6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
November 24, 2022, 10:12am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
I think we’re not as good as we were in 2016. The difference is it took about half a season to throw all the momentum away back then. I don’t think that will happen now. I expect a good transfer window in January and to build a promotion capable squad in the summer.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 53
Mariner_09
November 24, 2022, 10:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Comparing the 16/17 and 22/23 sides shows how much of a difference Omar made.

Crocombe v Macca

It’s Max, his handling, kicking and lack of errors make him an easy pick over Macca

Davies/Mills v Michee
Gowling/Collins v Waterfall/Smith/Maher
Andrew v Glennon

So we’ve got three centre halves better than any of those from 16/17. I think Michee is less limited than Davies, not as clever or good on the ball but I’d rather have Michee. Glennon v Andrew is an interesting one. Andrew was defensively vulnerable at first but improved quite dramatically as the season improved. On balance, I’d take him over Glennon for his extra athleticism

The midfield difference is massive:

Green v Comley
Morris v McAllister
Harry v Berrett
Holohan v Summerfield

We never saw McAllister for any meaningful period so I’m picking none of our 16/17 players.

Vernon v Taylor
Bogle v Orsi
Jackson v McAtee/Richardson/Simmonds/Bim

Again, if you want 4 forwards, I’m probably saying 3 of our current crop and then Omar. Although something happened with Jackson cos he’s gone on to have an excellent career at a much higher level than us.

So, on balance, I’m only taking 2 players from that squads and putting them into our current squad, let alone team. It just shows what that one top striker for the level will do.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 24, 2022, 11:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Think the initial Danny Collins would be a good shout for a starting place and think we shouldn’t be influenced by his last season when his legs had probably seen better days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
Mariner_09
November 24, 2022, 11:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Think the initial Danny Collins would be a good shout for a starting place and think we shouldn’t be influenced by his last season when his legs had probably seen better days.

Waterfall, Smith, Maher and Collins would be a great set of options. If I had to pick two though I'd say Smith and Waterfall, Waterfall for his threat in the opposition box as much as anything. Smudge cos he's just a class act.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
mariner91
November 24, 2022, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
The weaknesses in the 16/17 squad were not shown up because Bogle was in the form of his life. He was literally the most deadly striker in the FL at that stage and single handedly won us games. That squad would have been nowhere near the play offs without Bogle.

Many of the other signings were pretty poor. James Berrett, Ashley Chambers, Andrew Boyce, Sean McAllister, Rhys Browne and Tom Bolarinwa were all various shades of useless. Even some of the "better" signings weren't great such as Zak Mills, Luke Summerfield and Scott Vernon. I'd only take Danny Andrew over any of the signings made this season and the strikers because we're so reliant on an unfit Taylor.

The issue this season is that whilst none of the signings are useless they are all very workman like and we lack that little bit of quality in the final third. I still don't particularly rate any of our wide players other than Khan and PH has let himself down by not getting in any suitable striker to either partner or replace Taylor. If this squad had an inform Bogle up front, it would be in the top seven.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
November 24, 2022, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,789
Gold Stars: 237
I think a more pertinent question is whether the current team is better than the settled team that won the 3 play off games?

We did well to keep most of that squad together but I am not sure any of the summer signings have really impressed.

I am hoping for a repeat of last season that excellent January signings reinvigorate the team and the second half of the season is more settled.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
aussiej
November 24, 2022, 12:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +117
Gold Stars: 17
And there you go...   A lot of people saying Bogle made the difference with his goal scoring prowess...   which does not square up with all those who said one player does not make a difference but quite obviously it does...  So i say we should not be scared to invest in that player who would make a difference and we should find the money to buy that player...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
ska face
November 24, 2022, 1:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
I think a more pertinent question is whether the current team is better than the settled team that won the 3 play off games?

Think the big difference between now & the PO run is Fox in midfield and a settled & consistent front two.

At this stage last season Fox had really failed to impress and was finding his feet in an unsettled midfield alongside Hunt, Clifton and Coke. By the end of the season he was a completely different player.

The front two that dragged us into and through the POs in McAtee/Taylor haven’t played a single minute together this year, and their replacements haven’t been close to their level.

I just hope we’re able to get targets in the door early in Jan and settled, rather than drifting for a month then spending another month waiting for them to gel. Bit of consistency in the middle would also be a big help.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
mariner91
November 24, 2022, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from ska face

Think the big difference between now & the PO run is Fox in midfield and a settled & consistent front two.

At this stage last season Fox had really failed to impress and was finding his feet in an unsettled midfield alongside Hunt, Clifton and Coke. By the end of the season he was a completely different player.

The front two that dragged us into and through the POs in McAtee/Taylor haven’t played a single minute together this year, and their replacements haven’t been close to their level.

I just hope we’re able to get targets in the door early in Jan and settled, rather than drifting for a month then spending another month waiting for them to gel. Bit of consistency in the middle would also be a big help.

Nail on head. Green and Holohan have had some good spells but the midfield in general has been very ordinary. Fox bossed all three play off games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
MuddyWaters
November 24, 2022, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,289
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ska face

Nailed it. Ben Fox was possibly MoM in all three play off games. I suspect we’d still be non league without him.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A question

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.