3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 16, 2022, 5:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
It's a strange one, especially if it's performance related, which seems unlikely.

Doubt he'll be out of work for long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
HertsGTFC
November 16, 2022, 5:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from sisapon
askey would great for this club better than Billy liar Hurst.

I'll let that village know we've located their idiot then, will they come and collect you?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Ashby mariner
November 16, 2022, 6:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
I bet lenny is disappointed he started most games under Askey
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
TownSNAFU5
November 16, 2022, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
2 named York players have publicly said that the sacking was “madness” and “an outrageous decision”.

Some Trust members have cancelled their annual subs.

Another view expressed for the sacking is a fallout with the owner over expectations this season.  Askey thinks mid-table is realistic.  Henderson wants to be in the play-offs again.  A tall order.

Maybe the owner is one of these “Championship in 5 years” merchants.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
fishcake63
November 16, 2022, 8:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Stupid decision & one i hope haunts them further on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
The Yard Dog
November 16, 2022, 10:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Why do clubs feel the need to sack managers while in a reasonable position, very difficult for any club coming into the National League and expect to get promoted this season, with Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield spending power and now Southend finding their feet.

Arsenal could have sacked Arteta last season or the season before, but stuck with him and now reaping the rewards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
Mariner_09
November 16, 2022, 11:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I know this is the NL but I’ve kept count over the course of the season and already 27 of the 92 have changed manager for one reason or another (obviously Exeter have only changed their manager because Rotherham appointed their’s). However chairmen are far more trigger happy than they ever have been this year it seems. Hursty is now the 19th longest serving manager in the 92, and he hasn’t even done two years yet.

Now, this is an extreme case but reflective of a wider culture in football nowadays. It is why Hursty would do well to stay at Town if any ‘bigger’ clubs came calling as he’d go in and essentially be immediately under pressure, whereas it’s been shown here that he will be given time to ride through a tough patch. The whole of last winter was the worst form we’d ever been in while in non league apparently. The majority of chairmen nowadays would’ve pulled the trigger by mid to late December.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
diehardmariner
November 17, 2022, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Mariner_09
I know this is the NL but I’ve kept count over the course of the season and already 27 of the 92 have changed manager for one reason or another (obviously Exeter have only changed their manager because Rotherham appointed their’s). However chairmen are far more trigger happy than they ever have been this year it seems. Hursty is now the 19th longest serving manager in the 92, and he hasn’t even done two years yet.

Now, this is an extreme case but reflective of a wider culture in football nowadays. It is why Hursty would do well to stay at Town if any ‘bigger’ clubs came calling as he’d go in and essentially be immediately under pressure, whereas it’s been shown here that he will be given time to ride through a tough patch. The whole of last winter was the worst form we’d ever been in while in non league apparently. The majority of chairmen nowadays would’ve pulled the trigger by mid to late December.

Good post.  I don't get the trigger-happy culture in football either.  Of course there's times in football when it's just not working and you need a change, to admit that a mistake was made and sometimes quite early on.  Marcus Bignot for example.  From the outside looking in, it was harsh but we could all see where it was going.  But that's an exception, not the rule.  

In most jobs there's an expectation of six-months to a year to really find your feet.  Yet in football, which I appreciate is very different, you can comfortably have found yourself sacked and in another job altogether within that time-frame.  Managers should have a good general knowledge of the game, but it takes time to really get to know the club and the players...then tweak, adapt, put your own stamp on things and dare I say it try to grow something.  

Especially at lower league levels where there just simply is no margin for any error, it's no wonder managers are so risk averse because they can't afford to take the chance on playing a more expressive style, or giving that young lad in the reserves a chance.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
November 17, 2022, 10:03am
Guest User
Quoted from sisapon

Oh, another village has lost its idiot.

Reply: 18 - 21
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 17, 2022, 12:40pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from sisapon

Christ on a pogo stick!

If Hurst is Billy Liar, Id love to know what he thought of Holloway lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › York City in shock sacking of John Askey

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.