Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › World Cup Match Thread and talk (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 284 Guests

World Cup Match Thread and talk (merged)

This thread currently has 57,183 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
December 18, 2022, 10:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 201

Not a fan of either but a great game to watch, delighted France didn't win back to back World Cups or we would never have heard the last of it.

The next Euro's should be interesting, we have nothing to fear with our young players coming through and gaining experience at the highest level imo.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 860 - 890
LH
December 18, 2022, 10:50pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
One of the all time great finals in any competition, won by the team captained by the man who is now almost certainly the greatest footballer of all time (international, club and personal honours put him far ahead of anyone for the Pele etc fans). I’d imagine Ronaldo has probably started on the mince pies, cheese board and port a few days early this year!

A fairly decent World Cup all in all - very good group stage with some great upsets (including the winners getting humbled), fairly average knockouts though but the final more than made up for it. No real stand out teams over the competition as a whole though. Might be something to do with the timing of the tournament though that.
Private Message
Reply: 861 - 890
aldi_01
December 19, 2022, 6:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m sure some will still go on abut Pele being the greatest ever but sadly, that ship has sailed, it sailed for me when Zidane came along but this World Cup win just catapults Messi in to another universe.

Ronaldo’s cat will have taken some kicking tonight that’s for sure. Mbappe is well on his way to being the best player in the world, he just need a move away from the comfort of PSG. To score a hat trick in the World Cup final and not win is minging too.

Difference between Messi/Mbappe and ronaldo? It’s not about them during the game, it’s about the team. Stepping up, taking that first penalty, that’s for the team, not for them.

I’m not buying the guff about it being w great World Cup but watching that final yesterday, I’ve now seen the second greatest game of 2022…thankfully I was at THE greatest game of 2022…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 862 - 890
Rick12
December 19, 2022, 7:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

Difference between Messi/Mbappe and ronaldo? It’s not about them during the game, it’s about the team. Stepping up, taking that first penalty, that’s for the team, not for them.

I agree Aldi it's about the team but sometimes you can't tactically stop magic, the only thing you can do is try to contain it as in the case of Messi and others throughout the history of the game. The issue with this is putting  bodies on one man or swarming him when he gets the ball  creates space for others to exploit the gaps.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 863 - 890
quebec38
December 19, 2022, 11:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
GOAT World Cup final. GOAT player for me.

Pleased France didn’t take back to back tournaments because that would have secured greatness for a team that I don’t think have been outstanding this time. Sure, they have been good - you need to be to reach a World Cup final, but they rode their luck against us and they were diabolical for 75 minutes of the final.

Argentina were cracking for the most part yesterday. England would have struggled that’s for sure. Breakaway second goal was about the best I can remember from the tournament as well. They have the perfect blend of craft and determination. Getting pegged back to 2-2 took huge character to then take the lead again, only to go to the well once more to win a shootout.

Makes me laugh to think how upset Ronaldo must have been to see Messi collect the trophy in his cape. Portugal were capable I think but Ronaldo would rather lose and it be all about him than win and play a supporting role.

Infantino is a disgusting bloke, ain’t he. I didn’t know much about him prior to taking over from Blatter other than he seemed like the smiley secretary. I was so hopeful of change within FIFA, excited for an end to the corruption and placing football back at the forefront. It’s just more of the same though isn’t it.
Private Message
Reply: 864 - 890
TownSNAFU5
December 19, 2022, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
For all the concerns about Mbappe’s pace, none of his Golden Boot goals came directly from his pace.  Ok, his penalty against Argentina after he was brought down whilst sprinting.  

Ronaldo and other very talented players have been described as making passes that other players don’t want to make or risk.

Messi makes passes that other top players can’t see, can’t do, or can’t see and do.  A good recent example was against Croatia.  He was running and dribbling at pace.  He also had the vision and quick-thinking to see that a forward pass was on.  

In a split second he decided when to release the ball and to whom.  He threaded a long pass directly forward to Alvarez. The pass was perfectly weighted to feet, and very close to defenders.  It was also unexpected and therefore impossible to defend against. Genius made to appear simple. Teamwork at its best.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 865 - 890
Manchester Mariner
December 19, 2022, 4:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 866 - 890
lukeo
December 20, 2022, 1:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,421
Gold Stars: 149
Brilliant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 867 - 890
jamesgtfc
December 20, 2022, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,054
Gold Stars: 190
Where's Golly? Not seen him on here for a while and he lost a bet!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 868 - 890
Hagrid
December 20, 2022, 1:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,524
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Where's Golly? Not seen him on here for a while and he lost a bet!

indeed!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 869 - 890
90 Pages Prev ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › World Cup Match Thread and talk (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.