2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
acko338
December 21, 2022, 8:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
He looks to be getting regular minutes of playing time, and got 2 goals last night, which should help his confidence.

To me, this is what a loan period at a decent level can provide, that very irregular reserve fixtures cannot give to any fringe player, as it is expensive to arrange private behind closed doors fixtures, just to perhaps give one or two players some realistic time on a pitch in a competitive situation.

If he then returns at full fitness, then his chance of making the matchday squad are back in his own hands with the player trying to impress the management team during training sessions.

Hopefully, a good result all round !!

There is obviouly a decent player in there, who needs to stay fit and push to be ready to play.

Shaun Pearson will return in the same vein - ready to jump in if needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Rick12
December 21, 2022, 9:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from acko338
He looks to be getting regular minutes of playing time, and got 2 goals last night, which should help his confidence.

To me, this is what a loan period at a decent level can provide, that very irregular reserve fixtures cannot give to any fringe player,

Agree but it's a double edged sword as well for others. Loan players coming from higher up often take the position of those players in the  team . Knock on effect which reflects the dog eat dog culture of football.  You hear and read about it in training as well. Players comparing themselves to others and  the competitive nature of football can lead to training ground bust ups in house.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
diehardmariner
December 21, 2022, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
That competitive nature of football is good though, isn't it?  You want players to compare themselves to others and strive to be better.  It doesn't even have to be loan players, within your own core of players you want a competitive element.

If there are any players in our, or any, squad that sulk over competition rather than take the challenge on, then I can't imagine they've got the mental fortitude to have a successful career.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Rick12
December 21, 2022, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from diehardmariner
That competitive nature of football is good though, isn't it?  You want players to compare themselves to others and strive to be better.  It doesn't even have to be loan players, within your own core of players you want a competitive element.

If there are any players in our, or any, squad that sulk over competition rather than take the challenge on, then I can't imagine they've got the mental fortitude to have a successful career.
Yes, but it must be frustrating for lads in football who have the mental resolve to want to achieve but are capped by their technical ability and will only go so far in football. On the other hand you get players  in the game who have an abundance of talent but don't maximise it. It's why I've always admired the likes of Christiano Ronaldo and others who  strive mentally to do their best  alongside natural technical ability which  get the best out of their God given talents .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Mariner Timsky
December 21, 2022, 10:55am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Wearne v JMD on Boxing Day , , , funny how things work out eh

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
lukeo
December 21, 2022, 9:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,417
Gold Stars: 149
Wearne won potm for November
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Swansea_Mariner
December 22, 2022, 2:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
That's awesome, sounds like the perfect loan period!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Maringer
December 22, 2022, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
I'm looking forward to him coming back, all guns blazing and showing us what he can do after coming off the bench with 3 minutes to go.  

It would be nice if had a Vernam-style rejuvenation on loan, but it doesn't happen too often. Here's hoping...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
ska face
December 22, 2022, 3:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Prior to Tuesday I’d read he’d been underwhelming for them and want half the player he’d been whilst on loan. We’ll have to see what January holds.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
acko338
December 22, 2022, 5:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
He got their player of the month, so can't be playing thst badly !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
aldi_01
December 24, 2022, 5:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
I'm looking forward to him coming back, all guns blazing and showing us what he can do after coming off the bench with 3 minutes to go.  

It would be nice if had a Vernam-style rejuvenation on loan, but it doesn't happen too often. Here's hoping...

Ahhh, Charles Vernam, a fine example of a player who seemed to get better without kicking a ball. Stood out in a woeful team…

Good loan spell or not, I’m not expecting Wearne to come back here and get in the side. He’s done ‘alright’ at a bottom half conference side…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Maringer
December 24, 2022, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
There's no denying that Vernam got into a really good run of form after returning from his loan spell at Chorley and he was playing some really good stuff when the pandemic hit.

Hes struggled to establish himself elsewhere since then, but has been playing a division above us much of that time. His record at Bradford was decent enough for a forward who does much of his work in wide areas.

I'd be happy to see him back here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
arryarryarry
December 24, 2022, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
I would be surprised if both Wearne and JMD returned to GTFC.

I don't think Wearne is good enough and seeing an interview with JMD he talks as if he is staying there.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Maringer
December 24, 2022, 8:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The way in which Yeovil confidently announced JMD was going to sign permanently in January makes it pretty obvious it's a done deal. As I mentioned previously, my guess is that Hurst has a replacement lined up and they are waiting until that is announced before the JMD deal completes.

Somebody at Yeovil didn't get the memo.

I also reckon that Wearne will probably be on his way.

Perhaps Hurst is looking at different types of players to these two and not simple replacements? A change in the style of play, perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wearne out on loan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.