Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 274 Guests

How many games......

This thread currently has 2,179 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
It Bites
December 23, 2022, 7:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
I'm at about 700 over 41 years . Not great but I'm an out of towner
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
IowaMariner
December 24, 2022, 3:13pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +79
Gold Stars: 7
Not even close to those around 1800, and even way off It Bites and the 700 or so. But there might be an extenuating circumstance or two.
Wearing my smartest Statto Anorak, I reckon I’m at 245 across 1st team games (222, with 114 of these at away); 20 ressie games and just 3 youth team contests.
But not being from Grimsby or the area - I was actually born and raised in Bromley, yes apologies for Andy Woodman and what can be much boorishness at that club; have never lived in Grimsby or even in Lincs and have no ties to Grimsby at all. Throw in 40 plus years living abroad in the USA and Canada, and maybe 245 isn’t quite so bad.
I can only trace my support back to liking the club name and flying in the face of school mates who were all Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and such fans; I simply wanted to follow a real club.
Caught my first game in Feb. 1965 a 1-1 draw at Luton, whilst staying with a cousin in Tring. Thereafter, games were limited to Town playing away at southern teams such as Southend, Brentford, Gillingham and the like, and I didn’t make my first trip to Blundell Park until Aug. 1972 for the season opening home win against Rotherham after the McMenemy championship.
Since then I’ve gone to see Town whenever possible - I did live and work in Leeds and Harrogate for about three years in the late 70s/early 80s, and my folks retired to Sudbrooke just outside Lincoln around 1980, but trips to NE Lincs weren’t that frequent or that easy once I’d moved overseas.
Things ticked over until 2001; my wife (a native of Crowle who went to school in Scunny, sorry - Bromley and Scunny ties as part of a very shady past and I continued to fly the Mariners’ flag. But things got more complicated. Our son moved back to the UK to play, so trips back for us frequently took in game days to see him play either in England or north of the border until he returned to the US in 2010.
Now, we try and get back when we can to see Town, friends and family but advancing years, Covid, finances and all manner of other considerations have to be factored in. We were back for four games in Sep and Oct this year and hope to catch the last four games of the season come April and May (play-off games notwithstanding), to wrap up 2022-23 and for me to get closer to getting to my 250th Town game. Fingers crossed!. Once a Mariner, Always a Mariner.
From a well meaning Town fan of 58 years,
Iowa Mariner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.