2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdeano
December 22, 2022, 9:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
https://twitter.com/D5Football/status/1605976452435935232?t=tPBAtP-Qd2PQUq6I7WczQg&s=19

Could be a great January target for us. Wasn't he at Scunny?
Logged Offline
Private Message
ex-merseymariner
December 22, 2022, 10:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9

Heard of search engines?  

I'd be very surprised if hurst signed him given the circumstances of him leaving Scunny.

Barnett or Apter would be less unlikely targets but you've hardly set the bar high.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Maringer
December 22, 2022, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
I've liked the look of Barnett every time I've seen him play against us. Would be happy to see us sign him, though I realise it is unlikely.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
MuddyWaters
December 22, 2022, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Barnett is class but I’m not sure another wide attacker is what we need right now.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
promotion plaice
December 23, 2022, 12:19am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from Marinerdeano
https://twitter.com/D5Football/status/1605976452435935232?t=tPBAtP-Qd2PQUq6I7WczQg&s=19

I've noticed I'm dribbling more now I'm in my early sixties !!!

Dribbles ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
DB
December 23, 2022, 6:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Marinerdeano

But can he score goals on a regular basis? We can get the ball into the opponent's box but it's then we misfire.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
fishboyUTM
December 23, 2022, 6:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Barnett is class but I’m not sure another wide attacker is what we need right now.

It's exactly what we need IMO. I'm happy with Max Crocombe and the whole back four with plenty of quality competition. We are short in the wide areas with JMD reportedly gone for good and Stephen Wearne not fancied by PH. We are short in all three out and out attacking positions. Wearne is on fire at Torquay by all accounts, maybe he needs the promise of a run at Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2022, 8:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from fishboyUTM

It's exactly what we need IMO. I'm happy with Max Crocombe and the whole back four with plenty of quality competition. We are short in the wide areas with JMD reportedly gone for good and Stephen Wearne not fancied by PH. We are short in all three out and out attacking positions. Wearne is on fire at Torquay by all accounts, maybe he needs the promise of a run at Town.

I heard that Hurst wanted Barnett last year (played for him at Shrews) but Solihull offered more money and we’re closer to home.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
fishboyUTM
December 23, 2022, 9:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I heard that Hurst wanted Barnett last year (played for him at Shrews) but Solihull offered more money and we’re closer to home.

If he wants to waste away in non league then we probably don't want players with his mindset anyway. I would like to improve on our front three though. The strong number nine is accepted as required I think but I do think we can improve on the lads either side. The loanees haven't worked out. Perhaps we already have the players here.

Personally, I'd play Otis Khan wide right in the three (not left as he can't shield the ball with his travelling foot as he shows every week), perhaps Sean Scannell will return. Stephen Wearne seems to be on form at Torquay, maybe he needs a run of games.

I'd love to see Charles Vernam wide left but he's playing at Lincoln now I think. Brendan Kiernan has given his all for us, but he hasn't created enough chances nor found the net nearly enough. It would help a great deal if any of these wingers and full backs stopped turning the ball back into midfield when given the opportunity to get the sodomist in the box from wide areas! And our central midfielders need to get in the mixer as well. Green gives the other lads protection so they have no excuse not to get involved in the 18 yard box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
diehardmariner
December 23, 2022, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Waste away is probably a bit harsh.  End of the day it's a job to these lads, ones where they're not likely to make enough money to never work again.   If you've no affiliation with either club but the fifth tier side is closer to home and offering more money than the fourth tier one, can't blame the lad for taking the sensible option.

I think you're right about people in the box though.  The system we play doesn't really lend itself to our wingers hugging the touchline and then getting a delivery in, that's more the job of the overlapping full-back.  But be it the winger or the full-back, when they get to the point of delivery there's nothing in the middle so they end up cutting back.

Holohan had a bit more freedom earlier in the season to bomb on beyond the striker but that seems to have stopped lately.  I'd like to see him do more of that and whoever else the more attack minded midfielder is in there, like you said with Green screening anyway.   I think once we get Taylor or a proper striker in the side, McAtee effectively becomes the third midfielder anyway so that could work both ways.  On one side of the coin you've got McAtee able to lurk about rather than trying to lead the line, but it also means you've got two midfielders who, in theory, can push a bit further forward knowing they've got someone covering them when they do so.

Interesting that Wearne's getting good reviews.  Don't think he's had a fair crack of it so far here.  If he comes back and you add him to the mix with Khan, Kiernan and Scannell returning there's plenty of options and should be enough to create opportunities.  I know Kiernan gets criticised for his end product but we look a better side with him in it.  If we're to send him back, I want us to make an improvement on him rather than just send him back because he's not perfect.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Colclough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.