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Seen it in a lot worse states in the past . Going back to when there was a game there every week when we had a reserve team . We have had quite a lot of rain this last few weeks and the sun is low and grass does not grow in the winter so it is expected to get damaged to some degree.. And if someone wants to put a team together that in their words plays football you are on a looser when the winter sets in as all pitches will suffer
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
January 2, 2023, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,779
Gold Stars: 237
I saw someone on the Stockport forum saying the match should never have started it was that bad.

Surely that is hyperbole - it was perfectly playable considering the time of year.

Knowing the intricacies of your own pitch is one of many advantages of being at home so let Stockport moan all they like.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
DB
January 2, 2023, 10:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
I saw someone on the Stockport forum saying the match should never have started it was that bad.

Surely that is hyperbole - it was perfectly playable considering the time of year.

Knowing the intricacies of your own pitch is one of many advantages of being at home so let Stockport moan all they like.

It's a case of sour grapes, it was the same for both teams, and as mentioned, the Stockport pre-match churned it up a bit more.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Blundell Park pitch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.